All about the Autotrain

We've been taking the AT every year or two since 2005 and have been waiting for wi-fi for a while. We're heading south on 28 Nov and north on 11 Dec. We have used the wi-fi on the northeast corridor and while not super fast, it works fine for what we need. We've found it's hard to watch movies on the train anyway even in a room with ear buds, so we don't bother bringing them anymore and not being able to stream is a minor thing. I'm sure some will complain, but the cost of bandwidth is probably the issue.

We've been taking the AT every year or two since 2005 and have been waiting for wi-fi for a while. We're heading south on 28 Nov and north on 11 Dec. We have used the wi-fi on the northeast corridor and while not super fast, it works fine for what we need. We've found it's hard to watch movies on the train anyway even in a room with ear buds, so we don't bother bringing them anymore and not being able to stream is a minor thing. I'm sure some will complain, but the cost of bandwidth is probably the issue.

We've also been waiting for years. My kids are fine with the idea of downloading their media at home to watch later. Knowing they can Skype chat or Facebook/DeviantArt/Tumblr on the train makes teenagers much happier about their trip. On the upside, for anyone who doesn't yet know, if you have Amazon Prime, you can now download any Prime movies/TV shows to watch offline. The kids have each filled up their iPads/phones so they don't have to worry about it later. We'll fill them up for the return trip before we leave Orlando.

Now, if only Autotrain would offer something safe for my gluten-free kid to eat, we'd be back to loving our train trips. It's tough to find travel food options for her that stay safe without refrigeration and actually have some nutritional value.

What is an appropriate tip for the cabin attendant? waiters?

Cabin attendant I do $5-$10 for the two of us depending how much they do for us. Dinner I do 20% of what I think it would cost at a restaurant ($5-$7 for the 2 of us). Breakfast I usually do $3-$5 for the 2 of us.

What is an appropriate tip for the cabin attendant? waiters?

Cabin attendant I do $5-$10 for the two of us depending how much they do for us. Dinner I do 20% of what I think it would cost at a restaurant ($5-$7 for the 2 of us). Breakfast I usually do $3-$5 for the 2 of us.

Anyone been on the AT lately? We're onboard next Saturday (11/28) for our 7th round trip.

We're at the Lorton train station. Pretty busy. Car line was backed up about halfway to Lorton rd at 11:45. We were through and checked in by 12:15.

There's a "service" dog here. I say it inquotes because he'snot acting like a service dog. Not barking or anything but also not as laid back as most are. We'll see how that goes and where they are on the train. I guess they'll take him off the train in Sanford for a potty break.

Just got back to Lorton this morning from our trip. We were a little late arriving in Sanford on 11/29 (maybe an hour late) but we got in this morning at 8 am. We had our car by 9 am. Only 138 cars on the northbound trip. On the southbound two weeks ago, we had 260 or so cars. Since we live pretty close, we were home by 10.

We are taking the Auto train for the first time this week. Is there a good place to have lunch nearby before checking in? TIA

We are taking the Auto train for the first time this week. Is there a good place to have lunch nearby before checking in? TIA

For Lorton, see my post 3402 on page 171 of this thread. The most convenient is a Glory Days (sports themed chain restaurant) in a strip shopping center almost across the street from the entrance to the AT station. It's family-friendly and has a children's menu. In that same shopping center there's also a sushi place that I haven't tried, but my son says is ok. There is also an IHOP nearby plus a Burger King, a small Chinese restaurant and a couple of Italian restaurants, but they're in different shopping centers that are almost as close.

We usually just buy sandwiches in the station. They have a decent variety, but they're not cheap. We just find it easier since we eat breakfast at home before heading to Lorton. On the return, we usually eat at our resort, or on the ship if we're returning from a cruise and then buy something at the Sanford station.

For Lorton, see my post 3402 on page 171 of this thread. The most convenient is a Glory Days (sports themed chain restaurant) in a strip shopping center almost across the street from the entrance to the AT station. It's family-friendly and has a children's menu. In that same shopping center there's also a sushi place that I haven't tried, but my son says is ok. There is also an IHOP nearby plus a Burger King, a small Chinese restaurant and a couple of Italian restaurants, but they're in different shopping centers that are almost as close.
Thank you, Glory Days sounds perfect for us!

We are boarding the AT January 30th! I've traveled the US by train, but it's been awhile. Our last trip was before kids (9 years ago) Washington, DC -> Glacier National Park.

Joseph

taking auto train for 1st time -- my husband and father in law took in october - not a great experience. they got a roomette husband couldn't stand the top bunk - no room so they sat the entire night - whcih they could have done in coach then train was cancelled for days when they had to come home cause of floods and had to drive home and hit a dear and destroyed our new car :(

going in November - nervous now but excited. and got a bedroom this time - me husband and son - he will be 20 months then
tips? suggestions?

taking auto train for 1st time -- my husband and father in law took in october - not a great experience. they got a roomette husband couldn't stand the top bunk - no room so they sat the entire night - whcih they could have done in coach then train was cancelled for days when they had to come home cause of floods and had to drive home and hit a dear and destroyed our new car :(

going in November - nervous now but excited. and got a bedroom this time - me husband and son - he will be 20 months then
tips? suggestions?

You will enjoy the bedroom so much more than they did the roomette. We've had a bedroom one time and we loved it. It's nice to have your own bathroom and room to move around. We have been using points the last few trips (points one way last time due to blackout dates for Thanksgiving) so we usually have enough for a roomette each way. We slept much better in the bedroom than in the roomette and in the roomette better than coach, so each has it's advantages. Our last trip was our 7th round trip on the AT and we will use it many more times. And, we've done coach, roomette and bedroom over the years. Probably never do coach again though.

We are using the family sleeper (using points) for our upcoming trip (us and 2 kids). I remember doing that on a trip out west when I was a kid.

Its been quiet here for a while! Autotrain has been going through some tough times keeping on schedule. Problem started on or around last Thursday with mechanical issues on the southbound 53. If you are booked for the next couple of days pay attention to the schedule.

tips? suggestions?

I liked the bedroom, it was the swaying, slamming on breaks and constant feelings of derailment we didn't like. But if it was a smoother ride we'd do it again and get 2 connecting rooms. Dh and my son had a roomette and my son slept on top with out issues. And I had the bedroom with the 2 girls and I slept on the bottoms with my youngest. She didn't wake at all. But it was roomy even when all 5 of us were in there.

We are using the family sleeper (using points) for our upcoming trip (us and 2 kids). I remember doing that on a trip out west when I was a kid.

The family bedroom? We did that on our return because our youngest was still small enough. So 5 of us in that room was tight.

I liked the bedroom, it was the swaying, slamming on breaks and constant feelings of derailment we didn't like. But if it was a smoother ride we'd do it again and get 2 connecting rooms. Dh and my son had a roomette and my son slept on top with out issues. And I had the bedroom with the 2 girls and I slept on the bottoms with my youngest. She didn't wake at all. But it was roomy even when all 5 of us were in there.

The family bedroom? We did that on our return because our youngest was still small enough. So 5 of us in that room was tight.

Yes, we had a family room for the 4 of us. It was enough room for us. Overall, we were happy with it, other than the delay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter