ABD Backstage Magic 2/20 - 2/25/11 *** Close to Selling Out***

Hi Gang,

I just watched the DVD version of Disney's "Waking Sleeping Beauty". It's an excellent documentary. If you have seen it, you know that the opening scenes include a home movie of the studios made by animator Randy Cartwright. Well, if you watch the DVD Bonus Features, you'll be able to view his three home movies he filmed at the studio. The first and last are exactly 10 years apart to the day. You get to see a lot of behind-the-scenes shots of the studios, perhaps some of the corridors we'll walk down! You also get to see a skinny John Lassiter and a lengthier glimpse of Tim Burton at his animator's desk.

For those of you who were on PCC 2.0, there's a long clip in the Bonus Features of a young Jodi Benson recording "Part of Your World".

See ya real soon!

Michael

Hi Gang,

I just watched the DVD version of Disney's "Waking Sleeping Beauty". It's an excellent documentary. If you have seen it, you know that the opening scenes include a home movie of the studios made by animator Randy Cartwright. Well, if you watch the DVD Bonus Features, you'll be able to view his three home movies he filmed at the studio. The first and last are exactly 10 years apart to the day. You get to see a lot of behind-the-scenes shots of the studios, perhaps some of the corridors we'll walk down! You also get to see a skinny John Lassiter and a lengthier glimpse of Tim Burton at his animator's desk.

For those of you who were on PCC 2.0, there's a long clip in the Bonus Features of a young Jodi Benson recording "Part of Your World".

See ya real soon!

Michael

I have to order this DVD! They don't have it on bluray, correct?

Sorry I missed the chat (I don't get home till after 8 most days with my work commute). We are starting to get excited and that package came just in time for us to start focusing on the details for this trip. We arrive late Sat. (got a great rate of 279 for airfare direct from Newark) so we are just hunting down hotels near the airport for the night and will use that evening to acclimate to the time zone.

I'm wondering how many collapsible duffles I should be packing to accomodate our potential treasures from Mickey's in Glendale. Does anyone know what kind of merchandise to expect there? I'm thinking shirts, pins, bags...but I heard artwork...ugh this is going to be sooo credit card unfriendly...

I'm wondering how many collapsible duffles I should be packing to accomodate our potential treasures from Mickey's in Glendale. Does anyone know what kind of merchandise to expect there? I'm thinking shirts, pins, bags...but I heard artwork...ugh this is going to be sooo credit card unfriendly...

MOG is an average size store which has most of the "gift shop basics", pins, mugs, glassware, shirts of all styles. Some watches although we did not have time to look at them.

They also had some various pieces of art work and sculpture, but as I remember, not a lot. I think the inventory varies over time.

I told this story on chat last week, I bought a leather WED varsity style jacket that barely fit into a FEDEX shipping sleeve to send home, saving me luggage space for other items.

If the tour schedule stays the same, we will visit MOG during the day that we transfer to the Grand Californian, which has a business center that could assist (I am sure at a fee) in shipping large items home. So then your only concern would be to carry a large purchase to and from the bus.

Hope this helps.

I have to order this DVD! They don't have it on bluray, correct?

I have not seen "Waking Sleeping Beauty" offered on bluray. I suspect it's only on DVD because this is a film that will appeal to a select segment of Disney fans who are interested in Disney history and the inner workings of the studio unlike an animated feature that has a wider audience.

Michael

I just wanted to wish Pete, Walter, Kevin and John a bon voyage as they sail on the Disney Dream tomorrow. I hope you have a great time.

I have not seen "Waking Sleeping Beauty" offered on bluray. I suspect it's only on DVD because this is a film that will appeal to a select segment of Disney fans who are interested in Disney history and the inner workings of the studio unlike an animated feature that has a wider audience.

Michael

Makes sense...I'll just buy it on DVD then...

MOG is an average size store which has most of the "gift shop basics", pins, mugs, glassware, shirts of all styles. Some watches although we did not have time to look at them.

They also had some various pieces of art work and sculpture, but as I remember, not a lot. I think the inventory varies over time.

I told this story on chat last week, I bought a leather WED varsity style jacket that barely fit into a FEDEX shipping sleeve to send home, saving me luggage space for other items.

If the tour schedule stays the same, we will visit MOG during the day that we transfer to the Grand Californian, which has a business center that could assist (I am sure at a fee) in shipping large items home. So then your only concern would be to carry a large purchase to and from the bus.

Hope this helps.

Any info is greatly appreciated so thank you :thumbsup2 I'm not sure we'll ship items home. We get our first checked bag free thanks to our Continental card so we don't mind paying for additional bags (had to do that on our trip home from Hawaii thanks to DH's love of Kona coffee). To me the fee for an additional bag equals that of mailing it home, so I never shipped before...We have a few days booked at the Grand Californian DVC after the tour so I'm not adverse to doing a load of laundry one night :laundy: to help keep our suitcases light and ready for merchandise :goodvibes

I'll need it because I want to hit up the Disneyland Character Premier Store too. If it's anything like the stores in Orlando, that's where I'll really get in trouble ;)

My wife and I are also staying at the Grand Californian DVC after the ABD trip. It sounds like you and I have the same interest in Disney collectibles. I think you'll really like the Disney Gallery in Disneyland and Off the Page in Disney California Adventure. Those are my two favorite shops in the resort.

As I've said on the ABD thread, I'm bringing a steamer trunk for my treasures from Mickey's of Glendale.

UGH! So FINALLY remembered to call Universal about the VIP tour today and it is SOLD OUT! :headache: So bummed but my own fault. They said I could check back for cancellations but guessing the chances of that are slim. Sorry won't be able to join all who are going! :sad1:

I made a reservation for 10 ppl @ 7pm Monday 2/21 (our free night in LA) at the Tam O'Shanter restaurant. If you don't know what I'm talking about, see this post: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39455239&postcount=384

Anyways, we have Walt's table for 4 ppl + another table of 6 ppl. We can get more, if needed...they said they shouldn't be too busy that night (but you never know.)

List of Attendees (let me know if I forgot you):
1.) Me - the one and only
2 & 3.) Carol & Michael B.
4 & 5.) Amy & Jimmy L.
6.) Suzette
7.) Michael L.
8.) John (JJ)
9.) Heather W.
10.) TBD...maybe Nancy J. (of J. Nancy, "Just Nancy")

Obvisouly, the more the merrier...I am happy to reserve more tables. I just wanted to let everyone know that we are a "go".

Thank you, Lindsay! I am really looking forward to this! Imagine sitting in the same booth as Walt Disney! Maybe his chewing gum is still under the table!

Thank you Lindsay. Appreciate you thinking of this and taking care of the details. Looking forward to it.

Hi folks....

Posting from onboard the Disney Dream.

Just got some late info about our Adventure.....

Jimmy Kimmel has just announced that they will not be recording the show during Presidents Week this year. No explanation...just the announcement.

As the tour of JK studio is out.....ABD has decided to replace that with lunch at the Tam O'Shanter restaurant.

I know you have made plans to go there, so I thought this info was important enough to fight with DCL Internet.

Will have more info when we get back on Wednesday.

Thanks for the information, Kevin. I hope you're having a fabulous cruise.

Hmmm, I wonder if ABD was monitoring this thread. I hope they'll reserve Walt's booth for us!

Thanks, Kevin, for thinking of us while you're enjoying the Dream! Living the Dream. Dream on.....I could go on and on!

Since JKL taping is not an option for the first full day of our tour, I looked into El Capitan's schedule and advance ticket options.

If you are interested, you can prepurchase tickets for shows during the periord of time when we are in town.

EL Capitan is directly accross the street from our hotel.

Spoiler for the movie scheduled to be shown:

Gnomeo and Juliet in 3D

Google El Capitan and you can get all the details, we decide to go to the 9:30 show on Monday 2/21, VIP first row balcony was $27 a seat, includes soft drink and popcorn.

Carol brought up the possbility of going to the El Capitan. It's really an experience. When we've gone, the organist usually plays Disney tunes for a while. I think I read somewhere that the organ is from the old Fox Theatre in San Francisco which I remember from my childhood. There is usually some sort of a little pre-show presentation themed to the film. Sometimes there's a display related to the film in the lobby or in the basement. And there's usually a special ice cream sundae for the film next door in Mickey's Ice Cream Parlour.

So excited, called Universal today and was able to book a VIP tour after all...just not the one that Frank and Cathy are on...we leave at 10:30. Maybe will cross paths at some point!

Two things (or 5):

1.) I'm glad that everyone will have an opportunity to go to the Tam. Even though that really isn't a "backstage" or "exclusive" experience, it does tie in with the Disney focus of our trip. I am going to take it as a complement that I was one step ahead of ABD on this one.

2.) I want to dine at Walt's Table, so I am keeping my reservation for that night. See post http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39637738&postcount=429

3.) If anyone else still wants to go for dinner, please let me know. The table sits 4 ppl. I have a reservation for 10 ppl (6 at another table) right now.

4.) I may considering trying to move the reservation from 7pm to 6 or 6:30, if those still going don't object. I am tempted to try & make the 9:30pm show at El Capitan.

5.) I would recommend the El Capitan to anyone thinking about it. I love it!$27 for VIP seats beats standing in a hour long line for general admission seating. Seriously, the line was around the block. FYI - they only carry Pepsi products for the drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter