Adrenalin Pens

No problem, you won't get a second glance.

Anne

My sister carried her little girl's pen in without any problem, when she had her bag searched she just explained what they were and why she was carrying them.

I've never even had to explain, and no one has ever asked. Trust me, they see them every day and know what they are.

Anne

Just to be safe, however, I would carry a Dr.'s note with me. I usually put an extra copy of the Dr's note I use to allow me to board an airplane with my children's EpiPens. I usually put them in the original box with a visible prescription label as well. Better safe than sorry, right?

DVCDawn ::MinnieMo

I've carried my Epipen, in the plastic tube, no original box, and no doctors note on a plane as a carryon about 12 times in the past year alone. NO ONE CARES! They ALL have seen them hundreds, if not thousands of times, and know what they are.

Anne

FWIW, I have been asked to produce the doctor's letter at the Orlando International Airport (MCO) TWICE in the past year and a half.

DVCDawn said:
FWIW, I have been asked to produce the doctor's letter at the Orlando International Airport (MCO) TWICE in the past year and a half.

Interesting. I've flown out of there must be about a dozen times in the past 14 months and have yet to have them give it a second glance. In fact none of my friends who carry them have ever been asked for documentation either. Do you pull it out and "announce" it? Mine stays in my purse. In fact 99% of the time I forget I even have it.

Anne

The OP's question was about going to the parks, but since air travel came up, here's a link to the TSA page about disabilities/special medical needs. (TSA = Transportation Security Administration). There is a link on that page to information about medication.
In case the link doesn't work, here's most of what it says:
  • All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Atropens, an auto-injection system that can help treat many emergency conditions (low heart rate, breathing problems, and excess saliva related to insecticide, nerve gas or mushroom poisoning) are also allowed.
  • Medications should be labeled so they are identifiable.
  • Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they been screened.
  • Medication and related supplies are normally x-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.

Well, there you go. As long as you've got the pen in it's safety tube, you're all set, as the pen itself is clearly labeled as to what it is. The TSA rules don't requier a doctors note, or even a prescription label. End of story.

Anne

Anne:

No, I did not "announce" that I have EpiPens in my pocketbook. I fly out of JFK airport in NYC and they could care less, however, at MCO it's been a different story. The first time, they looked in my bag and pulled out the small carrying case I use to carry 2 Epis and a bottle of children's Benadryl, opened it up and said that I needed a doctor's note. I produced said note and the security person said he had to show it to his supervisor. The second time, I had two sets of Epi's (my youngest DD had recently been diagnosed), but they were in the original prescription boxes. And still, I was asked if I had a doctor's note. There was no bringing to a supervisor, but I had to produce it nonetheless.

In previous years, they never even noticed.

Dawn,

If they ask again, I'd tell them that under the ADA you are not required to discuss your specific disabilities, and that under the TSA's written info on their web site, you do not need to show a doctors note. In all honesty, to do so is probably a violation of your privacy.

And in my case, if all else fails, I'll call my cousin, who's a FBI agent "on loan" to Homeland Security to oversee TSA in Central FL LOL!

Anne

It does help to know the TSA guidelines. I had flown many times with my mother in her own wheelchair, including to London, with never a problem, until the security at the Sarasota, FL airport decided to not allow the tool bag that went with the wheelchair (needed for adjustments, emergency repairs, etc.) There was nothing sharp in the bag, however, no amount of reasoning could persuade this guard or the guard's supervisor. Our luggage had already gone through. I had to leave my Mom in her chair, run back downstairs, and fortunately found a kind guy on the airline desk who somehow managed to get the tool kit in the luggage. Fortunately, the plane was delayed so we did not miss the flight. While we were waiting for the delayed plane, the director from security services came up and apologized, saying they had checked the guidelines and I was correct -- wheel chair tool kits that went with the chair were an explicitly allowed item. He said in the future, that if such a circumstance occured to ask the guard to check the relavant TSA guidelines for the item (in this case wheelchair tool kit) as it is the fastest way to resolve an interpretive dispute.

I would tend to carry a printout of the relevant TSA guidelines over a prescription as you occassionally run into newer security personnel who are overly scrupulous about their security interpretations.

Good grief! I agree with ducklite you shouldn't have to produce a letter but good thing you had it I suppose. I did not carry one for all of my son's medical supplies (epi-pens and diabetic supplies like syringes, lancets, infusion sets, etc) when we flew to Orlando this summer since it just needs to be in labeled packaging. All the screeners we passed seemed very familar with the items and his insulin pump.

However who would want to argue constitutional rights with the security guards on your way to vacation? I can imagine them penning you up in a room for 12 hours while they "check out your story" or some such thing. :earboy2:

I agree with Selket. It's easy enough to get the doctor's note, so why ruin a vacation by arguing with security personnel. My children's allergies are no secret; in fact, I would prefer that people knew, rather than not. Frankly, I was happy to see that they actually checked the bags thoroughly. After living through 9/11 (we live close to NYC and DH works there) I'd rather they err on the side of caution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter