AKV Jambo House villas

Deb & Bill

DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
We did a four night trip to WDW in March for our Anniversary. We had two nights in an AKV Value one bedroom and two nights in a SSR standard one bedroom. SSR was nice. But I will never stay at JH in a one bedroom or larger without a standalone shower. Trying to take a shower in that tank of a tub is awful for an older person. The decorative wall around the tub's outer edge looked pretty, but it was too high and too wide for me to step over without help. We had wanted to try out a JH one bedroom and the opportunity came up. But that is the last time. Plus we have probably sold two of our three contracts, just waiting for the contracts to sign (both have passed ROFR).

Roll in shower is one of the accessibility options. You click on accessible when you search. Shouldn't be a problem for 1BRs. We had a lovely one at Boulder Ridge and at Kidani.

Do they have the roll-in shower accessibility option at Jambo? My understanding was that they were only at Kidani. Or is that only studios that have no HA option at Jambo?

Pretty sure they all have roll-in as a category. Maybe the older resorts might not. AKL definitely does.

The accessible Jambo 1BRs have a roll-in shower and no tub. All the other 1BRs (and thus also 2BRs since all Jambo 2BRs are a combined studio and 1BR) have that combined tub and shower with the high and wide wall that someone needs to step over to get into it. Anyone with with any leg or hip issues can have a hard time getting into or out of them (and that includes many older people that usually do not need an accessible room).

The regular Kidani 1BRs are far superior to the regular Jambo 1BRs. They have a larger master bathroom with separate tub and shower, have a second bathroom with a traditional combined tub and shower that is easy to get into and the room is close to 100 sg ft larger than Jambo's, with a larger living room and kitchen area, and more and better closet space

Hmm, I’d completely forgotten about the tub, and DF’s been having issues with his hip for the last few weeks.Trip is 2 weeks away. We have a 2 bedroom booked for the first part, but then move to a 1 bedroom for the second part. Anyone have any idea what we can do to make it easy on DF?

If memory serves me correctly, I don't believe they have any accessible value units... has to be standard or savannah. OP indicated they were in a value.

As a short person with bilateral knee replacements, the tubs at Jambo are more than a challenge. If I happen to score a value or no accessible standards are available, I'll deal with it... sitting on the edge of the tub then lifting each leg over the edge. Ain't pretty but gets the job done. I often travel solo so the solutions consist of me, myself and I! LOL

We did a four night trip to WDW in March for our Anniversary. We had two nights in an AKV Value one bedroom and two nights in a SSR standard one bedroom. SSR was nice. But I will never stay at JH in a one bedroom or larger without a standalone shower. Trying to take a shower in that tank of a tub is awful for an older person. The decorative wall around the tub's outer edge looked pretty, but it was too high and too wide for me to step over without help. We had wanted to try out a JH one bedroom and the opportunity came up. But that is the last time. Plus we have probably sold two of our three contracts, just waiting for the contracts to sign (both have passed ROFR).
As much as I like Jambo, the bathrooms have kept me from booking there, except in the HA room with the roll in shower. In that tub, there’s nothing to hold on to, once you do stand. I was so disappointed!

Congratulations on having sold two contracts, if it was what you wanted to do. Why the “probably?”

Yes, HA roll in showers are available as I have stayed in both studio and 1 BR at Jambo. Jumping in a tall king bed is also an issue for me and the accessible rooms have lower beds.

If we can't get a roll in shower, I bring a suction cup grab bar. Since I had knee issues and finally a TKR I realized ALL bathtubs and showers should have at least one grab bar! We are finally getting an Owners Locker and my suction cup grab bar will have a permanent home there.

Hmm, I’d completely forgotten about the tub, and DF’s been having issues with his hip for the last few weeks.Trip is 2 weeks away. We have a 2 bedroom booked for the first part, but then move to a 1 bedroom for the second part. Anyone have any idea what we can do to make it easy on DF?

I would give MS a call, or chat, and see if there is a way to change the room you have to an accessible one? I had one booked RIV in January but we didn't end up needing it and so when they were merging, I told them I no longer needing one, and she was able to swap things out for me. This was about 6 weeks out though, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Yes, HA roll in showers are available as I have stayed in both studio and 1 BR at Jambo. Jumping in a tall king bed is also an issue for me and the accessible rooms have lower beds.

If we can't get a roll in shower, I bring a suction cup grab bar. Since I had knee issues and finally a TKR I realized ALL bathtubs and showers should have at least one grab bar! We are finally getting an Owners Locker and my suction cup grab bar will have a permanent home there.
I have found that a suction cup grab bar does not work where there’s not a good seal. So, certain tiles ruin the use of the grab bar.

So there are HA studios at Jambo house? I was told by someone that if I needed a HA studio, I would have to go to Kidani. Since I much prefer Jambo, I was disappointed to hear that. So glad if there are.

I have found that a suction cup grab bar does not work where there’s not a good seal. So, certain tiles ruin the use of the grab bar.
Good point, however I place the suction parts on the actual tiles to make it work.

Ask for the roll in shower if available in chat. If no one booked it, they just assign them to people. This is the kind of room request they care a lot more about than high floor or whatever. We got assigned an accessible room by asking, when we weren't able to actually book one before. This was great, as otherwise we would have had some issues.

You could also put in a waitlist to swap it to the accessible identical room. Sometimes, these pop up if anything in the category opens up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter