A hospital now wants new parents….

Plenty of standardized forms with irrelevant questions on them. For example, you have to fill in the "occupation" blank on a child's passport (enter "child" if they are under 16). Our 6 month old's passport also has a "height" that is already incorrect. :lmao:

Removing the newborn portion, why is anyone's sexual orientation relevant to medical treatment? I don't see a reason for that question to be on the form.
Probably statistics of some kind. Everyone is free to either leave blank or answer with "I prefer to not respond" or something similar.

Removing the newborn portion, why is anyone's sexual orientation relevant to medical treatment? I don't see a reason for that question to be on the form.
1. Some populations are more likely to have certain illnesses.
2. Some people want their doctors to know these sorts of things in order to avoid awkward questions later.
3. The state has an interest in gathering statistics like this for various reasons.

It's nothing nefarious and it's pretty much always optional.

The idiocracy of a small portion of the overall population is increasingly bordering on the ridiculous. How does a small group of misguided people have so much political clout to force these self serving policies on everyone.
This is exactly why threads and conversations like this are problematic. Now you and others believe there is some small group of people "pushing their agenda" by pressuring parents of infants in NJ to choose their sexual orientation (because that is what the first post claimed). When the reality (which OP clarified in later posts) is that they are really just using the same generic form for adults and babies and that you are free to skip any questions that don't pertain to you.

Plenty of standardized forms with irrelevant questions on them. For example, you have to fill in the "occupation" blank on a child's passport (enter "child" if they are under 16). Our 6 month old's passport also has a "height" that is already incorrect. :lmao:
Yup. I have filled out plenty of forms at doctors offices and other places when my kids were infants that asked for their occupation, marital status, last menstrual period, etc. Those irrelevant questions are probably also asked on the newborn forms for this particular hospital, but for some reason (completely non-political I'm sure :rolleyes2 ) only the gender/sexuality questions were worth being concerned about.

1. Some populations are more likely to have certain illnesses.
2. Some people want their doctors to know these sorts of things in order to avoid awkward questions later.
3. The state has an interest in gathering statistics like this for various reasons.

It's nothing nefarious and it's pretty much always optional.
Just curious. What illnesses are based on sexual orientation?

Just curious. What illnesses are based on sexual orientation?
HIV and AIDS are still more common among men who have sex with men. M-Pox, too. As another poster said, mental health issues seem to be more prevalent in the LGBT+ community, too. I'm sure that there are others.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that they're just repurposing the same forms they use for adult patients, trying to streamline their paperwork.
It is. The OP stated that it's one form they use for everyone and also that you're not required to complete all questions. So, they are not really asking parents to assign a sexual identity to their infant. It's just and irrelevant question that they can skip.

It is. The OP stated that it's one form they use for everyone and also that you're not required to complete all questions. So, they are not really asking parents to assign a sexual identity to their infant. It's just and irrelevant question that they can skip.
Are they are providing written or verbal instructions that the new parents can skip the sexual identity boxes?
Because just handing the form to a very tired new parent seems to be deliberately confusing.

Are they are providing written or verbal instructions that the new parents can skip the sexual identity boxes?
Because just handing the form to a very tired new parent seems to be deliberately confusing.
I don't know for certain, but I would assume the nurse handing them the stack of forms would give some instructions on how to complete them and clarify any questions the parents may have. I know they did back when I had my babies.

The OP did mention (see below) that the adult completes the exact same form when they are first admitted, so I would guess that most people could logically infer "oh this is the same form they give every patient regardless of age" and think nothing of it.

If it's a form geared toward adults, there are likely quite a few other questions on the form that they would also skip for an infant, so they really shouldn't need specific written instruction regarding that one question. I know that I have completed many forms for my children over the years with loads of irrelevant questions (occupation, marital status, last menstrual period, alcohol consumption, sexual orientation, etc). You either leave them blank or write N/A. It has always seemed to be common sense and nothing "deliberately confusing" about it to me.

When the adult patient is admitted, they are given the form. Once the baby is born, the parents are given the birth certificate paperwork, social security number request form, and this SOGI form specifically for the baby. The information is then entered into the newborn’s electronic chart.

You said that they are purposely giving confusing forms to parents, for what reason I cannot tell. It' not a conspiracy to make babies gay. It's a standardized form.
You are reading a ton into just being clear.
Maybe make sure the parents understand this form is for everyone from 0-100+. Feel free to skip the sections that don't apply to newborns. End of story.

You said that they are purposely giving confusing forms to parents, for what reason I cannot tell. It' not a conspiracy to make babies gay. It's a standardized form.
Who mentioned trying to make babies gay? :rotfl2: I swear, the anti-conspiracy theory crew is just as bad as the conspiracy theory crew.

Wait till that medical group hands me that form again asking about my pregnancy. I'm gonna ask them what they're trying to pull.

Wait till that medical group hands me that form again asking about my pregnancy. I'm gonna ask them what they're trying to pull.
I missed my shot at being offended when that question started at around 12yo :(
I guess I can always yell "are you calling me fat!?" :rotfl:

You are reading a ton into just being clear.
Maybe make sure the parents understand this form is for everyone from 0-100+. Feel free to skip the sections that don't apply to newborns. End of story.
You literally said "seems to be deliberately confusing". What could the hospital possibly want by deliberately confusing parents??

Accusing the hospital of being "deliberately confusing" is not the same as simply hoping the hospital is clear with their instructions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter