"Abusing" Club Level privileges

Originally posted by callaghan
You said it!

Money doesn't buy class. And by blaming "low-class" people, you are enhancing the stereotype. I sat and watched people line up for free ice cream. One of the stores was giving away ice-cream scoops to support a charity. There was a collection basket, and most of the people who donated were what this board would consider "low class". The "elite" took their ice cream and kids and left. Please don't judge people by appearances, it is so deceiving and wrong.
Now if you ask me, there is a big difference between "old-money and new-money", but that is another debate for another day!

callie

And I could say that not all wealthy people are stingy and do not give to charity. We donate heavily to charity. To lump them all together is as bad as to say all lower class folks are pigs.

Callaghan wrote:

There was a collection basket, and most of the people who donated were what this board would consider "low class". The "elite" took their ice cream and kids and left. Please don't judge people by appearances, it is so deceiving and wrong.

So---how did you decide who was "low class" and "elite"???

By appearances??? That is so wrong. ;)

I do agree though that judging by appearances is wrong. Dh and I are old liberal hippies and we dress like it. We have been blessed in this life, and stay concierge and fly first class whenever we travel. Always. Last time we were at the Poly we paid rack rate for concierge, and probably will again, since we tend to go to WDW on a moments notice. People judge me on appearance all the time, and it sucks. New money, old money, no money or lots of money---long hair or short, LOL--bad manners cut across socio-economic lines. I know people who have $5 million in the bank who might have been the ones someone upthread saw hording chicken at Crystal Palace.....and I also agree that WDW needs an ultra elite hotel. You just never know about people. You don't know if they have 7 little ones back in two well-paid-for suites, or if they are just poor ne'er do wells with a code who want to get what they paid for. :rolleyes: It's an equal opportunity world, god love it--we all have an equal chance to be rude horders or nice lovely concierge "neighbors". When it comes down to it--I think this is just an example of the overall social decay of our society. Manners are not taught and are not "in".

skiwee1

I completely agree with you and was wrong about "lump-summing" people. Most people I know give generously to charities. It just struck me as odd to be at this event and see what I saw.
"Low-class" and "High-class" have nothing to do the amount of money or possessions you have. It is all about the kind of person you are.

callie

If by "Hmmmmmmmmm" you think I'm wrong, disney queen, why don't you go look up the definition in a hospitality /services textbook. Concierge service is not for everyone, nor is it intended for everyone - rather a small percentage. I think since we all know perfectly well what we're talking about here it is ridiculous to justify what this thread started as - a comment on the unseemly behavior of a growing number of "concierge level" guests

Originally posted by chamonix
Callaghan wrote:

So---how did you decide who was "low class" and "elite"???

By appearances??? That is so wrong. ;)

By appearances, no. By the treatment of others and willingness to flaunt their trophies in the faces of others. I live in an area of the country that is commonly known as the wealth belt. As more and more housing goes up, people move more and more south. It just so happens that they are moving into rural, farming communities (cheap land and lots of it).
Behold the McMansions!!!!!!

DH and I try to live simple so that others can simply live. We try to teach our children to be good people. Manners are important to us, as is respect for others. It just got under my skin that this company was trying to raise money for a great cause and half the people came for free ice cream. Just put a dollar in the jar!

These are just my two cents.
callie

I live in an area of central New Jersey that is loaded with very wealthy people (People with last names like Merck, DeLoreon and Forbes). My husband has lived most of his life in this area and we have enjoyed the company of a few rich and/or famous people. I did not come from money and I have learned a few things since marrying him:

The amount of anyone's net worth has nothing to do with class , happiness or mental health! I can also tell you that there are extremely wealthy people in the world who are as tight as the paper on the walls and would not be caught dead spending that extra money on concierge. Another point, if they look rich, dress rich- they probably aren't.

There are also people here who have million dollar mortgages and NO MONEY to buy curtains or furniture. Their lives are all smoke and mirrors. For many of them concierge would be an absolute must because their attempts at displaying wealth are the only way they believe they can feel good about themselves. It is sad because some of them are really wonderful, nice people and they are making their own lives miserable.

It is funny, when I think about using a concierge level room it is when my husband and I are traveling without kids and we would like the convenience of getting a glass of wine and some cheese without calling for room service or heading to a restaurant. Of course those times are usually business related. We are working and we are tired and the extra charge is usually a tax deduction. I think that was the intent of concierge level service.

Gina

We stayed last week at AKL and utilized the Killamanjaro club. I have to say if any of you all saw me perhaps you thought I was abusing the offerings. Let me say, the first time in the lounge my twins were totally incorrigable, It was like chasing a greased pig, times 2. I after that spent no time what so ever with them in the lounge, I fealt that thier antics were unfair to others. As such for the rest of my stay. I would enter with them safely ensconsed in the stroller. Let them choose what they wanted, take my diet coke and some pita crisps;) And we would turn around and go right back out the door. Now if you saw me I was indeed leaving with snacks in the stroller out of courtesy for other less wild 2 year old challenged guests. just a heads up, not everyone is rude somtimes there are valid reasons for someone to come in and out. And I can assure you anyone there on the morning of the 15th was grateful, we retreated to the room.:p

Originally posted by the disney queen
The point I was trying to make is that people who stay in concierge pay a premium for the services, and at least in my humble opinion (which is merely my opinion) the concierge staff should replenish the snacks, etc. as needed so that all guests can enjoy them at their leisure, during the designated times. The whole "run out of food" line from the staff is lame, IMHO. They have made a conscious decision to only have a set amount of food, and that is ridiculous, given the prices people pay to stay at the concierge level.

I don't work concierge, but I have heard people talking who do work there. After many years of guests, the concierge staff know approx. how much food is needed at any given time for a certain amount of guests. Therefore food is ordered each week and cooked each day based on the number of rooms occupied. Of course, they make a little more than they expect to need. But if they made huge extra amounts of food, then it would just be thrown away. Isn't that going to add to the cost of concierge?

So if one guest/room of guests take enough food for ten rooms, then it can throw the estimates off. If you want fresh, hot food you can see that this does make a difference.

Bianca

On my visit to concierge at the Poly last year, I nearly lost a hand to a women who was bound and determined to get that last greasy soggy chicken wing in the steamer tray. Butted right in line grabbed those tongs and plucked those last 30 or so wings out of the tray. Put the tongs down, saw that last wing floating in the grease and grabbed the tongs out of my fingers and grabbed that wing. I gave her a dirty look and she remarked to me that "if I had a problem with it , I should get my a_ _ back sooner, because she was in the lounge first. Everyone in the line was appalled.Seathing with anger I simply and very quietly mentioned to youngest dd, that she needed to 'bump' into that lady over there with the over filled plate of food. DD gladly went off, and opp's those greasy soggy wings were all over the floor. Everyone in line just laughted their toushies off. Needless to say she was pissed beyond belief. DD just said sorry in the sweetest way. Waiting for us in line was a nice new hot tray of wings. Everyone was civilized and only took a few, so when she got back in line there was still tons left. This time she took two dish fulls of wings, started out the door taking back to her room this time when a man turned to her and loudly said sure hope you don't choke on a chicken bone while in your room!.. No one could even help you. The lounge was roaring.

I still think many people see concierge as a meal replacement. That I find awful.

Originally posted by sandramaac
On my visit to concierge at the Poly last year, I nearly lost a hand to a women who was bound and determined to get that last greasy soggy chicken wing in the steamer tray. Butted right in line grabbed those tongs and plucked those last 30 or so wings out of the tray. Put the tongs down, saw that last wing floating in the grease and grabbed the tongs out of my fingers and grabbed that wing. I gave her a dirty look and she remarked to me that "if I had a problem with it , I should get my a_ _ back sooner, because she was in the lounge first. Everyone in the line was appalled.Seathing with anger I simply and very quietly mentioned to youngest dd, that she needed to 'bump' into that lady over there with the over filled plate of food. DD gladly went off, and opp's those greasy soggy wings were all over the floor. Everyone in line just laughted their toushies off. Needless to say she was pissed beyond belief. DD just said sorry in the sweetest way. Waiting for us in line was a nice new hot tray of wings. Everyone was civilized and only took a few, so when she got back in line there was still tons left. This time she took two dish fulls of wings, started out the door taking back to her room this time when a man turned to her and loudly said sure hope you don't choke on a chicken bone while in your room!.. No one could even help you. The lounge was roaring.

OH I LOVE IT!!!! That is absolutely unacceptable and you never should have done it and I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!! Those people in line with you were probably happier than when they got to see Mickey Mouse the first time!!!!! Priceless, just priceless!!!! Wish I had your guts!

The part-time CM is right on the money- to use a decent analogy, concierge food is like planning a wedding with appetizer trays. Your caterer will tell you that if you have 100 people, you'll probably need "x" amount of appetizers per person, rolls available at dinner, bottles of liquor. It's all based upon who will be there and some mysterious formula that I don't know about. :D So you figure you have a bit of wiggle room too in case Aunt Sue decides to skip the potstickers in favor of extra carrots because she's watching her weight and your crazy cousin Larry decides he's really into those "shrimp things" you got....ideally everyone comes out of the situation with a happy tummy and you come out with a happy bill for appetizers.

This is my rough approximation on how food budgeting occurs....I'm not an expert at all, but that's kind of how it works. Concierge expects X number of guests based upon occupancy and plans for X number of guests. Now if 1 or 2 of those guests hauls off with FULL TRAYS of food (and believe me, its happened a lot recently and its not always traceable) you then have a huge problem. This is why veterans of the Marriott Orlando World Center may remember a FANTASTIC concierge level that is no more....greedy guests were taking back so much food and disrupting the service (and resulting in HUGE losses) that Marriott chose to shut it down.

Please don't flame me for my following comments, as I'm mentioning this for observation only. HISTORICALLY concierge levels were the first class airplane cabins of hotels....generally only those who could afford it regularly would use it. I will make an argument that those who repeatedly use concierge floors for years kind of get a "jist" of how it works- a small bite here, continental breakfast, etc. when it comes to food. Kind of like unwritten rules if you will- and I'm not saying all people abide by them. Now as discounts have occurred, making it easier for more people who many not be used to how concierge levels work, it opens the door for people who may not be as familiar with it being a sampling, not a dinner buffet and totally open bar. Some people fall in line perfectly with what the lounge offerings were intended for, some think its a time to get all the food so they can really use up the concierge offerings and "get their money's worth."

A lot of this just boils down to old-fashioned manners- either you have them or you don't. Class and $$ have nothing to do with it. Like another poster said, you can't dictate class on income level, and 99% of the people who REALLY have money (particularly old money) you will never know about it. It's all about what you are used to in what you consider to be low and high class.

Peter Pirate, you said, "Concierge was intended to pamper those guests to which money is not a concern.". I merely showed you the current (not outdated, actually) definition of the term. Perhaps you could show ME where it states it was to pamper those to which money is not a concern? :) Someone mentioned looking it up in a hospitality/service book. Perhaps that's where you saw it? I don't have access to those, as I've never worked in that particular industry.

We've paid rack rate (willingly) to stay at the concierge level at WDW resorts. We live comfortably, but we don't enjoy a wealthy/pampered lifestyle. At a place like WDW, it seems to ME (and this is only my opinion, and I'm not quoting it as a FACT ;) ) concierge services are for anyone who has the means to afford it...this might mean money is a concern for them (as it is for most people, meaning they save up to do it) or it is not.

here's a novel idea then... no food allowed to be taken back to the room. ala an all you can eat restaurant.. It eliminates the taking food back for non-concierge paying guests. And hire a bouncer to toss people who've had too much.. The host at my local Chinese buffet would do well at it.. " No more pot sticker for you!! You go now!! Eat too much!! You go!!! ;)

Originally posted by Fargoman2
Just completed a fine stay at the Dolphin. But I must say I was first amused and then annoyed by the abuse of CL privileges. A woman who our family tabbed "Cookie Lady" must have acquired a bakery's-worth of goodies in her room before her stay was completed. Every afternoon after enjoying already generous portions of all available food and beverages, she would leave CL with a plate stacked high with HUGE cookies and beverages--as did at least one of her grandson? nephew's?

Now I understand that it's more than fine to bring back a plate of goodies for someone who couldn't make it to the CL area or to bring a little something back "for the road", but this was an obvious case of "milking" the perks of CL priviliges to extreme limits. Besides, her excessive cookie collecting left others who came later wondering "Hey, what happened to all the chocolate cookies?"

I can only hope that "Cookie Lady" represents a small percentage of CL guests. I know I should just mind my own business and not cast aspersions on others but it just sort of bugged me that someone would take advantage of a business in such a way.

Has anyone else observed similar behavior in CL? Am I in the minority for thinking there is anything wrong with "maxmizing" one's CL benefits?
(LOL~too funny)...I too "witnessed" this COOKIE LADY. Dearest Fargoman....did she have "dark hair", and her young (maybe 12-13) grandson/nephew came w/a backpack each day to cart away the entire cache of COKE (& other soda products?). The cookies were always cleared by the time I arrived (usually late), as she was there right at the opening of CL (5 each eve), according to the concierge staff.

Since I only visit CL once every three days or so, (never in the am...I Sleep too late!) and never near opening (it's a Comp plat. perk, so I never feel obligated, even if I paid~I would not RUN to be there @ 5)...I only passed her a couple of times, yet she was difficult to miss. She would leave with soda's precariously propped in her arms and a plate of cookies PILED high! I even noticed a hushed exchange between one of the concierge and the young man accompanying this woman to the CL lounge. She told him politely he could NOT take any more bottled water, as he already had filled his backpack...and had about 6-8 on the table. He also had a cookie cache on a plate.

Perhaps they had a hidden army back in their room to feed (Carbo-addicts). I have no idea. I mostly skip the bevs and sweets, and enjoy the wonderful array of fresh fruit, veggies, cheese and crackers. ^_^ Yet, just because I would never exhibit this behavior, I try not to judge. To each, his/her own. The concierge did a good job trying to be gracious, avoid conflict, yet get the point across to this young man.

I agree with you 100%, and believe CL is intended for a little "R & R" time. I enjoy this level of service at the majority of properties I frequent, and never take advantage of the offerings. Yet others do/will. I do not believe it is intended for "stocking" your own room/suite with free beverages/food. It is a "privilege" offered by the resort property.

CL at the Dolphin is wonderful, and the concierge are very accomodating and gracious. The water bottles are small, (6 oz). The sodas used to come in small "pony" bottles which were also 6 oz. Now, they come in the regular 12 oz can size. If they placed a water cooler in the lounge, along with a soda dispenser, it may prove even more practical.

I believe most of the folks do not abuse the CL lounge. This person stood out to both of us, as she was the anomaly/exception (and the fact she dropped some cookies as she was passing us in the elevator). :p If I wish to take some food/bevs back to the suite, I always ASK the concierge for permission (which they graciously grant).

I'm sure the cookie lady's gone now...as I have not seen her in a couple of weeks. Next summer...there'll be another. Adds to the humor and folly of life, and excitement of the CL lounge.

TTFN....:wave:

Originally posted by Disney's Deluxe Princess
I'll keep an eye out for ladies with curlers and sheer nightgowns.:D

TeeHee! This reminds me--last Friday we were at SAB, DH & I were sitting on loungers eating the chicken fingers I waited half an hour for (another thread!). At any rate, on the chair directly in front of us was a woman who had taken her bikini top off to sunbathe. OK, not a problem. Except that she kept raising her self up and showing her front off to everyone in front of her.

My DH was so interested in the french fries that he didn't even notice until I pointed it out to him :p -- he's getting old! ;) I wonder about her, because as time went on she was holding herself up longer and longer--like she was trying to give a show.

Anne

Originally posted by callaghan
It just got under my skin that this company was trying to raise money for a great cause and half the people came for free ice cream. Just put a dollar in the jar!

These are just my two cents.
callie

To me it's the same thing as the Boy Scouts or Kawinas or whoever running a "free coffee" stand at a rest area during huge travel times like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yes, it's a public service, but geez, do people really think that they don't expect a donation for it? I always leave a few bucks in the tin if I grab a cup of coffee...I guess I feel guilty and leave more than I think is "expected" to try and cover the losses on the people who don't give anything.

As far as concierge goes, it certainly should be open to anyone who wants to pay for it. In some cases that will be the uber wealthy, and in other cases it will be people who have scrimped and saved for years. But like others have mentioned, perhaps the problem is the "deal seekers" which fall into ALL socio-economic levels. The "Deal Seekers" are NOT people who stumble on a good code and upgrade because of it in order to get a little extra pampering, but rather those who get a concierge room with the full expectation that they will squeeze every possible dime of value out of it, even if it means eating cereal perloined from the lounge during breakfast for dinner, and walking off with a case of Coke for the drive back home.

Perhaps not discounting concierge would stop this "type" of person (although I do'nt think so), but regretfully it will also prevent many people who would never dream of taking advantage (or a case of Coke :eek!: ) from enjoying some extra perks that they might not be able or want to pay for otherwise. :(

Anne

Originally posted by twinmomplus2
just a heads up, not everyone is rude somtimes there are valid reasons for someone to come in and out. And I can assure you anyone there on the morning of the 15th was grateful, we retreated to the room.:p

No argument here, I don't think anyone is talking about people who take a snack and retreat to their room with it. That is certainly appropriate. The last time we were at AKL my DS was running a fever, and I went to the lounge and got some pretzels and a couple things of apple juice for him, plus a glass of wine and some appetizers for me and went back to the room.

I think what people are referring to are people who pile plates so high that food is falling off of them, leaving nothing for others, taking MUCH more than they can eat and letting it go to waste, or taking food back to the room to host a "party" with their non-concierge guests.

There is CERTAINLY a big difference.

And thanks for having the parenting skills and common sense to keep your "greased pigs" (loved that description!) from really interrupting the peace and quiet of others. I'm sure it was VERY appreciated by your fellow guests :)

Anne

Originally posted by Peter Pirate
But BCVNovember, if you think it's the upper 2% who are doing the majority of the 'cookie grubbing' I guess we'll just have to disagree (my comments aren't very PC I realize, but they're only generalizations)...

Peter - I know your comments, and mine, were posted yesterday, but this is the first time I've had a chance to catch up on this thread since I posted.

The point I was trying to make, was that you simply can't tell who the people are who are taking advantage by their appearance.

Anyway, it seems that everyone on this thread already knows how guests should act in concierge, and unfortunately the guests who need to be educated are not subscribed here.

In response to disneyqueen:

"Someone mentioned looking it up in a hospitality/service book. Perhaps that's where you saw it? I don't have access to those, as I've never worked in that particular industry. "
Who's the snob, now? Not to mention, get clued into sarcasm...

You said it yourself, "I think that the outrage should be directed towards the concierge staff NOT keeping the cookies... filled, regardless of how much anyone takes...But, when I pay anywhere from $100 to $150 more per night for the "privilege" of utilizing the concierge lounge and the food they provide, I darn well expect the staff to make SURE the food is there... It shouldn't matter if one guest takes a whole plate of anything back to their room...at the prices they charge, they can certainly afford more cookies!"
Translate: You're probably just the kind of concierge guest we're complaining about.

" The whole "run out of food" line from the staff is lame, IMHO. They have made a conscious decision to only have a set amount of food, and that is ridiculous, given the prices people pay to stay at the concierge level."
See above...

"Hmmmm...I don't see anything here about it being for "wealthy" people to feel pampered. For that matter, a lot of "regular" hotels have concierge desks to help EVERYONE with things they might need while traveling. "
If you don't think concierge is intended to be extra pampering for wealthier guests than you really just don't "get" it...

This thread hit particularly close to home. We recently stayed on the Club Level at the Swan. No complimentary upgrade, we paid for it. We enjoy the convenience of having access to a quick breakfast. We encountered so many rude people on this trip, that we are seriously considering not returning to the Swan. While the hotel staff has no control over the behavior of guests, they do have an obligation to provide guests with the offerings they paid for. Some examples: one family with 4 or 5 little ones allowed them to serve themselves from the buffet table handling items and putting them back on the table. They filled there plates numerous times taking bites and wasting food until they found something they actually liked. On one occassion, their son stood at the trash can in the middle of the lounge regurgitating a muffin he did not enjoy. Two evenings the lounge was particularly empty but the offerings were disappearing quickly. My husband and I both noticed this as we were having just soda and some veggies and dip. I then noticed a young woman with a bag on the floor. She made repeated trips to the table and loaded her bag. The best part of the club level offerings are the delicious cookies. We are a family of three and each take a cookie back to the room to enjoy when we return from our dinner and evening activities. My husband informed our son that he had better get his cookie before the woman put the tray in her bag. This next gripe will probably be disputed but it really bugs me. There are trays in the club lounge for dirty plates and glasses. I know, I know guests feel like they shouldn't have to bus tables but would it kill people to pick up after themselves. I get the feeling that guests feel that they are entitled to this behavior but it can spill over on other people's good times. Our biggest gripe was that the hotel staff didn't replenish the offerings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter