? about peanut allergy and flying SW

4fordisneyworld

DIS Veteran
So it sounds good that they will make every effort to make your flight "nut free" but I am wondering how true this is? Anyone have any experiences they can share?

The peanut allergy board carries a forum just dealing with peanut allergies and airlines at http://www.peanutallergy.com/boards/ Scroll down to find the "Airlines" board. Or perhaps do a search for southwest.

Last I remember reading - which was many months ago - folks had mixed results and most recommended taking the first flight of the day after the plane is cleaned. The later flights often had peanuts on the floor, seats, etc.

I personally feel better flying an airlines that doesn't serve peanuts. I'm o.k. with tree nuts. Having several plane loads of people eating peanuts before we board is outside my comfort zone for my son. I think it depends also on the severity of the allergy you are dealing with.

Good luck!:thumbsup2

1) I do not have a child with a peanut allergy
2)I have never flown with Southwest

(I wanted to get that out there-so you knew I was not experienced in this type of problem.)

But I have to tell you last year my mom was flying to Pittsburg on SWA and she brought a jar of PB and bread on the plane.(My mother is 70 and she was making a sandwich for sister who has Down's-she has no clue about how many children now have the peanut allergy). Southwest did nothing to stop her except TSA took awar her steak knife(but that's a whole nother post). So in response to your post I would take SWA- as I would every other public place....you never know what obstacles you are going to encounter, so be prepared(wipes, seating both sides of your child, your own snacks etc). I am not sure they are not serving nuts etc, but do you really think they are going through people's carry ons? I would hope not. If your child has the type of allergy that he can't breathe the peanuts...then I would be calling my allergist and asking what can be done. I know I would be wiping down everything, since I always wonder how clean the planes really are.

I hope you have a safe trip.

I have not flown on Southwest, but I have been on a number of flights on other airlines where the flight attendants have made an announcement about peanut allergies. They asked people on that flight not to eat any peanuts or peanut containing foods.

As already was posted, you can never be sure what people might do or what people might have done on the plane before your flight, but I just wanted to let you know that the flight attendants I've seen do take it very seriously.

Sue I am not doubting what you say(and perhaps you fly more than me)...but I have to say I fly 6-8 times a year and I have NEVER heard an announcement re: peanut(or anyother allergy for that matter). I would not be shocked or suprised to hear it...and of course I totally understand, but I think it is strange I have never heard it(also considering many of those flights are connecting - I have probablly been on 10 flights this past year).

We have a peanut allergy in my family and when we fly SW and inform them of this, they did not serve peanuts on that flight and they also made an announcement regarding a peanut allergy. Was told by SW they can't guarantee people bringing peanuts on board. Also told the first flight out is the best because the plane is clean and should be "peanut free."

Unfortunately, after making our ressies, I've never been told by SW to do anything but this regarding peanut allergies: On the day of your flight and before you board, let SW know you have an allergy. Seems to me it doesn't give them much time to prepare for an alternate snack.

If anyone has been told anything else by SW, I'd be interested in hearing it.

I'm not so concerned about the occasional peanut butter eater on a plane. It is possible to end up next to them or near them and we could ask to be moved but that would just be bad luck I guess - not so likely to happen.

Even with the airlines that don't serve peanuts I like to take a twin size fitted bedsheet and I can cover his seat and arm rests with that. I wipe down the tray table and anything else he touches. If the armrest has some kind of controller on it (like for the tv's in the back of the seats on Jet Blue) I wipe that down then let him go for it while the plane is still sitting on the tarmac. It helps to fly outside of times when people are normally eating but that isn't always possible.

As to whether to fly or not or which airline - people have different comfort zones with that depending on their allergy, etc.

I have flown Jet Blue and United this past year and both were excellent. I find the info on the peanut allergy bboard to be the most up-to-date.

Sue I am not doubting what you say(and perhaps you fly more than me)...but I have to say I fly 6-8 times a year and I have NEVER heard an announcement re: peanut(or anyother allergy for that matter). I would not be shocked or suprised to hear it...and of course I totally understand, but I think it is strange I have never heard it(also considering many of those flights are connecting - I have probablly been on 10 flights this past year).
It's possible that you were never on a flight before where anyone had told the airline about a peanut allergy. They would not announce it unless someone did.
The announcements I heard were specific for that flight. Something along the lines of "we have someone aboard this flight with a peanut allergy, so we will not be serving any peanuts on this flight. We ask that you not open or eat any items containing peanuts that you have brought with you."

I understand where you are coming from.. we have a DD age 5 who is VERY allergic to peanuts even to the touch. Back our first flight after she was dx we had a problem and as soon as we landed at MCO we were on our way to Celebrations hospital.. that is how I've learned the tricks of the trade and flying. The hard way! So we have to be very careful and SW is the only airline we fly. Now I can give you some tips, you may or may not be doing this already. First a peanut allergy is always considered a medical preboard. One of us either myself or DH preboards early and we wipe down the seats in our rows with wipes. That includes the seats, tray table, the wall of the plane by the window, handles etc.. and it also gives me time to check in and around the seats. They typically let me board even before the regular medical preboards, I have boarded with the flight crew so I wouldn't hold anything up. But you do have to ask and tell them what you are doing. I have never had a problem and we fly to Disney 3 times a year on SW. So if you like SW you might want to try that.

OMG. Thank you so much for posting that. My son has a severe peanut allergy and told that to SW. They never told me I was allowed to preboard with him. And we've flown only SW since 2002! Do you notify SW when you book your flight listing a medical condition or do you do it when you arrive at the airport? And if so, who do you tell? Thnx in advance.

Ok.. this might sound crazy but this is what we do, and have NEVER had a problem with anyone along the way.

1. Book online, and as soon as it is booked call SW and have the note the reservation
2. 24 hours before when you'd do your boarding pass call SW and remind them that you are flying the next day etc.
3. Tell them at the check in counter

Now.. I have a note from her allergist and children's hospital and I show them that at the counter, SW is the one who told me it will always be a medical preboard and we can go wipe down and clean the area. I get a blue card and many times to not hold up boarding they let me go with the flight crew to clean. Always have made an annoucement. By calling 24 hrs. before they are sure to have non peanut snacks on board. And on all my flights they have told the passengers if you brought something with peanuts please don't open it and we'll give you an extra snack to keep all our passengers safe.

Like I said I do this to MCO at least 3 times a year.

First, thanks for responding so quickly. I will definitely call SW today to let them note that on the reservation, and follow your lead with the other two tips. We're flying first flight out to MCO so I don't think I need to preboard. What do you think? Do you still clean the seat if you're flying on the first flight out? We leave RI at 6:30 a.m.

But flying out of MCO we have the next to last flight home.

On previous flights the attendant has told guests someone with a severe peanut allergy is on board and asked to refrain from eating them. However, they still do. Unless you or a loved one has a food allergy, you don't know how severe and life-threatening food allergies are. They think they'll just sneeze or be uncomforable. For for people like my son and your daughter, it's deadly.

Ok.. for me I ALWAYS preboard and we leave BWI on the 6:05am flight, and wipe the seats and the wall of the plane down and check the floor and cracks between the seats. I actually do this for two rows. I have two DDs only one is allergic, but if we touch peanuts and then touch her she has a reaction.

Ok.. the other thing we do, because she is so bad, and this is prescribed by her Dr. not something I came up with so talk to your allergist first. But 2 hrs before the flight we give her Zyrtec, then we do a breathing treatment with Albuterol at the airport for the asthma that she has and the allergy makes that worse also. Then 30 minutes before we board the plane we give her a benadryl childrens strip. So she has a double blocker plus the albuterol opens her lungs good. But then on the RAST test her allergy severity is 100% of 100%, she will die. So we are overly careful.

Diane,

I definitely will talk to my allergist about those precautions. My son has asthma as well so it's a double whammy when exposed to an allergen. And like your daughter, he cannot touch it either. Digesting it will kill him. For everyone who reads this who have children without food allergies, thank God!

Just got off the phone with SW. Told me I cannot preboard to wipe the seats. She did tell me to get a 970 form when we check in, which is to be filled out and handed to the agent at the gate. She wasn't very helpful and wouldn't add the info on my reservation.:confused:

I'm sure if I call tomorrow, I'll get a different answer.

Thanks again for all your help.

Brenda

Yeah.. she has no clue and I find that when I've called. Just call again, they will note the reservation and then give them the dr. note at the airport and tell them you would like to wipe down the seat. I've NEVER had them tell me no. I have had them tell me no to the preboard to wipe the seat down on the phone but never no once I got to the airport. So as for the phone just have them note the reservation.

I'll do that. Thanks again for your help. I see you're traveling in April. Have a safe and fun trip.:)

Hey no problem. Good luck! And if you have any questions PM me. I'll be glad to help, we do a lot with our dd and we are use to traveling with food allergies

Do you still clean the seat if you're flying on the first flight out? We leave RI at 6:30 a.m.
We don't have anyone with a peanut allergy and also have never flown SW, but we fly with someone using a wheelchair and have preboarded while they were still cleaning and also have still been in the plane waiting for DD's wheelchair while they were cleaning. I can say all the cleanings we have seen were more trash removal than anything else. So, I would not count on the seats being clean for your needs.
On previous flights the attendant has told guests someone with a severe peanut allergy is on board and asked to refrain from eating them. However, they still do. Unless you or a loved one has a food allergy, you don't know how severe and life-threatening food allergies are. They think they'll just sneeze or be uncomforable. For for people like my son and your daughter, it's deadly.
You would love my MIL. The first time she was on a flight where they made that announcement, she was still worried 2 days later that she might have inadvertantly eaten something that could cause a problem.

You would love my MIL. The first time she was on a flight where they made that announcement, she was still worried 2 days later that she might have inadvertantly eaten something that could cause a problem.

Your MIL sounds sweet. And I know there are a lot of understanding people out there who, even with no allergies, have compassion. But then there are those who grumble and get angry because they're not getting their FREE 1 ounce airline packaged peanuts.:rotfl2:

Your MIL sounds sweet. And I know there are a lot of understanding people out there who, even with no allergies, have compassion. But then there are those who grumble and get angry because they're not getting their FREE 1 ounce airline packaged peanuts.:rotfl2:

Even SW is prepared for no peanuts :P All the times my family has flown SW (myself being the one allergic to peanuts and having athsma) they've served little airplane-shaped crackers instead. They're made by Ritz and contain no peanuts so I usually eat them if I really need a quick snack on the flight (its only 2 hours from where we live).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter