After cataract surgery on one eye?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I recently had cataract surgery on one eye (they just do one eye at a time). I had laser surgery, and no longer need glasses to see out of my left eye. The problem is that I'm still very nearsighted, as well as I have mild astigmatism in my right eye and can't see a thing without my glasses. Problem is, when I put on my glasses, my left eye gets all blurry now. I haven't gone back to my doctor for my follow up, so I can just hope the right eye gets fixed soon. My question is-for the mean time, any tips on what I can do? Has anyone here dealt with the problem and if so, what did you do?

I wore one contact lens and also popped one lens out of my glasses.
One other advice, after 2nd eye surgery, don't rush to get new glasses. Wait a bit until both eyes settle. I rushed and spent $$ on bifocal glasses/ prescription sunglasses, etc. All turned out to be unnecessary for me.

I had cataract surgery several years ago after a retina detachment. I wore contacts at the time and have only worn one in my right eye ever since. I do still need reading glasses though unless I don’t have my contact lens in.

Just had mine done in Dec. 23. First thing I did was change out the RX lenses in the "new" eye side to clear.
I opted for the lense that insurance would pay for so it ended up being an average set up more for distance. I will still have to wear cheaters for close in vision.
I'll have the other eye done later this year.
You can spend around $6k per eye for the "do it all" lense. Most insurance companies won't pay for them.
I'm very happy with what I ended up with. Much better than what I had, especially for driving at night.

I had mine done 2 weeks apart so the inconvenience was minimized. Agree that popping out the lense of your glasses for your new eye will be the easiest solution.

Cataract surgery was life altering for me… went from 20/220 to 20/20… just got the regular monofocal implants so need reading glasses but totally transformative!

I had mine done 2 weeks apart so the inconvenience was minimized. Agree that popping out the lense of your glasses for your new eye will be the easiest solution.

Cataract surgery was life altering for me… went from 20/220 to 20/20… just got the regular monofocal implants so need reading glasses but totally transformative!
Thanks so much for the encouragement! For me, the experience of having the first eye done wasn't so bad that I mind having the second one done. I've been nearsighted and worn glasses since I was 7 YO. So I just can't imagine life without glasses.
If you don't mind me asking, how long before you went out to buy cheap reading glasses (assuming you did).

Thanks so much for the encouragement! For me, the experience of having the first eye done wasn't so bad that I mind having the second one done. I've been nearsighted and worn glasses since I was 7 YO. So I just can't imagine life without glasses.
If you don't mind me asking, how long before you went out to buy cheap reading glasses (assuming you did).
This was a few years ago but I recall my vision settling in very quickly. My doc actually wrote a script for readers because I used a computer at the time but said to just go get 2.5 readers and I’d be fine. Vision was 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.

I did develop a fairly common complication where a film forms on the lense over time… about 2 years after surgery my doc did a laser procedure to clear the lense and said it will never come back which is great but even better my vision went to 20/20 in both eyes!

I was “blind as a bat” my whole life… glasses went on first thing before getting out of bed in the morning and off after I got in bed at night. Now I can read road signs when I’m driving and go to the pool without having to memorize where my lounge chair is! LOL

I got my first pair of glasses at 6 years old… I had dents on my nose from the weight of the lenses so I can so relate! I predict a whole new view of the world for you when both eyes are done! Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter