(Almost) cost neutral swap? Interest thread - new question post 34

MazdaUK

<font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><
I couple of years ago (when I first started swapping) we did a "scrap someone else's photos" swap. Pick a few photos and get allocated someone to send them to (either direct swap or more like Secret Sister where the person you send to doesn't necessarily send to you), get back a couple of layouts in the size you specified to stick in your album. It was quite fun to do someone else'sphotos, and maybe do subjects you don't normally do -e.g. girly pages instead of boys, pets, etc.

Would anyone be interested in one of these? Its quite cheap - because you're only using materials you'd use anyway, and you'd get back as much as you send out, IYSwIM, so its just the (small) cost of sending photos and the slightly larger cost of sending back the pages. Best not send irreplaceable vintage pics though, just in case;) You could also incorporate a challenge element - send the person scrapping your photos something to incorporate into the page, either an embellishment you particularly love or something you're not sure how to use.

What do you think?

Sounds interesting but as always depends on dates for me.
I like the SS part of it to, maybe 2 seperate groups.

I have always enjoyed these swaps and seen them done a few different ways.

As Jennifer said- you can always upload digital photos and have them printed locally so you don't even have to mail them.

Rebecca

Uploading locally is fine, but you couldn't add the "challenge" ingredient without requireing someone to buy it (but that wouldn't be a big problem). I was just thinking I'm going back to Belgium and after so many years doing similar things it would be nice for someone to have a different angle.:thumbsup2 Would around March work? (Mail by Easter?)

I got some awesome layouts from Mickster and rlovew by doing the give them photos and let them have it. Lots of things I never would have thought of.

I'm game.

Those dates work for me, the cjs should be almost done and would you run this at the same time as the the flower exchange?

I have done lots of this type of swap on another discussion board I'm active with. It's fun! In the past, have sent pictures that I found myself having a creative block with and then got back an amazing layout completed with my journaling on it and it's such a relief! Its neat to see what someone else will do with your photos.

I think it's crucial to type out your journaling and give it to the person doing your layout though. Then it can be included on the layout. Everyone's style is different but if someone doesn't leave you enough room to write about the photos on your completed layout it's a huge bummer.

Having critical info. about the people in the picture, why it was your favorite character meal etc... can all drive the theme of the layout and the title too. It's actually a little hard for me to scrap for someone else but I find when I have lots of info. about the pictures it is much easier to scrapbook them. I know I've personally been sent someone else's Oregon coast crabbing trip photos in the past and I had a tough time with them because I've never been crabbing and had very little info. sent along with the pictures. That layout took me forever! So I'd suggest that we fill out a form of some kind that requires basic info. for the photos that you send and fun details along with any suggestions that the person would really like to see on their page. Perhaps they want a certain title...that could be stated.

We could do groups with a theme maybe if there are enough people who want to sign up?? Disney pages, boyish pages, girly pages, school pages, pet pages for example. I guess then if you don't want to get a set of pet photos for a layout and you have no supplies on hand for pet pages you'd be okay.

Anyhow, just some suggestions since I've learned a trick or two from doing these. I'm game to play along. I'd prefer to have the due date be in the spring personally. Sounds fun ladies!

I can add this to the calendar in March- I would suggest a due date of mid April (checking on when people will be mailing items/uploading them.

I would suggest that their be a rule that all those who participate in the swap have already completed a couple of swaps on time- as their partner could be out if they don't ever mail.

Rebecca

Thanks for adding that Rebecca. When Kat was playing she told me about this type of swap and that did happen to her.

Another good reason for downloading locally - you've not lost massively then if someone flakes.

I would suggest:

Sign-ups beg. March for mid-April return
Must have completed at least one swap on time
minimum page standards as per complete page swaps
double page swap only(? do you think?)
A few questions (like secret sister but not so many) to give a chance to try something different (like pets if you have none)

None of the swaps will go anywhere other than their recipient, so its no bother to do it same time as the flower swap.

Anything I've missed?

You could do double or single pages or have groups for each and yes I would say minimum requirements as seen in the completed page swaps.

Rebecca

And include your journalling in a block/quote in the e-mail, but let the creator play around with font etc?

How does this look for instructions?

Mystery Scrapper swap

This swap is open to experienced swappers only - you must have completed TWO swaps on these boards to participate. This is because you are dealing with other people's photos so we need to be a bit more careful. You may sign up for more than one group, but you will be doing pages for different people so will have to pay postage for each set of pages you complete so please bear that in mind!

Please pm me your name, DIS name, mailing address, email address and phone number when you sign up (I will only use phone numbers in an emergency).

Sending
You will be given the e-mail contact for the person completeing your pages. You should e-mail them the photos in a suitable format such as .jpg, but if you have limited size on your e-mail you can create a folder on a host site such as Snapfish. Include in your e-mail the following:
WHO is in the photos
WHERE the photos were taken
WHEN they were taken (date/occasion)
Any key facts (first time at Disney, trip to old home town)
Block of journalling

If you prefer you may send physical photos, or send a special element or piece of memorabilia to include on the page. This does increase the cost slightly but still shouldn't be too expensive

Receiving
There will be separate groups for one and two page layouts - if you have more than 3 standard (6x4) photos you should sign for a 2-page layout.

Required for ONE 12x12 page

Title: topper, letter, borders, block or tag, letters on squares or other shapes
AND
Option 1: 2 places for 4x6 photos, 1 element or several small embellies, and a place for journaling visible or hidden
Option 2: 1 place for 4x6 photo and 2 or 3????? places for smaller photos, 1 element or several small embellies, and the journalling supplied

Required for TWO 12x12 pages

Title: topper, letters, borders, block or tag, letters on squares or other shapes
AND
Option 1: 4 places for 4x6 photos, 2 elements or several small embellies, and the journalling supplied
Option 2: 2 places for 4x6 photos and 4 or 6 places for smaller photos, 2 elements or several small embellies, and the journalling supplied

Please sign your Dis Name and real name on the bottom left hand corner of your page. There should be NO other hand lettering on the page.

Groups

Family - general

Boy stuff and sports

Girl stuff and sports

Holidays e.g. Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving

Vacations - Disney

Vacations - non-Disney - home and international

++++

Does that look OK to everyone? Any suggestions?

Should there be something in there about mailing something to the swapper doing your pages if you have something extra you want to send to go on your page?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter