A horrible rumor to spread

I think the inside of the ship (the walls, consoles) looks plastic and not very star wars. What the hell is that game you play on the bridge screen? Looks like a cheap 90's video game. The screen used for the cargo bay in rotr looks better. I'm not spending a ton of money to play a video game in a hotel. I can do that at home. The details in rotr are amazing and they haven't skimped on detail.
There are several scenes in Rise of the Resistance that look better than what we've seen in the videos.

They are going for a cruise ship feel. This is what a real bridge looks like:

I was hoping for a "bridge" that had at least the same level of texturing as a real bridge.

The thing is it was a risky play from the beginning. One thing about SW fan's is they are a fickle and difficult to please bunch (and I am one). Just look at the movies. Reactions to the movies were all over the place with a lot of people claiming they ruined Star Wars. Every director who has worked on Star Wars since Ep6 has been flamed from one side or another (or both).

All of that said, I personally am looking forward to it. The only reason I have not booked right now is that it's almost exclusively indoors, and I am not going as long as there is a mask mandate indoors. once we are past some of that, I will gladly shell out some of my hard earned cash for the experience one time.

But that's me. Your mileage will vary from fan to fan.

Last edited:
There are several scenes in Rise of the Resistance that look better than what we've seen in the videos.

They are going for a cruise ship feel. This is what a real bridge looks like:

View attachment 633648

I was hoping for a "bridge" that had at least the same level of texturing as a real bridge.
It certainly doesn't look like that to me.

I think the inside of the ship (the walls, consoles) looks plastic and not very star wars. What the hell is that game you play on the bridge screen? Looks like a cheap 90's video game. The screen used for the cargo bay in rotr looks better. I'm not spending a ton of money to play a video game in a hotel. I can do that at home. The details in rotr are amazing and they haven't skimped on detail.

I don't know, it looks fine to me. I mean, yeah, it's plastic - so is Stormtrooper armor. It's just part of the deal. There are things in ROTR that don't look 100% real, but you have to suspend your disbelief a little.

I hope it's not true, too, but speaking as an original SW fan who saw the first one thirteen times in theaters in 1977, I have zero interest in paying a ton of money to spend two days in a hotel pretending to be in outer space when I know dang well I'm in a building in Florida. And I can't think of any way they could change my mind no matter how fancy the experience is.

The price tag is insane, for that sort of money I could stay at Grand Floridian and go to the parks.

Not sure why they didn't just make it a Star Wars themed hotel and drop all the role playing and such.
Give it a year. It will probably be a Star Wars theme hotel in a short time. I just can’t see spending $5,000-$6,000 at WDW and only get 1 limited day at a park and pray that Rise is working.

I don't know, it looks fine to me. I mean, yeah, it's plastic - so is Stormtrooper armor. It's just part of the deal. There are things in ROTR that don't look 100% real, but you have to suspend your disbelief a little.
For what they are charging it looks like junk. If I'm spending that ridiculous amount of money I want an authentic as possible experience. IMO that Star Trek experience they had in Vegas years ago looked much better.

For what they are charging it looks like junk. If I'm spending that ridiculous amount of money I want an authentic as possible experience. IMO that Star Trek experience they had in Vegas years ago looked much better.

Well, it looks fine to me. I did that Star Trek exeprience a few times and it was great, but it did look like plastic - I mean TNG looked pretty plastic! I can absolutely agree that the price is too high, but that would be the case even it it looked 100 times more relaistic!

See, I don't think it looks "cheap" from what I've seen, but it is limited by actual technology. I think the issue may e that a lot of the hard-core Star Wars fans are not necessarily theme park fans, and they may not understand what to expect. I mean, Rise of the Resistance is AMAZING as a theme park attraction and for the most part looks really good - but it doesn't quite look "real," and if that's the standard, they won't ever meet that.
Galaxy's Edge looks amazing. And some of the effects they pull off in ROTR are not only incredibly cool in scale, they're truly impressive feats of technology that will catch you by surprise.

Nothing I've seen about the Galactic Starcruiser looks like it required an ounce of creativity or imagination. It's completely uninspired.

Last edited:
Galaxy's Edge looks amazing. And some of the effects they pull off are not only incredibly cool in scale, they're truly impressive feats of technology that will catch you by surprise.

Nothing I've seen about the Galactic Starcruiser looks like it required an ounce of creativity or imagination. It's completely uninspired.

This is my feeling as well. Oga's, Savi's, Dok-Ondors, the Droid factory, the market, the Millennium Falcon all look amazing. Based on the videos they've released at least, I don't see that level of detail in the hotel.

Look at this...

VS this

It's quite possible this is just the single worst promo video in the history of major corporations. I hope that the case!

I like this guys analysis.

Galaxy's Edge looks amazing. And some of the effects they pull off in ROTR are not only incredibly cool in scale, they're truly impressive feats of technology that will catch you by surprise.

I believe it's difficult to make such a judgement from a few shots. There are certainly things we have not seen yet that may be inspired or creative. How can you say it isn't when no one has seen it?

Just speaking purely for myself and not others, I think it looks campy.... but then so was Star Wars. If these walls do not look plastic to you, I don't know what else to say...

As far as comparing Galaxy's edge, you have to remember that a lot of galaxy's edge is very controlled. It's easy to make something look cool when you don't have people interacting with it. It's a lot more difficult when you have experiences with those items.

Consider the bridge controls. They have to be designed so a CHILD can operate them. They have to be simple, easy to understand and have limited functionality - that's the only way the "quests" are going to work.

I am still reserving judgement until I see how it all comes together. But keep in mind that Disney never expected to win every Star Wars fan. They would have been crazy. There are a limited number of rooms and availability and they only need a small percentage to keep the system busy enough for many years.

Last edited:
As far as comparing Galaxy's edge, you have to remember that a lot of galaxy's edge is very controlled. It's easy to make something look cool when you don't have people interacting with it. It's a lot more difficult when you have experienced with those items.

Consider the bridge controls. They have to be designed so a CHILD can operate them. They have to be simple, easy to understand and have limited functionality - that's the only way the "quests" are going to work.

I am still reserving judgement until I see how it all comes together. But keep in mind that Disney never expected to win every Star Wars fan. They would have been crazy. There are a limited number of rooms and availability and they only need a small percentage to keep the system busy enough for many years.

I agree. The interactivity is part of why some things are not quite as detailed. I mean, in the Rise of the Resistance queue, there are crates with props in them, but they are molded in and don't seem very "real" when you look at them. Many also have paint rubbing off due to people touching them a lot. Now, the things in the actual ride are pristine and also under special lighting conditions - that's hard to duplicate in a space where people will be moving about.

As I've said, to me it looks fine and looks similar to the concept art, so I don't understand what changed. I've always felt the concept was a little off for me anyway, but the actual look very much meets my expectations. I guess some envisioned something quite different.

Last edited:

One is a star cruiser, the other is a cantina on a remote planet. They should look very different. If a star cruiser were designed to look like it was cobbled together from a variety of different technologies, and was a hairpin from breaking, there is no way I would step foot on it. One would expect a bar on a star cruiser to be polished and simple.

A star cruiser - a cruise ship in space - should resemble a cruise ship. Compare this
vs

if I saw the later on a cruise chip, I would be seriously concerned.

Attachments

• 1640621171511.png
    1640621171511.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 32
I agree. The interactivity is part of why some things are not quite as detailed. I mean, in the Rise of the REsistance queue, there are crates with props in them, but they are molded in and don't seem very "real" when you look at them. Many also have paint rubbing off due to people touching them a lot. Now, the things in the actual ride are pristine and also under special lighting conditions - that's hard to duplicate in a space where people will be moving about.

thank you. That was the point I was trying to make, but was having a difficult time expressing it. A lot of the stuff in Galaxy's Edge is more than just an issue of interactivity. It's controlled atmosphere. A lot of it is not 360 digress. It's forced perspective. It's special lighting. It's a very controlled situation. It's molding plastic, and non interactive.

It's very difficult from making a space where people are walking, touching, exploring, playing, LIVING. If your rooms and walls on the ship were anything other than very pristine, and simple no one would feel the rooms were clean and wouldn't want to stay there.

I agree. The interactivity is part of why some things are not quite as detailed. I mean, in the Rise of the Resistance queue, there are crates with props in them, but they are molded in and don't seem very "real" when you look at them. Many also have paint rubbing off due to people touching them a lot. Now, the things in the actual ride are pristine and also under special lighting conditions - that's hard to duplicate in a space where people will be moving about.

As I've said, to me it looks fine and looks similar to the concept art, so I don't understand what changed. I've always felt the concept was a little off for me anyway, but the actual look very much meets my expectations. I guess some envisioned something quite different.
I think the big disconnect is that many were expecting a realistic and authentic to Star Wars hotel. Instead we got the Disney-fied version. For $5000 for 2' nights most want the latter.

I think Disney is not happy with the feedback from the preview videos. Why else would they take them down as well as have no mention of the Starcruiser during the Christmas parade when it was announced there would bea preview.

I think the big disconnect is that many were expecting a realistic and authentic to Star Wars hotel. Instead we got the Disney-fied version. For $5000 for 2' nights most want the latter.

I think Disney is not happy with the feedback from the preview videos. Why else would they take them down as well as have no mention of the Starcruiser during the Christmas parade when it was announced there would bea preview.

Yeah, but is that even possible? They are limited by the technology and practcal concerns. I mean, the thing is not actually a space ship!

I agree it's not possible and are limited. It still comes down to how over priced it is for what it is. IMO it's going to a gigantic flop.

Okay, that I can agree with. It is certainly overpriced no matter what they deliver.

I am not sure I understand this. People are upset that DISNEY built a DISNEY-fied hotel. I think they need to adjust their expectations. Disney was never going to make anything NOT Disney. I had a friend once tell me he hated his sandwich because it tasted like fish. The thing is IT WAS A FISH SANDWICH. It was never going to be a chicken sandwich. :confused3

DCL is not just a cruise line. It's a Disney-fied cruise line. Adventures by Disney is not a tour. It's a Disney-fied tour. What in your experience would lead you to believe that Disney would ever make anything else?

It's important to remember that it's a family friendly concept that is built to have inactivity for kids. This is not supposed to resemble an adult only fully functional spacecraft. It's a fictional concept built around the star wars universe that includes an interactive component. That's what it was meant to be and frankly that's what they delivered. People may have expected and wanted a fully functional simulated starship, but that was never the concept for this experience.

I'd rather stay here.

Except that is even less an experience then the Halcyon. It drops you in and out of universe and has bits and pieces of concept that completely do not belong. It's star wars themed, but it's not a simulated environment. It has elements that are very jarring. It may be what suits you, but again, it's not what Disney was going for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter