All Star or HIFS.. I need help!

GinRob

Earning My Ears
Im new here and hopefully Im posting on the right board..

We found out about the Military deal and decided yesterday to head to WDW instead of the summer trip we had planned..

this is our first time going to WDW or FL for that matter..

I have made reservations at HIFS and also at Holiday Inn Sunspree... I was going to go with the sunspree one because the price was right, but then I read a lot of bad comments about it so I made reservations at HIFS too.. so I can choose which one and cancel the other one..

but I would LOVE to stay on site.. so I started looking into the All Star rooms..

my problem is I have 6 kids.. 2 of them being under 3 yrs old.. and the others are 12, 11 and 9 and 5.. plus me and dh..

so I can get a kidsuite room at HIFS for $115 (plus tax) a night or I can get 2 rooms at All Star for $133.06 a night (tax already included)

the sunspree price was $79 a night which was ideal, but Ive pretty much decided to cancel that one all together.

We will be there in July for 6 nights. I called shades of green to see about getting into the contemporary but its all booked up already.. so they told me I should do all star.

Im on a very tight budget and every dollar is being pinched..

I just dont know if I should go with the 2 rooms at All Star which are smaller from what I read..

or the HIFS with free breakfast and free kid meals..

I have made a pro/con list of both options but having never been there, I dont know what to do!

All Star would be nice so we dont have to worry about shuttle times and leaving the park mid day to go nap, etc.. (which we will prob do).. and my kids would love the themes..

HIFS would be nice for the free food (though I dont know that we will be there during meal times other than brkfst) , 2 seperate bedrooms, etc..

oh and we will be driving there from New Mexico.

My dh is leaning towards the HIFS... but has left this all up to me..

can someone help me??? :confused:

thanks in advance!!

Ginger

Tough call - HIFS is nice, but you won't be using a lot of the perks if you're busy going to the parks. The prices you mentioned - are they with the FairyTale package? If not, you should look into quotes on that.
All Stars would give you 2 bathrooms in addition to 2 bedrooms. Plus, you or DH could stay longer at a park while other went back with little ones for naps. Naturally being onsite is always a little nicer. And with so many kids, that just makes it easier. Also, if you're going back to room for naps either way, LOTS less travel time if you are on site - that adds up!
I guess I would vote AS - Mickey wake-up calls have to count for something too!;)

BTW - WELCOME!!!!!

WELCOME! Yes, you did come to the right place and let me be the first of many, many I'm sure to say ALL STARS or somewhere onsite. With all the children your party will surely need to split up at some point for a nap or ANYTHING. It's so simple to jump on the All Stars bus and meet up later at a pre set location or maybe you just want to send one child and one adult back early and go to bed while the others do e-night or something. You'll find Disney Resort busses to be a breeze! I've never stayed offsite but don't you have to go out into a parking lot and look for them only at certain times?????? I'd be so confused.

Sharoncity sorry about saying I'd be the first one to vote All Stars, you were hitting submit while I typed I guess. I think they can't use Fairy Tale because they're using the GREAT Military ticket option.

I agree...All Stars for sure. You can always take a cooler and do breakfast and snacks in the room. That will save some money. The convenience just can't be beat for a large family. Great bus system in case you do split up. And, the counter service in the parks serve fairly large portions. So, you could split some meals.
Location and convenience mean a great deal to me. Have fun...

This one isnt really about the hotels.. but I was reading more of the boards online and someone said something about a ticket to get into the park .. I wish I could remember what they said but it sounded like if you left the park, it counted as 1 full day on your ticket.. (they were recommending people buy some kind of pass)

anyways, the military ticket thing says ... Each day this Ticket is used at any of the Parks or Places listed above constitutes one full day of use... .. and it also says

This Ticket is valid for admission by the active member of the military to the following Walt Disney World® Parks and Places for five days (on or before December 19, 2003), with the freedom to visit multiple Parks and Places on the same day.. then it lists the other places you can go with that ticket..

so I know this is going to sound dumb, but is there some sort of meaning behind the 1st statement that Im not getting?

we *can* leave the park and come back the same day right?? or would that count as 2 days??? do they maybe stamp your hand or something so you can go back to your hotel for lunch and swimming and then get back in?

thank you all so much for all the help!!

Ginger

I've stayed at HIFS and it's a great hotel! But with that many kids, I would think you'd want 2 bathrooms. The "kids eat free" at HIFS is great and does save you money, especially if you head back in the afternoon to rest and get lunch there. It's not a tough trip at all, we did it everyday, it's less than a mile from the parks. BUT we had a rental car. I don't know if HIFS's transportation is efficient or not. Tough call, good luck!

Given a choice, I would always stay on-site. You'll find it much more convenient and you'll never have to leave the "magic".

I'm pretty sure your tickets are "hoppers" and you can come and go as you please to different parks or back and forth to the same park with just your ticket and a hand stamp. Some people get the UMP tickets that are good from check in to midnight of check out day and then they may check in at 3:00 p.m. and go to Magic Kingdom or something where if you have hoppers you wouldn't want to begin a days use at 3:00 p.m.!!! See what I mean. The UMP's are most often used with the packages and are very nice but your ticket is extremely nice too!!! You'd just want to begin using it at the beginning of the day, all day and through the night. Hope this helps.

Definitely go with the All Stars. Your kids will love the theming there. Plus you'll be glad you have the convenience of being able to go back to rest with a couple of the kids in the middle of the day while the others stay at the parks. My kids don't eat big breakfasts, so having the free breakfast wouldn't be worth it to me if it meant staying off site. We usually bring cereal, milk, juice, donuts, etc., for the room and have a cooler. You can economize other ways too. As another poster suggested Disney's portions are large and you can order salads and split a meal. You can bring your own water to the parks instead of buying their bottled water. With going in July, you will need to drink a lot of fluids. We usually eat one table service per day and it's usually at lunch. At some restaurants, the prices are less than at dinner. Then we do fast food for dinner. I know others bring snacks into the parks for the kids when they get hungry. We don't do this, but my kids are bigger now.

My DH is very tight with money and he will never stay offsite again. He says it is worth every penny to stay onsite (of course we usually get discounts). He loves the idea of taking Disney's transportation and not having to fight the traffic on 192.

Another reason....you have the magic 24/7. That is worth it all by itself in my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

STAY ON SITE!

Renting a car for 8 costs a lot more than the $18 difference, and the off property shuttles, well, let's just say they didn't work out well for me. Not much flexibility at all. a few runs TO the parks in the morning and a few runs FROM the parks in the evening will not accomodate naps etc for the younger DSs and DDs.

40% off of rack rate is terribly hard to pass up. 1 free 5-day pass and 5 5-day passes for $99 is also amazing.

The verbage is actually simple. If you go any to ANY park for even ONE MINUTE, it will use one day off of your passes. Once you use a day you can then hop to any other park on the list (very similar to UPH).

Have Fun... And stay at the All STar Movies! I promise you this, you WILL regret it afterwards when you can't do anything about it.

Hi I have stayed at both places and while we really liked HIFS , I won't stay off site again given the choice .. It is only myself DD 9 and DS 6 .. I thought there was enough room for the 3 of us.. I think that you and DH and littlest ones can be in one room with the door open to the older children.. we had no issues sharing beds ( they are doubles ) and when we didn't one just threw a blanet on the floor w/ a pillow and we still had room - People have said too to make more room move the beds together and leave a note for housekeeping to not move them back and they won't touch them.. I love the 24-7 magic !! Let us know which you decide.. Ps the bus system on site is better then driving or using the HIFS shuttle for afternoon naps.. and we love the AS food courts.. ( you can see the menus at www.wdwig.com ) have fun planning .. Michelle

I vote to stay on site. My friend stayed at HIFS also because of the price and free food. She said the food was AWFUL!!! She actually didn't use the free food after the first night since it was just so bad, IHO. You'll have much more fun on-site, and it will be MUCH easier to get back to the hotel for naps, etc. If your not going to have a car (by driving or renting) DON'T stay off-site. Usually the shuttles only run every hour or half hour and sometimes only from the TTC, not each individual park. It will be a nightmare trying to get back/forth if you need afternoon nap time. Also, with the ages of your children, it will definately help having the second bathroom.

The All Stars food courts have a microwave that anyone can use. It helped us so much our last visit. My DD3 was on a mac and cheese kick and I brought that easymac and made it for her in the food court. It was about all she ate that week. :eek: But she was happy and it was cheep! The All Stars are really fun, your kids will like the themeing. DH and I love the Swan, but my kids would always choose the All Stars.:) It is kid heaven there!

My vote is for HIFS, for this very reason:

~~~Im on a very tight budget and every dollar is being pinched.. ~~~

Since you are driving, you will already have a car and don't have to worry about the shuttles. HIFS is practically on-site and is just minutes away from the parks.

You didn't say when you were going, however HIFS does have lower rates than $115 a night. Have you tried to get the "entertainment card" rate? We are going this month and have a rate of $86 a night. Some have gotten a rate as low as $75 a night. You can definitely do better than $115!

I know someone else commented about the food. I just want to say that we found the breakfast to be perfectly fine. (except for the bacon!). There is plenty to choose from at breakfast. Cereals, donuts, bagels, fruit, plus hot food selections.

Free breakfast for 8 people will save a ton of money. Plus the "kids eat free" option will save you a bunch more.

HIFS also has free activities for the kids such as face painting, balloon making, evening kids show, and you get a family photo at no charge.

The room has a decent sized frig in it (something you'd have to pay extra for at the All Stars), plus there is a microwave and small sink with a cabinet. Also, the zero entry pool makes it nice for families with children of multiple ages.

Good luck making your decision.

Teresa

Another vote for HIFS here!

While I haven't stayed there myself yet, I have stayed at All Star (Music) and found the rooms to be very cramped. The free breakfast buffet and separate rooms at HIFS (my kids can't wait to use the bunkbeds) are big bonus points for us.

Also, as taylor1293 mentioned, definitely check to see if the Entertainment Rate is available for your dates. We're going in November at a rate of $86.00 for a Kingsuite.

Whatever you decide, have a fun trip!

well, I made reservations at All Stars.. but they didnt have any more openings at Movies.. I should have just made the res. yesterday when I called to get the price. sigh.

so I made it at Sports.. I hope its nice.. I know one son will love it, but at least 3 other sons would have loved the movie theme more.. (I have 5 sons and one daughter-shes only 6 months though so she doesnt care lol)

Anyways, Im cancelling my res for sunspree now.. but I still have my HIFS res.. I just cant seem to let go.. my mind keeps going back to the money issue..

I got the AS sports for $133.06 a night for 2 rooms with the tax included already.. which in my mind is good.. heck I can pay $100 at a hotel off the highway somewhere and that would be considered the cheapest rate.. (not at disney , just on vacation or whatever).. but when i know I could be at HIFS for $115 a night.. that extra $18 a day adds up.. (am I even adding right? I am so mixed up with all my plans changing daily )

ok so now that I said $18 a day, it doesnt sound soooo awful.. if I take into consideration that we wont have to pay to park.. maybe it would all even out in the end.. cept for the free food at HIFS.. but as many pointed out, I dont even know if we would want to go back to eat lunch with driving and all the hassles that could be..

oh! just thought of something else.. the $115 was before tax.. so that makes it about even too.. i think..

sooo ok, in posting, Ive talked myself into just being happy with AS LOL..

now, someone convince me that sports is ok too.. :rolleyes:

thank you all soooo much for your help!!!!

oh, they did say I could keep calling and see if anyone cancels from Movies and then transfer to that one... so we will see!

Ginger.. now looking for other ways to cut costs.

Good for you... there is NOTHING like staying onsite. Hope you have a wonderful time!!!

Congrads on your on-site ressie.. best of luck getting movies but I don't think you will be disappointed at Sports.. keep trying .. Michelle

I had this SAME question! I had ressies for HIFS(we're a family of five), and when the military deal came out, I cancelled HIFS and reserved two rooms at ASMu. I'm excited about staying onsite! Also, it's my understanding that the tickets are the same as unlimited park hoppers. We'll be there for seven days in Oct. I can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter