Am I the only one annoyed by the "free upgrade" happening?

MinnieGirl33

DIS Veteran
OK, I understand WDW owns a percentage of each resort, etc. & can do what they want with it however...

This is really getting under my skin for some reason.

I accept it when I can't get a ressie & there is availablity on disney.com.

I accept that DVC isn't entitled to free dining.

I accept that there are trade offs for the fabulous accommodations.

People receiving free dining AND a 1br villa while paying for a value??? :confused:

I'd love to stay for a week in a villa with free food for under $1000 wouldn't you? Why should I own DVC if that deal is gonna float out there?? (I know why I own DVC, it's just the principle).

Not to mention all the extra people we will now have to compete with for pool chairs.... and room locations...

Anybody else not happy?

Thanks for letting me rant!

I understand what you are saying. The free upgrade doesn't bother me that much--but I am a bit fried that they get DVC AND free dining.

As you stated, I have accepted that as DVCers we do not get free dining and I understand why. And yes, I get that these folks are "cash paying" and thus entitled to free dining. Want to really get steamed? They are also going to get daily mousekeeping--they are considered cash paying....

Does not bother me. I do think some have unrealistic expectations of room requests, etc. but I simply quit reading the threads and that was the end of that.

If you had not read about the upgrades here those rooms would have still belonged to Disney reservations and they would have still filled them with paying guests.

Does it really matter what they paid. :confused3

I know how you feel but one of the reasons I bought DVC was to get out of the "lottery". Upgrades, email codes etc are great but not everyone gets them but at least owning at DVC gets me great guarenteed accommodation and I`m happy with that :goodvibes

Doesn't bother me. Those are not rooms that were taken away from members. Those are Disney rooms or unsold inventory. I'm sure DVC will pick-up additional members cause of this special promotion.

It really doesn't bother me at all. Remember, even at the discounted rate they are paying, it helps to offset the cost of member trades. Without them either our dues would have to cover that cost or trade outs to Disney resorts worldwide, cruises and Buena Vista options would not be possible.

I would imagine the people most "frosted" over the upgrades are those who didn't get them and are still staying at the values during that same time. :furious:

Here's a possible "silver lining"...............say a bunch of these upgraded folks decide to buy into DVC (which is probably the hoped-for outcome of Disney's "largesse"), a large surge of buyers could hasten the need for the next DVC!

CRV, DLV, anyone........................?:rotfl:

Sounds like a great way to promote DVC. For those who get the upgrade it is likely a one time thing. I bet Disney is going to get more members out of this.

Imagine being spoiled in a 2-bedroom Villa for a week. Then having to go back to a studio type room. I would want to join too. I wonder if they only give the upgrades to guest who have stayed at Disney before. I am always asked how many visits I have made since whatever year it is they ask.

Another incentive for me would be if Disney cancelled the DDP except for DVD members. It sure would be an incentive to me to purchase ( if I had not purchased yet).

Remember, even at the discounted rate they are paying, it helps to offset the cost of member trades. Without them either our dues would have to cover that cost or trade outs to Disney resorts worldwide, cruises and Buena Vista options would not be possible.

The logical side of my brain is in total agreement with all the "doesn't bother me bit" folks.

The other side feels that's fine for rack or AP rates but $85 for a $370 (rack) PLUS daily mousekeeping PLUS free ddp???

I guess I just feel insulted.

It really doesn't bother me at all. Remember, even at the discounted rate they are paying, it helps to offset the cost of member trades. Without them either our dues would have to cover that cost or trade outs to Disney resorts worldwide, cruises and Buena Vista options would not be possible.

Thanks for the reminder, Chuck. This does help me a bit.

Sounds like a great way to promote DVC. For those who get the upgrade it is likely a one time thing. I bet Disney is going to get more members out of this.

Imagine being spoiled in a 2-bedroom Villa for a week. Then having to go back to a studio type room. I would want to join too. I wonder if they only give the upgrades to guest who have stayed at Disney before. I am always asked how many visits I have made since whatever year it is they ask.

Another incentive for me would be if Disney cancelled the DDP except for DVD members. It sure would be an incentive to me to purchase ( if I had not purchased yet).

But as Sammie posted in another thread about this topic, this is not a DVC promotional thing...it is simply supply and over-demand.

IMO, I don't think that $85/night or $92 per night does cover it.

Even with just two adults and no kids, DDP costs $39 pp = $78.

According to the member website: Daily mousekeeping in a studio = $30 per day. Daily mousekeeping in a 1BR = $45 per day.

Points charts say it costs 12 points per night (sun - thu) to reserve a studio at that time of year and 25 points per night for a 1BR at that time of year. Our maintenance fees are a little more than $4 per point. So, $48 per night in a studio and $100 per night in a 1BR.

Assuming that Disney eats the cost of the free dining, the daily cost of the rooms are as follows:

Studio:
Free dining plan (Disney pays) $0 + Daily housekeeping $30 + Maintenance $48 = $78.
Upgraded guests pay either $85 per night or $92 per night. SSR "makes" back $7 or $14 per night.

1BR:
Free dining plan (Disney pays) $0 + Daily housekeeping $45 + Maintenance $100 = $145.
Upgraded guests pay either $85 per night or $92 per night. SSR Loses either $60 or $53 per night.

So, as an owner, I do hope (and I will give the benefit of the doubt) that Disney covers any losses incurred by our resort, in the same way that the airlines incur the loss when they have to upgrade a passenger to first class when they overbook. If that is the case, then I do hope that those who were upgraded enjoy our resort as much as we do.

It really didn't bug me- until the OP mentioned competition for room locations.

The only thing that bothers me is the possibility, albeit probably small, is that these upgrades might get a room that meets a members request while that member doesn't get it. I know room requests are not guaranteed. I don't/wouldn't mind losing a request to a fellow member but to a non-member, I would be less then happy.

Otherwise the upgrade things doesn't bother me.

-Matt

The only thing that bothers me is the possibility, albeit probably small, is that these upgrades might get a room that meets a members request while that member doesn't get it. I know room requests are not guaranteed. I don't/wouldn't mind losing a request to a fellow member but to a non-member, I would be less then happy.

Well, if room ready is in fact the procedure in place, I would expect exactly that.

Not to mention, if I can't get a chair by the pool my panties are definately going to be in a bunch.

When I am paying $300+ and an additional $38.99 x 4 people per night for the same accommodation... honestly?... yes.

But that is always the case at any hotel. No one there is paying the same rate.

Are you going then and paying rack rate instead of using your points, :confused3

Does it also bother you when members rent their points for similar amounts.

The only thing that bothers me is the possibility, albeit probably small, is that these upgrades might get a room that meets a members request while that member doesn't get it.
I think it is not a small possiblity but an absolute certainty that this will happen. That would bug me- someone paying $89 per night and getting free dining, a 1bdrm unit & daily mousekeeping is fine with me- but when they get a room that a member wants while the member gets stuck with whatever is available when they check-in- that stinks!

I actually feel bad for the people getting DVC and free dining. Let me explain.

I have a friend with whom I helped out with booking info for her Disney trip. They could only do VALUE and the free dining made things easier for her and her family. She doesn't go often , but knows I go a couple times of year and I stay in DVC. She is going to go this summer and have a fantastic time she has a 1 bedroom at Saratoga Springs and she will LOVE the villa...........HOW will she EVER go back to value and be ok with that ?!?!?! She has to ,that is what they can handle financially .

So from now on when I tell her I'm going to Disney she has an idea of what my room is like , she on the other hand will be fighting the crowds at the food court to get her snack and drink , while I head over to the kitchen.

See for a week she'll love it ,all of her other trips uuuggghhhhhhhhh !!!

I think it is not a small possiblity but an absolute certainty that this will happen. That would bug me- someone paying $89 per night and getting free dining, a 1bdrm unit & daily mousekeeping is fine with me- but when they get a room that a member wants while the member gets stuck with whatever is available when they check-in- that stinks!

Yup. Something similar to this happened when we checked in to SSR in February. We were told that because of a convention at the resort that no rooms in the Springs were available (which was on our room reservation request). They had assigned us to Paddock, but a room was available in Congress Park, so we jumped on it.

On another thread, someone mentioned that SSR is an "overflow" resort, which must be true or no upgrades to SSR, lol. So, in our case, we were told by the CM that the rooms in the Springs were unavailable due to the convention, so there does seem to be a direct correlation there.

But that is always the case at any hotel. No one there is paying the same rate.

I understand what you are saying. My opinion is, with the hotel scenario you expect that there are rates (AAA, employee, etc.) that are only available to certain groups & those groups that have the most buying power get the best rates.

I believe that we, as DVC members, should be entitled to whatever the "best rate" is at the time. I know AP rates are, from time to time, lower than the member discount. While we will chose to pay the higher member rate in order to link ressies, the AP is still an option, if we so choose.

I do wish DVC would price match when AP rates are lower but I understand that opens a whole can of worms with regard to operating expenses & how that translates to mf's.

Are you going then and paying rack rate instead of using your points, :confused3

We have 2 cash nights linked to a points res for the week the upgrades are being offered.

Does it also bother you when members rent their points for similar amounts.

Actually, yes.

I have no problem with member transfers or member to member rentals. If I am being honest I have to say I do not like outside rentals. We make a serious investment, both financially & emotionally, into our "homes" while others rent points (for a song, no less) & reap the benefits of what many of us choose to save & sacrifice for. Would you rent out a room in your house, clean it & feed the person renting it for say $25 a week?

To me, it's like a freeloading relative dropping in for the holidays. You want to be hospitable but after a while, you feel enough is enough.

I know renting is a huge feature/benefit to many members. I am just stating my opinion, since you asked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter