Advice for overseas visitors

Overhearing a disturbing conversation is not quite the same as being on the receiving end of a full-frontal aggressive verbal political attack by a stranger when all you are doing is pleasantly chatting with their wife. I mentioned the "Machine gun dick" incident because it was so at odds with all of the positive interactions my family have had with Americans -- and other guests -- at Disney over the past 20 years.
I was grilled by an Australian in 2002 about how many slaves my family owned when he found out I was from the south. He was extremely angry and let it be known he didn’t like those from the south that owned slaves. There are uninformed idiots in every country.

Last edited:
We're heading to London, Dublin, and to various parts of Scotland at the end of next week. We've never been outside of the US. I've been reading up on what to expect, which was a big bunch of no problems to be worried about
.......until.......
we met with US Customs for our Global Entry interview. We were warned to stay away from crowds, don't show any type of behavior that we are US citizens, and say we are from Canada if we feel threatened(especially London). That moved our thoughts a completely different direction. We were warned about the frequent knife attacks in London and that the Dublin Rock and Roll race, which I am participating in, would be a prime example of a terror target. He said don't change anything, but be vigilant at all times. He did say rural Scotland would be a place where we would have no worries at all.

The only changes we are making based on this info is to take a cab instead of the tube from Heathrow due to luggage and we are not taking any apparel with USA on it for the trip.

Overhearing a disturbing conversation is not quite the same as being on the receiving end of a full-frontal aggressive verbal political attack by a stranger when all you are doing is pleasantly chatting with their wife. I mentioned the "Machine gun dick" incident because it was so at odds with all of the positive interactions my family have had with Americans -- and other guests -- at Disney over the past 20 years.

I know I didn't share details, nor will I as I don't believe it's meant for this board but rest assured, while not identical, it fit in with your scenario. MY point was it's not limited to here and can happen even in the best of times anywhere. Also these are not the normal everyday experiences as the OP seems to be fearing.

The only changes we are making based on this info is to take a cab instead of the tube from Heathrow due to luggage
We took the Heathrow Express to the airport from our hotel. It was extremely easy and there is a dedicated spot on each train car for luggage. We did take a taxi from our hotel to Paddington rather then the tube because of the luggage and a need to switch lines to get to Paddington.

Take a look at the Heathrow Express.

I was grilled by an Australian in 2002 about how many slaves my family owned when he found out I was from the south. He was extremely angry and let it be known he didn’t like those from the south that owned slaves. There are uninformed idiots in every country.
On behalf of all Australians,I apologize, he possibly is just a big a tool at home as well as abroad...yep you do get some yobs in every country, i'm surprised though , because normally we are so laid back and are well traveled and open to new experiences and histories. there are parts of our history we are not proud of as well, stolen generation to name one of them, and he should have known that, talk about calling the kettle black....but anyway......The joy about traveling is experiencing new and exciting things, although this trip has me a little bit rattled. As for London and the underground, use it if you can, its so convenient and you dont have to worry about the traffic. Off subject, but my favorite public transport systems have to be Tokyo and Sydney, great, easy to use networks. So if you are ever in Sydney, get the opal card, and that gives you bus, train and ferry trips for a max $15 a day (except airport line). bargain, cheap way to see the city and suburbs.

Last edited:
We're heading to London, Dublin, and to various parts of Scotland at the end of next week. We've never been outside of the US. I've been reading up on what to expect, which was a big bunch of no problems to be worried about
.......until.......
we met with US Customs for our Global Entry interview. We were warned to stay away from crowds, don't show any type of behavior that we are US citizens, and say we are from Canada if we feel threatened(especially London). That moved our thoughts a completely different direction. We were warned about the frequent knife attacks in London and that the Dublin Rock and Roll race, which I am participating in, would be a prime example of a terror target. He said don't change anything, but be vigilant at all times. He did say rural Scotland would be a place where we would have no worries at all.

The only changes we are making based on this info is to take a cab instead of the tube from Heathrow due to luggage and we are not taking any apparel with USA on it for the trip.

I loved Scotland, and the people are lovely, the English are great as well. Enjoy your trip, will be magical, and do try to use the tube for most of your stuff, also dont expect anything in London to be cheap, so budget accordingly :)

that the Dublin Rock and Roll race, which I am participating in, would be a prime example of a terror target. .

what utter crap. I'm from Dublin. I know of the event you are doing and I have NEVER heard a terror warning for it. Dublin is way way way down on the terror list, a very different city to London, Paris, etc. Yes we have our problems, yes we have crime BUT we DO NOT HAVE TERROR ATTACKS like in London or 9/11 or like in France or other European countries.

One thing which your dim witted US Customs Agent didnt tell you, Ireland is a neutral country, we do not go to war, we do not invade countries, we do not have active service troops in Afghanistan, Syria or other middle east countries. Our armed forces are the peace keepers, who work with the UN to clean up the messes of war and rebuilt the countries and territories.

Oh and another thing, we have very very strict gun laws and our police force are not armed. So come to my country and take part in an event and know that you do not have to be afraid of a white male mass shooter or an Islamic style terror attack happening at the event.

the US Government often gives the worst case scenario. For years it's been suggested that Americans abroad in Europe try to blend in, but not so they could avoid being physically attacked. It's just courtesy. You don't have to stay away from the locals or pretend you are not from the US. Anyway, most people can tell. Even if you try to be the least American you can be, many of them can tell.

Yes there are knife attacks in London, but generally not in the tourist areas. Yes there are terrorist attacks (including terrorist attacks with knives). Are you screwed if one of those happens near you, could be. Will one happen near you, not likely. And yes you need to keep an eye out when traveling. You need to keep an eye out anywhere. Even in your home town.

As for London it absolutely won't be cheap...budget accordingly

If you meet a jerk (and they can be anywhere), stand down, don't escalate.

Last edited:
On behalf of all Australians,I apologize
I don’t understand people apologizing for the behavior of a single person as though it reflected the attitude of the entire country.

The only person who should be apologizing is the lunatic who berated me.

His behavior will in no way influence my decision to return. The only influencer is dreading the 17+ hour flying required to get there from Atlanta. Lewis Black has a great bit about travel to New Zealand. It is insulting that after such a long flight, the locals don’t even have the courtesy to speak another language.

Unfortunately, I think it depends on where you are coming from, what you look like, what your name is, and if you are wearing a headscarf. I would expect once at Disney you'll be treated like you always are, but I won't make promises on behalf of the TSA and Homeland Security.

We have a friend named Mohammed who was born in Minnesota and is in his 40s - he's a well paid, well respected business person and looks it - but does have Middle Eastern features and a brown complexion. He gets hassled on every flight - he now just plans on an extra hour through security. He's been held in customs for 48 hours re entering the U.S. - he's been a citizen his entire life and, of course, travels on a U.S. passport.

Tourists are also popular targets for theft and scams, because they are not familiar with their surroundings and they usually carry money and may have their guard down. Another reason they say to keep a low profile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter