Advice for Driving

mom25kiddos

Mouseketeer
We are going to Palm Springs in May for a week. My husband will be at a work session for several days, so I figured I would take the kids to Disneyland for a couple of days. I have looked into bus/train options, but there seems to be none that are feasible (if there are, I would love some suggestions!). So I am anticipating driving. Was thinking of leaving PS on Saturday afternoon, spending the evening downtown disney and then doing 2 days in the park, driving back Monday night. I am hoping to avoid the worst of the traffic-would I be better to leave Sunday morning? Any other suggestions for the drive? I am following the safety thread for driving also posted here and it has be slightly freaked out (someone suggested carrying 'protection' and as a Canadian that clearly means something different, lol). I haven't driven in CA traffic before but do live in a moderately sized city. I appreciate our traffic is not like CA traffic though-is this overall a terrible idea? Other options for getting there? I have also read about some people using Uber for long distances like this-is that feasible?

Last edited:
We are going to Palm Springs in May for a week. My husband will be at a work session for several days, so I figured I would take the kids to Disneyland for a couple of days. I have looked into bus/train options, but there seems to be none that are feasible (if there are, I would love some suggestions!). So I am anticipating driving. Was thinking of leaving PS on Saturday afternoon, spending the evening downtown disney and then doing 2 days in the park, driving back Monday night. I am hoping to avoid the worst of the traffic-would I be better to leave Sunday morning? Any other suggestions for the drive? I am following the safety thread for driving also posted here and it has be slightly freaked out (someone suggested carrying 'protection' and as a Canadian that clearly means something different, lol). I haven't driven in CA traffic before but do live in a moderately sized city. I appreciate our traffic is not like CA traffic though-is this overall a terrible idea? Other options for getting there? I have also read about some people using Uber for long distances like this-is that feasible?
I think it's easy to get the impression that all of southern CA is the same level of crowded, but it does vary. Driving in LA is not the same as driving in San Diego or Anaheim, etc. DH thinks driving in LA is adventurous and doesn't mind it. I don't have that positive an outlook lol, and I'm happier once we get closer to Irvine or Anaheim or Pasadena. It's going to feel crowded compared to your home (based on the "moderately sized" descriptor), I'm sure, but try not to worry about the safety part.

Public transit options are very limited. I have no personal experience, but I'm aware some college students use https://www.flixbus.com/ as a cheaper alternative to short flights in the southwest. I would be very surprised if you could get an Uber - that's like a 2h drive.

Buses would take the longest and add on the stress of having to make sure you're getting off on the right stop, worrying about how late the next bus is. A 20 minute drive turns into an hour by bus. Trains are a bit quicker, I'm not very well versed with taking them, but I do know there is a train station in Anaheim that would just need an Uber drive to Disneyland property. As for Uber from PS this would be the quickest way between the three choices (where you're not the driver) but it would be very costly and might not happen. If you were to Uber there I would make sure to plan the drive ahead of time on the app, and tip really well. There's a good chance they might not take you, Ive had drivers ask me to cancel the trip that was half the distance. Socal traffic can get pretty bad, weekends especially, but it's manageable, so I think as long as you prepare yourself for the traffic you should be okay to go either day. I've never driven to Anaheim on a Sunday morning, I'd assume you'd have to leave fairly early to try to beat weekend/post church traffic. Anaheim is safe, I've gone to events in the area and I've seen a bunch of police monitoring the area, plus if youre staying on Disney property the Disney bubble is even safer. I'd say to fill up in PS and wait to get gas in Anaheim if possible. Not to say that stopping for gas on the way is dangerous, but just to have peace of mind of not having to make a stop in an unfamiliar city. If you do drive and go on the 60 the Ontario/Chino/Diamond Bar area is, from my experience, safe. If you're really worried about the area you get off in, I would say just to make sure you get gas during the day, keep your doors locked, and don't keep valuables in sight. I'm generally an anxious driver, so I find planning my route, knowing which exits to take, which freeways i need to switch over to, and looking at the traffic on google maps during different hours of the day helps tremendously. I do think you could manage the drive, but ultimately it's up to you! ☺️ I hope you and the kiddos have an amazing trip!

I would just drive it. Load up the GPS and stick to highways and you are fine. Weekends aren't as bad as weekdays. Depending on what time you leave Monday it could be a little more busy but after 7 it start to thin out.

I just drove from PS to DL in March. We drove Tuesday evening, parks Wednesday, then drove back late Wednesday night.

I think Saturday afternoon/evening is fine. And ignore that thread about safety concerns-it's fine.

The only caution I would have is that if you are renting a car at PS airport-many of the vehicles are full electric, which is what we got. While it was great for driving around PS, the drive to/from DL takes more than a full charge, and it was very, VERY frustrating trying to find chargers that were working. So unless you are used to dealing with a plug-in, I would rent a hybrid or gas car to do a longer drive like this.

But if you wind up with an electric, I can tell you which chargers were working at midnight halfway between Anaheim and PS :)

Thanks for all of the advice-I had never thought of the electric issue (I come from oil and gas country). I need a mini-van (we have five kids) so think electric is less likely but really no idea!

Also thanks for calming me down from the safety threads. The gun comment did seem a bit extreme!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter