"Airline" Experiences

atigeg

DIS Veteran
This is inkkognito on her husband's PC:

Anyone ever have any interesting experiences ala the tv show "Airline?" You know, like the passenger with roaches in his luggage, belligerent drunks, etc.? We've been flying SW for a while now, and I was disappointed as we never encountered anything like the scenarios on t.v., not even when we had a long comedy of delays and gate changes one day...no one got crazy or started swearing like they do when there's a camera in their face. There was always something going on at ATA, but SW was relatively tame. Then, yesterday, I finally saw a good one!

I was flying MCO to MDW and sitting in the bulkhead, with a good view of the door. The last person to board was a tall man in an absolutely filthy t-shirt and jeans. I mean FILTHY! It looked like he had rolled in a dirt pit, with stains everywhere. Why on earth would you dress like that when going on a flight? The flight attendant pulled him aside and spoke to him. It was done discretely, but I could see it because of my position in the bulkhead. I couldn't catch much of what was said, but they gave him a clean t-shirt and a little kit with personal hygiene items and sent him into the front lavatory. When we came out, they had him step aside and spoke to him again, then let him go to a seat (not near me, thank goodness!). I don't know if he was last to board because the agents outside had spoken to him, but he wasn't argumentative when they had him clean up on the plane.

Anyone else have an "Airline" moment?

Never had an Airline moment in all my flights. Have seen a lot of complainers at the ticket and gate counters.

Oh I have had some doozy's.

Let's see... I once saw a man yell, scream, curse and otherwise make a fool of himself because the Atlanta airport was closed for weather. A security guard was called and he threatened him.... I am not sure what anyone was suppose to do, there were lightening strikes all around the airport. I guess "Bubba" thought one of these folks had a direct line to God. (He left with two security guards holding firmly to his arms with wife trailing behind screaming NO!)

The drunk in Charleston who kept bouncing into things including the line of Marine Corp recuirts. The folks at the counter stalled him until the plane left. Then he got beligerent claiming he wasn't drunk. Police took him away. And he was dressed in a VERY expensive looking suit.

The woman in Nashville who tried to pass her four year old off as under two. Busted when the gate agent leaned down and asked the little boy how old he was! There was another woman in Nashville who tried to bring two kids on as infants. It's one lap per child and she had no other laps so she started asking strangers to hold her kids on a three hour flight???

Oh I forgot my favorite!

Years ago I was on an American flight where the plane had come to Dallas from someplace in Mexico. Some woman has somehow managed to wedge a piece of pottery into the overhead, but it would NOT come out. There was just not enough wiggle room. We were allowed to board while maintenance worked on as she would not leave the plane without it claiming it was antique and very expensive. She was insistent that they disassmeble the overhead bin..... Finally she was drug off the plane by security (and I do mean drug she kept grabbing the seats and screaming!) As soon as she was gone, maintenance busted the pottery!

CarolA said:
Oh I forgot my favorite!

Years ago I was on an American flight where the plane had come to Dallas from someplace in Mexico. Some woman has somehow managed to wedge a piece of pottery into the overhead, but it would NOT come out. There was just not enough wiggle room. We were allowed to board while maintenance worked on as she would not leave the plane without it claiming it was antique and very expensive. She was insistent that they disassmeble the overhead bin..... Finally she was drug off the plane by security (and I do mean drug she kept grabbing the seats and screaming!) As soon as she was gone, maintenance busted the pottery!

Excellent that would be my favorite :rotfl:

A friend of mine was on a flight with a man who had a bunch of frozen pork chops in his bag along with his drinks! (I would swear she said it was beer, but maybe not. Don't know if airlines allow BYOB.) He said he likes to travel with his frozen meat because it keeps his drinks cold and it is thawed out by dinner time!

I sat next to 'pus man'

I saw him in the lounge before boarding -he was covered in hives and had a bottle of clear fluid and bag of cotton balls - he was wiping all these festering sores with his soaked cotton balls....

I thought to myself "Geezzzz I feel sorry for the person who has to sit next to him'

:sad2: Little did I know :sad2:

When I see someone "yucky" in the terminal, I make sure to have things spread all over my seat area until they are past me and have selected a seat elsewhere. So far, the only time I've had to do that is one flight where I was sitting on the floor by an outlet, using my laptop, while my husband held our spot in the A line. A man came and stood next to me, and the smell of cigarettes was enough to choke a horse! I had to get up and leave because it tripped my sinuses. My brother is a chainsmoker and has never smelled even close to as bad as that guy. I think he had somehow saturated his clothing so that he could satisfy his nicotine urges in flight simply by sniffing his shirt. :rolleyes: I would have literally spent the flight with a runny nose and swollen eyes if he'd sat next to me, so I put my carryon bag on the empty seat and rummaged around in it until the "tobacco cloud" passed.
Barb

Chip 'n Dale Express said:
I have TONS of situations that happen at Disney... but unfortunetly, I cannot share :(

Does that mean your book (containing all these incidents) is about to be published? :rotfl:

Cass said:
I sat next to 'pus man'

I saw him in the lounge before boarding -he was covered in hives and had a bottle of clear fluid and bag of cotton balls - he was wiping all these festering sores with his soaked cotton balls....

I thought to myself "Geezzzz I feel sorry for the person who has to sit next to him'

:sad2: Little did I know :sad2:

OK, 1 word!! EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! :crazy2:

The only wierd thing that comes to mind is from when they first started going through your luggage. When I unpacked our suitcase I found that a TSA agent must have put a small, plain metal cross in a front pocket. :confused3

Man oh man! On my last flight back here from LAX there was a guy behind me that had been drinking, or so I would think. He's cussing to himself constantly while we're at the gate, and I don't mean softly either. Then, as the plane is taxing out the overhead bin opens up about two seats in front of me. Family is calling over to the flight attendant and one of them happens to whistle softly for her. And, this drunk guy takes off cussing at him telling him he's gonna beat him if he does that again and so on, and so on. He woudl not stop. Dang!

This family was so nice. I felt badly for them actually. Here they were so happy coming over here for vacation and this nut case does that. I really expected the flight attendants to stop the plane, open the door, toss him on the tarmac and keep going.

First one was going to Hawaii in 1998. My DD said she smelled cigarette smoke and having asthma shes more sensitive to it. Well sure enoough there was some guy smoking near the restrooms!!! Not once but twice the FA took his ciggies from him and he would just keep lighting up!!!

The Hawaii police were waiting for him!!!!

THe second one was just last year on our way back from Hawaii. We left Kauai at 10:00pm and there was a mother and little girl about 3 or 4 a few rows ahead of us and the girl screamed most of the way to LA!!!

The FA asked a couple of times if they could and the mother played "possium" pretending she was asleep hoping the girl would fall asleep (I hate to say it but it didnt help!!!)

Needless to say it was a long flight to LA!!!

my story pales in comparison! Wife and I were flying back home from Miami and were going through the security gate... there was the normal security person telling everyone to take there shoes off and put them on the belt.... and there was a lady in front of us that was giving the security dude a hard time.... all in Spanish... she was being pretty snotty... (or so we thought) but when she was ready to leave, she says "Ok, thanks.... just testing you" in the most perfect English... :rotfl:

we got a good laugh out of it...

nope never sat next to a Puss man.... but I did sit next to a Russian Au Pair once...
was kinda kewl... her book was completely not in English....

Later,
Paul

Just had another Airline experience, but this was a good one. Since the flight was out of Midway, I'm surprised they didn't film it for the show. Sea World had sent a number of animals (mostly birds, plus a sloth) to Taste of Chicago, and they were being sent back to FL on my flight! The trainers pre-boarded with the animals in carriers and took over the bulkhead and a couple of front rows. Each animal had its own seat, and I was close enough to see the boarding passes as the gate agent checked them in...each one said "Conure, Golden" "Toucan, Hornbilled" or whatever in the name section. During the flight, one of the trainers brought the toucan down the aisle so everyone could see it. A Kodak moment and I didn't have my camera...bummer. How often do you see a bird flying IN a plane? :goodvibes
Barb

I don't have any experiences yet, because I won't be taking my first flight until later on this year. But I can say that I have learned what NOT to do by watching airline! LOL! :rotfl:

Our last flight back from Denver my family had seats 15b-d and my husband's seat was full (15B). So he thought he had the wrong seat and sat behind the filled seat(16B). Then the proper occupant of that seat arrives. So now there are 3 men (including the one in 15 B who should have been in 15 A) pulling out of their tickets to see who is in the wrong seat. Turns out it was this stupid girl sitting in 15A all along who acted like she belonged there. She acted totally oblivious to the whole thing. She never said sorry or acknowledged anyone. She had to be totally "clueless" ! As a result, my husband gave up his seat and moved to the back of the plane (to her seat) so she could stay put! We had a good laugh over her lack of SA (situational awareness)!

If it had been my seat she would have been on her *** so fast it wouldn't be funny!

Another time is Orlando, after circling for an hour, this huge lady from the back of the plane comes shooting through the center isle to try to get to the front of the plane. WE all know that the process of orderly deplanning prohibits this. My kids were already in the isle when she tries to get right behind them, so I squeeze myself between her and my kids. She gets really huffy, especially when I say, "where are you going since you can't get out of the plane anyway - wait your turn". It was one of those moments where everyone stops talking to see what will happen next. She gave me one of those looks that could kill. Fortunately, there was no altercation, but she was super pissed!

-------------------------------------------------

max is my favorite cat ! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter