• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I the only one who doesn't like to cook on their vacation!??????

ilovediznee

Always planning our next trip home to Disney!!!
Maybe I'm strange, but I DO NOT cook while on vacation. Some breakfasts in the room with a kitchen, yes, but we are not there for lunch or dinner. After breakfast, we leave and we are gone until the parks close!

I save up for months just so i can enjoy not worrying about fixing food. All that time adds up to precious time we could be doing something else. You don't have to go to fancy sit down meals like usually do, but just going to a food court can save lots of time.

My idea of vacation is not cooking and especially when you stay in a villa with a kitchen and they only come the fourth day to clean, because then you still have the dishes.

Just wanted to share my point of view.

....and it's a fine point of view.

Your post points out one of the DVC's greatest assets.....choices! You don't like to cook so you don't. Others either like the convenience of grabbing some food in the resort home or the savings by "eating in", so they cook some meals. And I'm sure for some, cooking is a relaxing activity that they actually enjoy.

Even if someone doesn't cook, I'd think the refrigerator alone is a great feature!

Just like laundry.....I'm sure there are many who think the last thing they want to do on vacation is laundry (I'm one of them). But my DW thinks that is a great feature so she can do laundry before we go home and not face a big trunk full of dirty clothes.

I doubt that we will cook much, but I can definitely see saving time and money on breakfasts and evening snacks.

Not cooking? No problem....you have upped the ante and will be the proud owner of a large "kitchen decoration"! :D

I'm with ya..sort of.....

We too usually only cook breakfast in the room. "cook" is really not a valid term either...as a toaster for english muffins and some fruit really doesn't count as "cooking"???...

That said, now that we are no longer park commandos, we like coming back to the villa and relaxing. If we are there for an extended vacation, sometimes we enjoy just staying in one or two nights. We have enjoyed take out and also some prepared meals we picked up at the store that we just heated up. We really did enjoy the couple of eveings in too.

We just love having the choice of having a kitchen...most of the time we just look at the beautiful "decorations"...but, on occassion we do actually use the appliances!

WDW has so many great dining options, and we really enjoy checking out the other resorts in the evening and trying one of their dining rooms.

snacks maybe, meals, hasn't happened...yet. Hopefully it won't. You're right, vacation is vacation.

We're with you all the way!!! Maybe breakfast -- cereal, fruit, english muffin, but that's it. The frig is great for bottled water, soda & love the convenience for snacks. We look forward to eating out at all the wonderful restaurants -- it's part of our vacation.

We too love the flexibility of our DVC, to cook when and if we want to, it's nice just having the kitchen, if we're tired and don't want to go out, we can whip up something.

I make myself a pot of coffee in the morning, and that's all of the cooking that I do.:D :D

Look, when DW is asked, "What are you making for dinner?" she answers, "Reservations." Our excursions into "cooking" at WDW consist of putting pop tarts in the toaster and popcorn in the microwave. Having a stove and pots and pans does not necessitate their use and they can all rest easy while we are there.

yes, that white stove decoration does do a nice job boiling water for my ddil's tea, but that's all we've ever used it for. the toaster, coffee pot and refrigerator get much more of a workout. the washer/dryer doesn't feel neglected either. maybe we'll get something for our november trip to make the oven feel a little less neglected.

We've never cooked but do run down to the Boardwalk bakery and bring up the pastries for breakfast. Also have gotten pizza at Spoodles and taken it up to the room. We mostly enjoy having the fridge for coke and snacks! I don't hardly cook at home so my family would drop dead if all of a sudden I started cooking on vacation! :D

We aren't scheduled to make our first official DVC trip until May, but, even when we've have rooms with microwaves or kitchens, we rarely use them.

Its just that while we ususally like our room, we would rather be in park, or walking around a resort, stuff like that.

That said, I understand why some do cook, and its nice to have the option for the next 40 years or so.

:D

I did cook tacos for a birthday celebration for 15 last year but that is the only time. We also usually do toast and cereal for breakfast, but that's as elaborate as it's going to get. I'm with you that I don't want to be bothered with it while I'm on vacation.

I wouldn't say we "cook" but we do like having breakfast in and whatever snacks, wine, cheese, etc. we stock up on. The kitchen is also great for any "leftovers" from meals out. ;)

The extent of my cooking is: English muffins, coffee, pepperoni and cheese with crackers, wine, munchies and of course 55 on the nearest phone for WDW-dine!!!!

That stove decoration is just tooooooo pretty to get dirty.

We will probably cook some meals in the room for our trip this coming June. But it is only because there will be twelve of us and my neice wont be able to afford eating out all the time. Mainly plan to keep breakfast foods (cereal, doughnuts, rolls) and lunch meat in the room. Will probably also get some prepared foods to zap real quick. The best thing about it is being able to have pop, tea, and milk in the fridge. My family drinks more than a gallon of milk a day, it sure gets expensive buying it at the shops at the resorts. I will still go to a few of my character meals but my neice probably wont do as many as I will. That's the beauty of it, some of us can eat out and others eat in!

Those kitchen decorations don't even get much use in my own home as I hate cooking -- let's just say I'm a menace in the kitchen and I don't relish the thought of going to the emergency room every time I want a real meal--so I'm definitely not cooking on vacation. That's why Disney hires all those world class chefs!!!

I can hardly find the interest to cook for my family at home let alone on vacation. Maybe we'll order a pizza here or there. Breakfast is quick too, whatever we can manage to have come out of the toaster. All the comforts of home!!

Yes, I do cook. We have been going to WDW 2-4 times a year for the past 27 years. We were going before there was refrigs in rooms, and the Contempory and Polynesian were the only hotels. We had a favorite waiter at the Polynesian, called us by name. We have eaten at every restaurant, buffet, character meal, you name it. We love eating at Disney. However, one of the perks of DVC, is I can fix 2-3 dinners at the room, sit out on the balcony and eat. It is usually a simple, light meal since we have eaten a huge brunch/lunch at one of WDW restaurants.

I was at WDW in March, June, and July, and will be there in a matter of days. (Gotta eat and drink my way through Epcot's Wine and Food Festival) In July we ate at Boma's, Wilderness Lodge, Bongos, Pucks, Boatwright's, Norway, O'Hana's and my all time favorite, a hot dog on Main Street Casey's. This doesn't include runs to Gourmet Pantry, chicken at Riverside, sandwiches at BYC and poolside service. We love Macaroni Grill and Pollo Tropical. But after awhile, a simple sandwich and quietness really hit the spot.....especially if the hubby makes it.......

Living in the midwest and having spend many many miles traveling to Miami to visit Cuban in-laws, I love the variety of fresh produce and goods at Publix. We enjoy trying new foods, etc. on our trips.

Aren't you glad we get to make choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter