Am I understanding this correctly?

Juliet25

DIS Veteran
it’s been 10 years since we owned DVC (150 at BW). The Disney itch has not left me, and the desire to stay in deluxe is strong, so I’m looking into buying it again. 2042 is too close to consider a resale at BW, so I’m looking at BLT for a resale. As I understand it, if I buy BLT resale I cannot stay at Riviera, but all other DVC resorts are open to me? Future ones may or may not be depending on the condo association?

This is so different than when we bought direct in 2006. I was strongly considering Riviera but the restrictions for resale are too off-putting. I need to be able to tell my husband that we can sell it like we did last time. I don’t feel like that would be an option with Riviera.

This purchase is at least 6 months off, but I’m doing my research. My fave resorts are WL, BW, and BC, so I’d be happy being able to stay at any of those. Only one I don’t really care for is SSR.

it’s been 10 years since we owned DVC (150 at BW). The Disney itch has not left me, and the desire to stay in deluxe is strong, so I’m looking into buying it again. 2042 is too close to consider a resale at BW, so I’m looking at BLT for a resale. As I understand it, if I buy BLT resale I cannot stay at Riviera, but all other DVC resorts are open to me? Future ones may or may not be depending on the condo association?

This is so different than when we bought direct in 2006. I was strongly considering Riviera but the restrictions for resale are too off-putting. I need to be able to tell my husband that we can sell it like we did last time. I don’t feel like that would be an option with Riviera.

This purchase is at least 6 months off, but I’m doing my research. My fave resorts are WL, BW, and BC, so I’d be happy being able to stay at any of those. Only one I don’t really care for is SSR.
You will not be able to stay at Riviera, Villas at Disneyland Hotel or the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. Any other resort is basically up to DVC’s discretion depending on whether or not they consider expansions like Polynesian to be the same or different like Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek just as an example. Any brand new build I would not expect to stay there but who knows what DVC is doing nowadays.

The deals on direct right now are not as great as they were over the summer but they are bad....
If you buy resale and want to try Riviera you can always rent

I would not bet on making a profit selling this time, at least not for a few years.

I will say depending on when you are trying to get into BCV it can be hard..... I was on a waitlist for 7 months no luck for a trip last month

My fave resorts are WL, BW, and BC, so I’d be happy being able to stay at any of those.
If you don’t want to buy a 2042 resort, BWV, BCV and BRV (formerly VWL) are out, but you might look into CCV. However, in answer to your question earlier in your post, a BLT resale would allow you to book at any of those.

You will not be able to stay at Riviera, Villas at Disneyland Hotel or the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. Any other resort is basically up to DVC’s discretion depending on whether or not they consider expansions like Polynesian to be the same or different like Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek just as an example. Any brand new build I would not expect to stay there but who knows what DVC is doing nowadays.
I don’t think anyone should assume that CFW will have restrictions, or that there are not more changes up DVds sleeve.

Buying resale today puts you out of RIV and VDH, and potentially the cabins, but not a guarantee

Last edited:

If you remember the SSR that was, you might be surprised about how it is now.
The room refurbishment made wonders and now that Disney Springs is a destination with many fantastic restaurants, SSR has a good location too, especially if you're a foodie.
But it's true that it doesn't offer a good 11 months advantage.

I don’t thin anyone should assume that CFW will have restrictions, or that there are not more changes up DVds sleeve.

Buying resale today puts you out of RIV and VDH, and potentially the cabins, but not a guarantee
That’s fair, who knows what DVC will even do with anything at this point, it’s like trying to make reasoning of the actions of a cat

Thanks for the answers! These changes are making my head spin. I’m pretty happy with the OG resorts, so I’m not too worried about missing out on new ones (though I say that now…). I guess my big concern is being locked into one resort. I like BLT (also considering CC), but I don’t want it to be the only resort I’m allowed to stay at. Does buying in give me any guarantees about past resorts? I was thinking it was only future resorts I might not have access to.

And as far as SSR goes, I haven’t stayed there lately. Actually, the last time I was there I was pregnant with my 15 yo. Time flies! I remember SSR being the resort on offer when we bought BW (direct from Disney), but it just didn’t have the appeal of the monorail and, now, Skyliner resorts.

Thanks for the answers! These changes are making my head spin. I’m pretty happy with the OG resorts, so I’m not too worried about missing out on new ones (though I say that now…). I guess my big concern is being locked into one resort. I like BLT (also considering CC), but I don’t want it to be the only resort I’m allowed to stay at. Does buying in give me any guarantees about past resorts? I was thinking it was only future resorts I might not have access to.

And as far as SSR goes, I haven’t stayed there lately. Actually, the last time I was there I was pregnant with my 15 yo. Time flies! I remember SSR being the resort on offer when we bought BW (direct from Disney), but it just didn’t have the appeal of the monorail and, now, Skyliner resorts.
You’ll have access to the legacy resorts at least until their current deeds expire. The first ones you’d be locked out of at WDW would be Beach Club, Boardwalk, Boulder Ridge all of which expire in 2042. Assuming they come back as DVC, you likely won’t have access if you are a resale owner.

I don’t think anyone should assume that CFW will have restrictions, or that there are not more changes up DVds sleeve.

Assuming three things...and it's a huge assumption but again if three things were to happen:
1) Disney does a 180 on restrictions and releases Riv and all future projects from it's clutches and
2) The economy goes back to roaring again as inflation comes back down (I mean this SHOULD happen sooner or later) and
3) ROFR returns at some point

then this would be an absolute low point in resale. The best time to buy and actually have those contracts appreciate in value. Maybe not the 2042s as much but those buying BLT or CCV or even SSR or AKV will have bought at rock bottom prices and will more than likely be able to sell those contracts at a rather decent profit in the near future.

At the end of the day the only thing you are guaranteed is what is on your deed.

The rest is due to exchanges that are created by Disney.

We assume and hope you'll continue to be able to trade through the Buena Vista Trading Corporation into the other resorts, but at the end of the day your contract merely entitles you to your home resort.

If you remember the SSR that was, you might be surprised about how it is now.
The room refurbishment made wonders and now that Disney Springs is a destination with many fantastic restaurants, SSR has a good location too, especially if you're a foodie.
But it's true that it doesn't offer a good 11 months advantage.
I will say I liked SSR before the remodel
and like it more now....

It has a comfortable laid laid-back feel that I really enjoyed on our recent trip....
I actually spent a good deal of time at the pool working on a research project, while the kids played....

Assuming three things...and it's a huge assumption but again if three things were to happen:
1) Disney does a 180 on restrictions and releases Riv and all future projects from it's clutches and
2) The economy goes back to roaring again as inflation comes back down (I mean this SHOULD happen sooner or later) and
3) ROFR returns at some point

then this would be an absolute low point in resale. The best time to buy and actually have those contracts appreciate in value. Maybe not the 2042s as much but those buying BLT or CCV or even SSR or AKV will have bought at rock bottom prices and will more than likely be able to sell those contracts at a rather decent profit in the near future.
If the economy does a 180 and goes back to roaring, what would Disney's incentive to do the 180 on the restrictions?
The restrictions were put in place to drive people on the fence toward Disney...

Removing the restrictions would actually drive people toward resale, wouldn't it?

If the economy does a 180 and goes back to roaring, what would Disney's incentive to do the 180 on the restrictions?
The restrictions were put in place to drive people on the fence toward Disney...

Removing the restrictions would actually drive people toward resale, wouldn't it?
If, and I don't think there's a high percentage they do, but assuming IF they were to get rid of restrictions it would be in the near future. The economy is like trying to turn around a giant ship...it'll take a while. So again even though I'm not sold on them reneging on the restrictions if they were to do it it would be in the immediate future.

If, and I don't think there's a high percentage they do, but assuming IF they were to get rid of restrictions it would be in the near future. The economy is like trying to turn around a giant ship...it'll take a while. So again even though I'm not sold on them reneging on the restrictions if they were to do it it would be in the immediate future.
So what would disneys incentive be ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter