A Pink Pixie Princess...FINALLY! A 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend Trip Report!

That breakfast looks AMAZING~! I can't wait to read more.

That race haul seems kind of small though. I expect more swag from you.

Such a HUGE accomplishment! I'm so sad it's over but so happy to read along! wah! I must have been anticipating this report because last night I had a dream that a college friend, you and I were at marathon weekend! Lol! I hope that's not too creepy! We had a huge 'ohana meal the night before, I forgot all my gear...pretty much a nightmare! Lol!
Ha, that's hilarious! I wish I was at Marathon Weekend! :rotfl2:

I have totally had dreams like that where I forgot race stuff (mostly it's my shoes) - not fun!!
I'm hoping to grab a coast to coast medal 2018 as I'll be running the marathon and @MommaoffherRocker asked me to join her at pretty much any Disneyland race! Yay!
Yay, that sounds like fun! You need a C2C medal, they are so awesome!
Yay!! I love your trip reports!! I have never been to Disneyland, so I am extra excited to read all about it!
Yay, thanks for reading!
I'm following along too! I was sad that I didn't make it out there this year so I'm going to live vicariously through your TR :)
Yep, I remember meeting you and your husband last year in Starbucks! Hope you can get back next year! :)
I love your trip reports! Following along! :yay:
Thanks! :wave:
Following too. I gotta start turning my notes into my own report soon before I forget things!!!

Ps big thumbs up from me on the John Wayne to hotel ease as well!
Good for you for taking notes...I always mean to and never do - and here I am frantically trying to remember everything!

And yes, I am officially a John Wayne convert! ::yes::
Your trip reports are always great! Looking forward to following!
Thanks! :wave:
Yay! Trip report time!! I'm so happy we got to spend some time with you on this trip and play yo-yo with you during the 10K. :D
And even during the half! :yay:
That PB coated oatmeal looks amazing!! I can't believe you got that in the airport?!
AHHHH it was. I am trying to re-create it this morning, I'm sure it won't taste as good though. And yes, in an airport! Thumbs-up, Denver!
Seriously, go to admit, they are not my style at all, and DO NOT match the colour scheme of the medal ribbons/advertising in the slightest. Obvious mis-communication between departments there. They could have been so beautiful, and feminine, and spring-like. Right?
NOPE. I was so excited for the shirts based on the medal ribbons...sigh.
Trip report time! Yay!
:yay:
I gotta say ... I'm with you on those shirts. They make no sense to me. The 5K and Half are fine, but the 10K and Pixie Dust ... I feel like they must have gotten some sort of discount for picking unpopular colors or something. I can't see any other reason for raspberry and radioactive yellow.
But yay for two C2C bracelets!
That is EXACTLY what I thought - like they got a deal on the bargain bin crap that no one else wanted! :rotfl2:
Yay yay yay for a trip report! I've heard so many great things about flying into John Wayne instead of LAX. I just hope you didn't get in any of those Santa Ana winds- who knows how your weekend would've turned out! :rotfl2:
:worship: You are my hero for picking up on that! I was singing that song as I was waiting at baggage claim!
I understand about wanting to say on-site when doing a solo rD trip. That's what I've thought I would do with the early dark hours you're walking around!
And yeah those shirt colors really are random! I'm sorry you ended up with some you didn't love.
Yeah, I'm glad I did it. For the familiarity, plus - I do love Paradise Pier!
Can't wait to read more!
:yay:
Yay, I love your trip reports! Can't wait to read.
yay, glad you're here!
Love your race reports! Excited to read along:D
Yay, thanks! :)
That breakfast looks AMAZING~! I can't wait to read more.

That race haul seems kind of small though. I expect more swag from you.
It was! I want it NOW!!

And don't worry, I went back to the expo later! ;)

So Cal Afternoon

Okay, bibs, wristbands and uggo shirts acquired...time for another Disneyland first - renting a car and venturing off of Disney property! A couple of my favorite retailers are located close to Disneyland, and since I was RIGHT THERE, I felt like I had to pay a quick visit! I wasn’t sure how best to go about this - Uber? Lyft? Taxi? - until I read a trip report where someone rented a car for one day from the Downtown Disney Alamo for pretty cheap. I looked into this, and it turned out that renting a car for a few hours would only cost me $25. Sold!

Picking up the car was super, super easy (barely any upselling pressure from the employee). I’d reserved a compact car from 11:30-6, which I figured was more time than I needed. I got my car from the adjacent lot (some sort of Nissan), punched my first destination into my phone GPS and was off! I did take some kind of wrong turn, but overall it was not too bad to drive around.

First destination...In-N-Out! Mr. Ariel484 and I meant to stop at In-N-Out a couple of years ago while in California, but the timing didn’t work out. Today was the day!

This was not the closest one to Disney, but it made sense with the other stops I wanted to make in Santa Ana. This location ended up being mostly a drive-through with a small walk-up counter...this is the drive-through line.
34553029942_7731807480_z.jpg

They had an employee going up to the cars to put in orders on an iPad...when I told him this was my first time at In-N-Out, he helped me order and told me to make sure to ask for a hat!

I got through the line, paid, and got my order (and hat!). There were picnic tables at the back of the parking lot, so I grabbed one and dug in!
34714716595_ea2f041629_z.jpg

Normally I am a somewhat-picky eater, but I figured if I was going to try In-N-Out, I should probably *really* try it and not make many changes to the burger. My order was a cheeseburger with American cheese, grilled onions, lettuce and their sauce (which was described to me as similar to 1000 Island dressing) - I did ask them to hold the tomato, because BLECH. Normally I would have gotten just a plain cheeseburger. I did make a change to the fries - I asked for them to be well-done since I’d read that they can be soggy. This was a good call - they were nice and crispy!

So fries + burger + Coke came out to $6.41. Not bad! And for fast food it was VERY good. Definitely worth an Uber to get there from Disneyland.

And, I mean...free hat.
34583927811_9afe9f4544_z.jpg

Next stop on my So Cal tour was Harveys! The only thing I love more than running clothes, coffee and Disney are purses - Harveys makes purses out of seat belts. Even better, they make DISNEY purses! I had to visit.

34714712515_4e6594e628_z.jpg

EEEK. I had a return to make and I also dropped off a wallet to get cleaned (they will mail it back to me). And while I was there, I bought a Belle-inspired bag (picture to come)!

34583927841_71df55f1cd_z.jpg

After Harveys, it was off to INKnBURN - my favorite athletic apparel company. I was hoping some of my orders would be ready (specifically this and this), but they weren’t. Oh well! I got a quick tour and chatted with one of the employees.

34714711445_6dbaea2ab8_z.jpg

My last stop was Target. I wanted to get a case of bottled water to keep in the room, and I’d also forgotten my toothbrush (I thought I had - I found it later in my luggage. Oh well!). I got a couple of other small things but can’t remember what they were.

And that was it! I filled the gas tank up at a station near Disneyland (a whopping $3), headed back to Paradise Pier to drop the water at Bell Services and returned the car by 3:30. Solid So Cal afternoon!

Paradise Pier

I headed back to the expo to check out the vendors. If you ever see a picture from me at a weird angle like this, it’s probably because I was trying to cut people out of said picture! :)

34583924031_f94bd2cfd8_z.jpg

I ended up buying a new SPIbelt with toggles to hold my race bibs and a couple of things from the official merchandise area. I also stopped by the runDisney Travel booth - I’d booked my room through them to get a small discount and had been told to stop by for a free gift. I like free things! ::yes:: My last stop was the runDisney booth to ask about PhotoPass - the runDisney employee and I had a nice chat about the new Guardians ride (I’m SUPER meh on that, but he was excited), changes to Disneyland’s Fantasmic, etc.

During this time, I’d gotten a text that my room was ready, so I headed back to unpack.

34583927191_3ed51b95fb_z.jpg

Room 344. A corner room overlooking Disneyland Drive (which would be an issue later in the trip, and, I later found out, was a very deliberate room assignment).

33905349613_7858c6d050_z.jpg

These Paradise Pier rooms are nice and big!

34583923461_f7b8df33c5_z.jpg

View...if I’d moved my camera to the right, California Adventure would have been peeking over the Grand Californian!

34583923951_dacfd5c43d_z.jpg

I got to work unpacking EVERYTHING. Ahhh, to be settled! :cloud9:

And inspected my goodies so far...ugly shirts. I hate the challenge one, the half one is fine and the 10K grew on me over the course of the trip (though, again, random color). I didn’t like that the 5K shirt was white, or unisex cut - WOMEN’S CUT SHIRTS FOR THE 5K, RUNDISNEY...ANY TIME NOW!!! :sad2:

34583922351_b8b37cb2b0_z.jpg

Cinch bag for half marathon runners (which are only given out at Tink and Princess weekends...why the other ones don’t get them, I have no idea):

34714707085_7e96db8cb2_z.jpg

Merch - I Did It shirts for the half (ended up returning this one later, more on that in an upcoming post) and the challenge, along with Sweaty Bands:

34553024462_345f76acd0_z.jpg

And a wine glass. I got a 10% discount on this stuff with my Disney Visa.

Cameo appearance from the Monster Pup:

34734434225_2cef47a440_z.jpg

33892045254_78df9e99a7_z.jpg

And the free stuff from runDisney Travel - a lanyard, Tink Weekend logo pin and a luggage tag. I need to fix Minnie’s eye! :eek:

34553025362_1505ffd01a_z.jpg

My last task before heading to a park (!!) was to get my 5K stuff in order. The weather for all of the races was looking perfect - no rain and temperatures in about the mid-50s. :yay: Woohoo!
33872533854_efe027df66_z.jpg

Up next - to a park!

Last edited:

Awesome So Cal day. Love that In-n-Out hat. Very fetching.

Bummer the InB items weren't ready though. And, yay on going to Harvey's. Can't wait to see what you got. The room seems really nice, but I'm worried about your foreshadowing about the deliberate room assignment. Hmmm...

And, :wave2: Archie!!

What a great day! That car rental deal was amazing- I'm so glad you go to visit those places! Your In&Out looks good- I think I had it one time in Texas on a college trip, but I would love to try it again.

The only thing I love more than running clothes, coffee and Disney are purses
I did not know that your love for purses was stronger than these things! Do you have a favorite brand? (Harvey's?) Or a "ultimate purse goal?" (Mine is a LV, but that will probably never happen haha)

Cinch bag for half marathon runners (which are only given out at Tink and Princess weekends...why the other ones don’t get them, I have no idea
I really liked that Princess gave them out after the half- so convenient to carry everything, including my multiple bottles of beverages. :) It would be really nice if rD did this after every race.

Yay, trip report! I'm thinking I'm going to put mine today in an actual TR like you did instead of inside my journal.

Ok, I don't want to spoiler anything you have coming but I think I know exactly why you took back your half I did it shirt, because it's why I had one on my hand and then put it back before buying. I'll wait to see if I was right.

Archie is like "what are you doing?" and then he's like "eh, I don't care" At least that's how I read his cute little face in the pics.

You're view from your hotel is quite lovely...so I am sorry something didn't go right (I already know...but again...will not spoil)

Thoughts on shirts...I think as a group they are weird together...not cohesive. When I was in the park seeing the shirts by themselves though they looked better. Like seeing the 10k shirt on someone in their jean shorts or whatever, it looked pretty good. And the half shirt actually worked better than I thought it would once I paired it with clothes I had brought. I still don't like the challenge shirt at all though...why is Tink Navy Blue and White and roadkill????
They shoulda made the 5k tech material and striped blue and white like Smee. The 10k shoulda been pan green or a lighter blue. The challenge should have been more like the I Did It's color scheme. Done!

Mmmm I do love me some In N Out. You may not like this because you're a picky eater, but every time I ask for my cheeseburger to be "animal style" (just extra dressing, onions, and pickles). My hubby asks for animal style fries (fries topped with cheese, spread, and onions), but that's going a bit far even for me ;)

That's pretty cool that it's so cheap and easy to rent a car from DTD. It sounds like you had a really nice afternoon! And I'm looking forward to seeing your Harvey's purchase too!

In-n-Out looks good! I've been to So-Cal twice and yet I've never stopped there somehow. It's sad InB didn't have your clothes in stock. At least you got to look around. I love your expo purchases. I'm not really sure how I feel about the shirts that were given out for the races. The 10k color combo is odd but I like The Lost Boys. I feel like the PDC stop coloring is just off. I guess asking for a nice PDC AND a nice PDC medal is too much.

First destination...In-N-Out!

I'm following along, too, although I'll admit that I almost stopped reading when you got to In-N-Out because that makes me SO HOMESICK for the west coast. Cheeseburger, spread only, animal style, with well-done fries? YES PLEASE.

One of the light green thick headbands they were selling. I've been calling lost and found every day to see if they have it but no luck. I'm weirdly wicked upset about it.

I'm following along, too, although I'll admit that I almost stopped reading when you got to In-N-Out because that makes me SO HOMESICK for the west coast. Cheeseburger, spread only, animal style, with well-done fries? YES PLEASE.

My sister lives in Austin and last time I flew in super late at night and she insisted we get Neopolitan shakes and animal fries. While the fries I could only eat a little of (just sooooo rich)...I still think about that shake.

I still think about that shake.

Mmm, their strawberry shakes are delicious. Regarding the fries, my west coast friends will think this is blasphemy, but I never loved them. I liked them better when I found out I could get them well done. But, if I had to choose... I'd pick Five Guys fries (*ducks*).

First In-N-Out visit ... I feel like that's a California right of passage. And I love the hat!

Excellent stops on your shopping expedition ... very SoCal of you.

I forgot to ask you about how the toggles worked out! I'm guessing we'll get to that when we get to the races, so I'll wait until then to find out, but ... I'm interested to see if you had better luck with the toggles than I did.
Now that runDisney has moved to metal medals for the 5K, I'm surprised that they haven't moved to tech shirts & women's cuts. I'm guessing its because they already have to do kids and adult sizes, so they don't want to start adding in another style, but ... that's something I would like to see them do. I basically only wear by 5K shirts when cleaning.

I like that you got free stuff from runDisney travel, but ... why are they giving you a 60th luggage tag? The 60th is long over.

Awesome So Cal day. Love that In-n-Out hat. Very fetching.
Oh yes, quite fetching. I should have worn it around the parks! :rotfl2:
Bummer the InB items weren't ready though. And, yay on going to Harvey's. Can't wait to see what you got. The room seems really nice, but I'm worried about your foreshadowing about the deliberate room assignment. Hmmm...
Yeah, I was hoping they'd be ready - I would have worn that outfit for the half! Oh well.
And, :wave2: Archie!!
I will pass your "hello" along to Archie. ::yes::
Ohhhh, an @Ariel484 TR! Loving it so far!
Yay, thanks! :)
What a great day! That car rental deal was amazing- I'm so glad you go to visit those places! Your In&Out looks good- I think I had it one time in Texas on a college trip, but I would love to try it again.
Yeah, I was surprised! It was for a compact car for 6 hours.
I did not know that your love for purses was stronger than these things! Do you have a favorite brand? (Harvey's?) Or a "ultimate purse goal?" (Mine is a LV, but that will probably never happen haha)
:scratchin I guess my love for all of those things is equal! My favorite brand right now is Harveys. :) I went through a period where I wanted a LV (MM Neverfull...Damier exterior with red interior, but not that I seriously looked or anything...:upsidedow) but I think I'm actually at a point where I'm pretty happy with what I have. you know, for now. :)
I really liked that Princess gave them out after the half- so convenient to carry everything, including my multiple bottles of beverages. :) It would be really nice if rD did this after every race.
Yeah, I was surprised to see them in the gear bag! It was so nice to have them handed to us at the finish line at Princess. :confused3 And I agree, they should do them for every race!
Oh how I could go for in-n-out right now!!!
What a fun adventure and productive day!
The room is adorable!
Um, me too!! I would love that exact same order right now!!
Yay, trip report! I'm thinking I'm going to put mine today in an actual TR like you did instead of inside my journal.
WOOHOO welcome to the Dark Side! :darth:
Ok, I don't want to spoiler anything you have coming but I think I know exactly why you took back your half I did it shirt, because it's why I had one on my hand and then put it back before buying. I'll wait to see if I was right.
I would say partially because it looked very similar to the race shirt and partially because I wanted to stick it to runDisney a little bit....because they made me mad!!
Archie is like "what are you doing?" and then he's like "eh, I don't care" At least that's how I read his cute little face in the pics.
That's pretty much what happened!! :rotfl2:
You're view from your hotel is quite lovely...so I am sorry something didn't go right (I already know...but again...will not spoil)
Me too!! It was mostly good though...
Thoughts on shirts...I think as a group they are weird together...not cohesive. When I was in the park seeing the shirts by themselves though they looked better. Like seeing the 10k shirt on someone in their jean shorts or whatever, it looked pretty good.
YES, I totally agree with this! Normally the shirts sort of coordinate with the bibs and medal ribbons, and with each other - this set of shirts was so weird!
And the half shirt actually worked better than I thought it would once I paired it with clothes I had brought. I still don't like the challenge shirt at all though...why is Tink Navy Blue and White and roadkill????
Seriously, after someone points out that Tink looks dead on the challenge shirt, I can't unsee that! :faint:
They shoulda made the 5k tech material and striped blue and white like Smee. The 10k shoulda been pan green or a lighter blue. The challenge should have been more like the I Did It's color scheme. Done!
Can you just take over the runDisney shirt design department (that's totally a thing, right?)...because these are awesome ideas. ::yes::
Mmmm I do love me some In N Out. You may not like this because you're a picky eater, but every time I ask for my cheeseburger to be "animal style" (just extra dressing, onions, and pickles). My hubby asks for animal style fries (fries topped with cheese, spread, and onions), but that's going a bit far even for me ;)
Gah, the guy who took my order tried to get me to upgrade my fries to "animal style." NOPE NOPE NOPE
That's pretty cool that it's so cheap and easy to rent a car from DTD. It sounds like you had a really nice afternoon! And I'm looking forward to seeing your Harvey's purchase too!
It was pretty easy! I am a fan!
In-n-Out looks good! I've been to So-Cal twice and yet I've never stopped there somehow. It's sad InB didn't have your clothes in stock. At least you got to look around. I love your expo purchases. I'm not really sure how I feel about the shirts that were given out for the races. The 10k color combo is odd but I like The Lost Boys. I feel like the PDC stop coloring is just off. I guess asking for a nice PDC AND a nice PDC medal is too much.
It was good, definitely worth a stop if you're already driving around!

If I had to choose between the nicer PDC medal or the nicer shirt, the medal wins out. I really like that medal a lot.
Oh no!! I'm glad you decided to stick around! :rotfl2:
I love the RD wine glasses!! That one is especially nice too, although clearly the puppy doesn't appreciate it!!
Me too! We were getting to the point where we needed new wine glasses since some of ours broke - now I have 4 rD ones! :yay:
First In-N-Out visit ... I feel like that's a California right of passage. And I love the hat!
Yes, I think I've found my new look. ::yes::
Excellent stops on your shopping expedition ... very SoCal of you.
I probably should have gone to a beach to surf to REALLY So Cal it up. :scratchin
I forgot to ask you about how the toggles worked out! I'm guessing we'll get to that when we get to the races, so I'll wait until then to find out, but ... I'm interested to see if you had better luck with the toggles than I did.
Toggles were good! But I didn't adjust my SPIbelt well enough and the belt itself was scooting around on me. :confused3
Now that runDisney has moved to metal medals for the 5K, I'm surprised that they haven't moved to tech shirts & women's cuts. I'm guessing its because they already have to do kids and adult sizes, so they don't want to start adding in another style, but ... that's something I would like to see them do. I basically only wear by 5K shirts when cleaning.
I never wear them - unisex-cut shirts just do not fit me well. It's a point I plan on addressing in the very, very long email I am sending them regarding my thoughts on Tink weekend...::yes::
I like that you got free stuff from runDisney travel, but ... why are they giving you a 60th luggage tag? The 60th is long over.
Ha! That's a good point. :rotfl2: The 60th is over and Minnie's eye isn't colored in. Beggers can't be choosers?? :rotfl:

Here to follow along!

Jealous of in and out. Went last July and wasn't super hungry. Wish I had gone on this trip but it was not meant to be!

Excellent choice on eating at In-n-out! I agree about the colors of the shirts seeming completely random! Are the designs or graphics smaller than what other runDisney race shirts normally are?

Sounds like a decent start to the trip. That challenge shirt is very ugly. I don't blame you for not liking it! White is also a bad choice for a race shirt!

Glad you got your In&Out finally! Del Taco is my Southern California love even knowing how bad it is for me!

You got better a better pin/lanyard for Tink Weekend. Glad yours was themed! Ours for Star Wars was a generic Disneyland one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter