Always Trust Your GPS

Paper maps and road atlases are superior to GPS. I have a GPS, but like the maps better. I've been using maps on road trips for close to 40 years. I want more than just specific driving directions. I like to see where I am in relation to other locations, and like having an available reference in case of detours or other issues.

The truck driver just delivered a load of materials to a location in Atlantic City. Since he was unfamiliar with the area, wouldn't it have been smarter to ask the receivers the best way out of town rather than rely on a GPS?
Totally this. :thumbsup2 I was shocked at how unaware my DS was about his relative locations when he was learning to drive. He could plot a route in his head because he memorized the turns, exits and streets from place to place, but he really had no clue if something was all the way across town or not. We made him study a local street map until we were confident he had at least some idea how the various areas of our city were laid out and the major arteries in and out of them.

We called these "jug handles" in New Jersey -- they're all over the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughandle

I've lived in nj my whole life. That illustration isn't an accurate representation of a jug handle. That red car would go through the light and then take a jug handle to loop back on the road going in the same direction as a left at the light. The point is to avoid left hand turns on a highway

Last edited:
I've lived in nj my whole life. That illustration isn't an accurate representation of a jug handle. That red car would go through the light and then take a jug handle to loop back on the road going in the same direction as a left at the light. The point is to avoid left hand turns on a highway

Both of those are correct. Sometimes the jug handle comes after the intersection, as you describe, and sometimes before, as lovesmurfs showed. Now, maybe you don't happen to call them both "jug handles," but they absolutely do both exist all over in NJ. I can think of a dozen examples of each just in my local area.

CRST - figures

I know nothing about that trucking company, but I used to hear disparaging comments years ago such as "that is something a J.B. Hunt driver would do."

Both of those are correct. Sometimes the jug handle comes after the intersection, as you describe, and sometimes before, as lovesmurfs showed. Now, maybe you don't happen to call them both "jug handles," but they absolutely do both exist all over in NJ. I can think of a dozen examples of each just in my local area.

I think the term jug handle was first used to describe this type of intersection. It got its name from the shape formed by the roadway for traffic travelling on Route 1 Southbound wanting to make a left turn onto Fisher Place.

main-qimg-c35c4ecc89045d4bb6d9b8b90c03cbda-c

And then the name just stuck to describe any type of "turn right to turn left" configuration. In NJ, there are still plenty of the type such as in the illustration on the previous page.

Paper maps and road atlases are superior to GPS. I have a GPS, but like the maps better. I've been using maps on road trips for close to 40 years. I want more than just specific driving directions. I like to see where I am in relation to other locations, and like having an available reference in case of detours or other issues.

The truck driver just delivered a load of materials to a location in Atlantic City. Since he was unfamiliar with the area, wouldn't it have been smarter to ask the receivers the best way out of town rather than rely on a GPS?
Our GPS can be zoomed in or out as far as you want to get that perspective of where you are in relation to other places.
It usese real time traffic data and has been able to alter our routes to keep us out of major traffic jams dozens of times, and if for some reason it misses somethignng we can either zoom out a bit and easily follow our own guidance using the other shown streets, or program in that we need to avoid xyz road for at least abc kilometers and it will create an alternate route. The new systems are pretty dynamic.

Last edited:
I know nothing about that trucking company, but I used to hear disparaging comments years ago such as "that is something a J.B. Hunt driver would do."

I think the term jug handle was first used to describe this type of intersection. It got its name from the shape formed by the roadway for traffic travelling on Route 1 Southbound wanting to make a left turn onto Fisher Place.

main-qimg-c35c4ecc89045d4bb6d9b8b90c03cbda-c

And then the name just stuck to describe any type of "turn right to turn left" configuration. In NJ, there are still plenty of the type such as in the illustration on the previous page.

Yup, JB Hunt & Swift Trans are the "people of Walmart" of the trucking industry.

[QUOTE="RedAngie, post: 58233813, member: 562453"I think the term jug handle was first used to describe this type of intersection. It got its name from the shape formed by the roadway for traffic travelling on Route 1 Southbound wanting to make a left turn onto Fisher Place.

And then the name just stuck to describe any type of "turn right to turn left" configuration. In NJ, there are still plenty of the type such as in the illustration on the previous page.[/QUOTE]

Yup. That's what I meant when I mentioned that I could think of dozens of examples of both.

I rented a car that had GPS. Also had my own. I wanted to take US 12 for a change so got off the interstate. Mile down the road one told me to make a right turn to back, the other to make a left turn to go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter