A complaint: lack of housekeeping

On a walk back to Yacht from HS one night in July we ran into folks at the Boardwalk who said they had been receiving trash removal and new towels. This was so frustrating to us since we weren't over at yacht, even upon request. Seems like the standard varies so much from hotel to hotel.. week to week.

We were at BWV in May 2021 and we had zero housekeeping for an 8 night stay. Granted, we should have only received a full cleaning and trash and towel at days 4 and 8, but that didn't even happen. We took care of our own trash, had to request towels and generally keep house for ourselves without the proper cleaning tools. Our wood laminate floor was so dusty and dirty it was gross. I don't want to think about the carpets. When I asked about our two scheduled cleaning services, I was told that we had our "room occupied" sign on the door--totally not true. We never use that hanger--we slide the lock at the top of the door that keeps others out. If I had the vacuum that used to be provided and a broom, I could have handled the rest of the cleaning myself--sadly, neither were in the room.

In October 2021, we were at BCV--same cleaning protocols which were met and exceeded. Daily room checks, trash and towels removed/replenished as needed.

It is really the lack of consistency that bugs me no end.

d
We were at BWV in May 2021 and we had zero housekeeping for an 8 night stay. Granted, we should have only received a full cleaning and trash and towel at days 4 and 8, but that didn't even happen. We took care of our own trash, had to request towels and generally keep house for ourselves without the proper cleaning tools. Our wood laminate floor was so dusty and dirty it was gross. I don't want to think about the carpets. When I asked about our two scheduled cleaning services, I was told that we had our "room occupied" sign on the door--totally not true. We never use that hanger--we slide the lock at the top of the door that keeps others out. If I had the vacuum that used to be provided and a broom, I could have handled the rest of the cleaning myself--sadly, neither were in the room.

In October 2021, we were at BCV--same cleaning protocols which were met and exceeded. Daily room checks, trash and towels removed/replenished as needed.

It is really the lack of consistency that bugs me no end.
That would be the first I've ever heard of the "room occupied" sign actually working...I usually just imagine it says "I'm sleeping, but want you to knock as hard as you can and then barge right in".

Something just popped up on my Facebook page about jobs at the Swan and Dolphin. A quick check, and there are over 100 jobs available, just at the Dolphin. That is crazy!

Makes me understand a bit better why services are still cut. They need lots of people.

I just want to say, while I understand there is a labor shortage and other valid reasons why Disney is not providing this service across the board, it is completely understandable that guests would be unhappy when they are paying upwards of $1000/night for a standard room.

That being said, why are you paying $1000/night (or $280 for a value, $400 for a moderate etc. it’s all way overpriced) when you know you won’t be getting full services not only at the hotel but in the parks and restaurants too?

Don’t go! It has been said all over these boards when discussions like this come up. Nothing will change if hordes of people keep packing into Disney world at any price under any conditions. The bean counters must be literally laughing with glee and who could blame them.

Something just popped up on my Facebook page about jobs at the Swan and Dolphin. A quick check, and there are over 100 jobs available, just at the Dolphin. That is crazy!

Makes me understand a bit better why services are still cut. They need lots of people.

Service is still superior at Swan/Dolphin than it is at most of the WDW resorts, currently. We've stayed at the Swan 3 times over the past 5 months - they offered full housekeeping every day if we wanted it, they offer room service and you can communicate over their app to ask for extra room supplies (which would be delivered very quickly after the request was made). We even used the app to ask for late checkout (which was granted).

That's the thing though. What percentage of visitors to Disney visit these boards or actually know about this...or have prior experience with it to know the difference in the quality of service?
I gathered though the PP was talking about posters here. There's a decent amount of people who have booked multiple trips too. If you're in the know you can choose not to go and a person who is going for the first time and is so completely dissatisfied can also choose not to go.

It's a discussion told time and time again, there are a lot of people who complain about Disney on these boards (and I'm not at all saying anyone is in the wrong) but then they still continue to book trips, still stay on site at the hotels even with all that knowledge or prior experience.

I mentioned it on another thread when the topic got mentioned about DVC (and I guess perhaps Disney in general) knocking on people's doors asking them what time they would be checking out and people also mentioned phone calls. My response was I wouldn't give money to a place that did that habitually and yet there were poster after poster talking about it happening many times. In order to know it happened to you many times you'd have to continue booking stays..

Granted at least right now WDW's website and I think others mentioned confirmation stuff mentioned what housekeeping they have right now so if you paid attention to that you'd have at least an idea.

Service is still superior at Swan/Dolphin than it is at most of the WDW resorts, currently. We've stayed at the Swan 3 times over the past 5 months - they offered full housekeeping every day if we wanted it, they offer room service and you can communicate over their app to ask for extra room supplies (which would be delivered very quickly after the request was made). We even used the app to ask for late checkout (which was granted).
For the love of my Marriott points, please stop telling everyone how good the Swan is! Really though, it is that good there. All around the service is always spectacular.

I gathered though the PP was talking about posters here. There's a decent amount of people who have booked multiple trips too. If you're in the know you can choose not to go and a person who is going for the first time and is so completely dissatisfied can also choose not to go.

It's a discussion told time and time again, there are a lot of people who complain about Disney on these boards (and I'm not at all saying anyone is in the wrong) but then they still continue to book trips, still stay on site at the hotels even with all that knowledge or prior experience.

I mentioned it on another thread when the topic got mentioned about DVC (and I guess perhaps Disney in general) knocking on people's doors asking them what time they would be checking out and people also mentioned phone calls. My response was I wouldn't give money to a place that did that habitually and yet there were poster after poster talking about it happening many times. In order to know it happened to you many times you'd have to continue booking stays..

Granted at least right now WDW's website and I think others mentioned confirmation stuff mentioned what housekeeping they have right now so if you paid attention to that you'd have at least an idea.

I know what you mean about being upset but still going to WDW. We are NOT going back to disney. We are voting with our wallets, but I'm sure that doesn't make a dent in disney's income.
I really can't fault too much the people who continue to go to disney. The nostalgia draw for many is too strong right now. I look back on our many wonderful trips full of disney magic, and I get nostalgic. Then I look at what it is today and made the decision to go elsewhere.
I do think that once all the nostalgia is gone, then business will slack off from those of us who still have nostalgia. Will the disappointed new families come back? Who knows? Right now people are trying to get the disney magic that is advertised and once was. For some, they will find it, even with all the negative changes that have been made. We have good friends from across the pond who couldn't wait to get back to disney. They jumped through alot of hoops just to get here. I know they had a wonderful first day, but will await their further reports on their 2 week stay.
Anyway, all that rambling to say that we are not going back, and it makes me sad.

I know what you mean about being upset but still going to WDW. We are NOT going back to disney. We are voting with our wallets, but I'm sure that doesn't make a dent in disney's income.
I really can't fault too much the people who continue to go to disney. The nostalgia draw for many is too strong right now. I look back on our many wonderful trips full of disney magic, and I get nostalgic. Then I look at what it is today and made the decision to go elsewhere.
I do think that once all the nostalgia is gone, then business will slack off from those of us who still have nostalgia. Will the disappointed new families come back? Who knows? Right now people are trying to get the disney magic that is advertised and once was. For some, they will find it, even with all the negative changes that have been made. We have good friends from across the pond who couldn't wait to get back to disney. They jumped through alot of hoops just to get here. I know they had a wonderful first day, but will await their further reports on their 2 week stay.
Anyway, all that rambling to say that we are not going back, and it makes me sad.
I can so relate to your post, except at our advanced age, the nostalgia outweighs about all else for us. We were down in December, again in March, and we have trips reserved for May and November, so we are part of the problem, rewarding Disney's poor behavior by giving them abundant heaps of our money.

Every CM we have encountered has been outstanding, so they are trying to make the Magic. But the cuts are visible in the resorts and in the parks. Limited housekeeping, limited menus, no DME, G+, pay-for-parking, insane pricing, no free Magic Bands, reduced ExtraMagic Hours, and so on really take a toll, so I can't blame you.

I can so relate to your post, except at our advanced age, the nostalgia outweighs about all else for us. We were down in December, again in March, and we have trips reserved for May and November, so we are part of the problem, rewarding Disney's poor behavior by giving them abundant heaps of our money.

Every CM we have encountered has been outstanding, so they are trying to make the Magic. But the cuts are visible in the resorts and in the parks. Limited housekeeping, limited menus, no DME, G+, pay-for-parking, insane pricing, no free Magic Bands, reduced ExtraMagic Hours, and so on really take a toll, so I can't blame you.

I can certainly understand the nostalgia draw, and I do feel it strongly at times.
We are in our early 70's and have been going to WDW since l977 with kids/grandkids, and recently just the 2 of us (which we loved).
I have no argument for nostalgia. It's a personal choice and I don't condemn anyone for going. Have a great time:)

Here at the Swan now. No parks today due to a stomach bug and muscle pull. I've been contemplating how I'm locked in to paying, and that this bonus cash flow for Disney doesn't seem to have helped keep prices under control. I feel bad for large families and groups that have their plans disrupted and yet they are still going to pay. No hanging on to unused tickets.

As for housekeeping, I really hope they don't come see me today:crazy: . As far as I understand it, we can call and have them clean on a given day (I see now that this was has already been mentioned).

Last edited:
Anyone staying in a deluxe right now getting full room service yet? I believe it was supposed to start last week.

I just got back from Disney last week and did a split stay between Fairfield Inn at Flamingo Crossings and Pop Century. At Pop, I got every other day trash and towel service, as expected. Paid upward of $200/night because Spring Break.
Wasn't sure what to expect at Fairfield, but got daily complete housekeeping, including bed being made. Paid $118 for weeknights and $135 for weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter