A garden of love

DixieDreamer

<font color=blue>Instant Human - <font color=brown
<bgsound src="http://www.lyonfamilywdw.com/EnyaMidis/caribb.mid"loop="2">

Today (Sunday) my family went to Yakima Washington to spend the day with my DH's 88 year old grandmother. Her health has been failing, and she has made the decision to move from her home to a place where her family can help her in daily chores. It is a sad day for this fine woman. Her family homesteaded the region. She and her husband Paul moved into the home she is leaving - at a time when it was "in the country". Now the acreage sits in the middle of town - an oasis in a largely residential area. Through the years, Lucy tended to her garden. A master at placing starts here or there... effecting a blend of color and height - that are the envy of many who work hard to try and achieve such harmony. She has forgotten more than I will ever know about the gentle art of coaxing life and beauty from simple soil and compost.

What a fitting day to say goodbye to her garden. A spring day - and all the dogwoods were in bloom.

<center>
lucy_1.JPG
</center>

<center>
lucy2.JPG
</center>

All the frothy blue flowers float beautifully above the ground covering of green.

<center>
lucy10.JPG
</center>

Everywhere there are giant bushes of Peonys. Blooms the size of pie plates. So gorgeous to behold.

<center>
lucy6.JPG
</center>

Each bloom a masterpiece in and of itself.

<center>
lucy5.JPG
</center>

Outside her big bay window... is the water feature. You can see it from many vantages in her home. Appropriately enough it has a lion standing guard. A tribute to her married name - Lyon.

<center>
lucy11.JPG
</center>

<center>
lucy12.JPG
</center>

Even the small cottage in the back of the property is covered with a grape arbor and climbing flowers.

<center>
lucy8.JPG
</center>

She would not let me take a picture of her. She instead asked that I capture her garden for her. As it was a gift she would cherish most fondly of all. And so I honored her request and captured many images in my camera. Only a handful I share here with you today. I hope to return them to her soon - to ease her transition to this next phase of her life. We had an opportunity to talk alone - as the others all busied themselves with other interests. And for a moment, I was her... facing the fear of a changed life... and grieving for the loss of something she had labored so long upon. Her garden of love.

I am renewed in my desire to be in the garden. For the time there may be not long enough.

Thanks for sharing this truly bittersweet day, Dbl D. :( A wonderful lady, that Mrs. Lyon, actually two of them I think. :sunny:

What a beautiful garden. I hope that whoever takes over keeps it as beautiful as she has it. Thanks for sharing with us.

What a lovely tribute to your DH's grandmother Dixie. Absolutely gorgeous garden pictures. She is obviously a very talented, very special person, with a keen eye for beauty.

A ((((( HUG )))))) for you my friend.

Kim :)

A beautiful tribute to a woman who knows how to make beauty in her world!

I hope her transition is smooth and her memories serve her well.

Thanks for sharing, Dixie.

Beautiful dixie...for a beautiful person. I hope you "borrowed" a few starts from her garden so it can grow lovingly in your garden as a beautiful memory of what she cherished.

What a lovely garden, DblD. :)

Thank you for giving us a peek into it, and also a glimpse into the lovely sould of your DH's Grandmother. I do wish her well as she moves into another place in her life.

It would seem that she has tended all of her gardens well and that they are all blooming nicely now. :)

What a beautiful garden! And a beautiful, loving tribute, DblD!:sunny: Thanks for sharing with us.

What a beautiful garden and a beautiful tribute

thanks for sharing these!

Simply beautiful Dixie! And what a wonderful tribute to your DH's grandmother. I'm sure she will cherish the pictures you took for her. How very thoughtful of you. Hope you were able to snag a few starts from her gardens. I remember doing this when we moved my grandmother, and I cherished those plants. Thank you for sharing the photos. LisaF

Oh Dixie with much sadness I read your lovely tribute to Lucy. It was simply beautiful, you are a remarkable person.

Thanks for sharing Lucy's labor of love with us. She will be in my thoughts.

That is a beautiful garden, a beautiful tribute and a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing this with us DD.

Oh DixieD! Such a loving tribute! Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful pictures of her wonderful garden. She is truly a special person!

That is a beautiful garden... Thank you for showing them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter