About time! Washington Redskins announce intention to change nickname

The Indians dropped Chief Wahoo (which was an offensive stereotypical mascot) a couple years ago and have announced that they're discussing changing the team name as well. Probably won't happen until 2022 according to some reports.

With "Indians" you get to offend two groups. My DH is an Asian Indian. He served as Chief of my younger son's tribe in our local YMCA Father/Child program before they removed all of the Native American imagery and language from the program. He used to joke that he was the only Indian who ever wore his Chief headress.
How about the Washington Sentinels?

Falco.png

Will the team come with Keanu Reeves? If so, count me in.

I thought all the Indians nicknames were becuse they are a proud people and a awesome fighter , I would look at it as a compliment. I guess the Indians, Braves and Black Hawks are next, lets delete them also

It's past time, but fortunately their sponsors and many members of the ownership syndicate finally stepped up and said the Redskins name and logo must be removed. It sounds like the new name and logo will be forthcoming, but in the meantime this is great news!

I agree with you OP. Should have been done a long time ago. While I’m not a huge football fan, I’ve always thought Redskins was a terribly blatant racial slur.

I thought all the Indians nicknames were becuse they are a proud people and a awesome fighter , I would look at it as a compliment. I guess the Indians, Braves and Black Hawks are next, lets delete them also

I think you are on to something. here is an article about the family and tribe of the native american, who designed the logo for the redskins. interesting to note, the logo used to just be an "R", but the tribe thought this was better, and I think that was 1972.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/sport...eator/65-bf85b9b8-fa48-48dc-a3d2-3f03326cc338

Last edited:
I thought all the Indians nicknames were becuse they are a proud people and a awesome fighter , I would look at it as a compliment.
The thing is, they're not really "a people" at all so any depiction lumping them all together is going to be problematic regardless of whether it's intended to be insulting or not. American Indians include many individual nations with completely separate cultures, languages, clothing, architecture, etc.

This would be like if you wanted to come up with a generic "Asian" to use for marketing a product. How do you come up with an image that accurately depicts people from China, India, Cambodia, Afghanistan, Iran, Mongolia, etc in one since those countries are so different from one another? The same would apply for Africa or Europe. I think it's easier for us to recognize that there are many cultures and peoples in those continents, but because we've seen so many stereotypical "Indians" we tend to think they're just one group.

As a side note, I think we could all agree that we would absolutely never see a sports team/mascot called "The Asians" or "The Africans". Why would we find those inappropriate or off-limits, but not Indians?

I’ve always thought Redskins was a terribly blatant racial slur.
It is. Look it up in several dictionaries.
-- offensive slang
-- used as a disparaging term
-- dated, offensive
It was listed in Merriam-Webster's first Collegiate Dictionary in 1898 as "often contemptuous" so this is not something new.

I heard they haven't announced the new name because somebody bought all the rights to all the websites with the names they were considering. Supposedly, they also trademarked all those names.

To me it does, but you're welcome to your opinion.

It’s not that far fetched. But the discussion is because the name is unacceptable by TODAY’S standards. We can’t hold a group of people accountable for past actions. Oh wait...

But in this case, I don’t think it’s tit for tat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter