8mm, VHS, etc conversion to DVD

Caskbill

<font color="blue">DVC-Operations<br>DVC-Planning<
I'm assuming anything related to photography will apply to this board... :teeth:

I've got a lot of old family 8mm home movies I'd like to edit and make some DVD's.

Step one is to convert to digital, basically just projecting the film on a screen and video it with the camcorder. (Sony digital).

Step two is to use Video software to edit, add some titles, transitions, etc. I've done some with the straight video using Pinnacle's Studio 8.

The question is, does anyone have any 'tricks' or suggestions on how to eliminate or even just highly reduce the 'flicker' that I get when the old film at 18fps is photographed by the digital at 30fps, thus every so often the digital frame is nothing more than a black frame as it captures the blackout during the film's transition between frames.

Thanks

Have you tried setting up your camcorder at a slight angle to the screen you are recording from? This made a huge difference for the tapes that I made copies of.

Some of the higher ended video editing tools will allow you to adjust timing and frames per second (FPS) for playback. Adobe Premiere Pro will give you this option to match the input with the output. It does take doing a little mathematics to determine the right speed but will reduce the flickering. A lot of times though I leave the flicker in the DVDs that I do since it adds character and most of my clients like the memory those old 8mm replays bring.

Jeff

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those.

I've used the "YesVideo" service offered thru my local Walgreen's to convert many old VHS tapes before they deteriorated any more...

It's a little pricey for 8mm but, if you've got one or two that you "really" want a better quality result, you could give them a try. (My local Walgreen's would oftten offer coupons, though.)

They have drop-off locations through many merchant's - not just Walgreen's.

Here's a link to their site, where you can enter your zip code and see if there's a "store near you."

Just a thought...

http://www.yesvideo.com/code/scripts/mqinterconnect.exe?link=find

I have 20 8 mm 120 Mp tapes and would love to convert them to DVD. I searched the internet, and there are places out west you can mail your tapes to, but i'm afraid they will get lost. I was thinking since my camera doesnt work any longer, I would try to find an adapter that will change my tapes from 8mm to VHS. I heard that at one time you could find them on ebay, but there arent any there now. Thanks.

I am pretty sure even with an adapter, your 8mm tape won't play in your VHS player. They two totally different types of tape. There is a VHS-C adapter that lets the smaller VHS-C tapes work in normal VHS players because the tape is the same size. You should try the phonebook. There are several companies by me that can put any type of tape or film onto DVD. Then you won't have to worry about losing the tapes in the mail.

Another option would be to buy an inexpensive 8mm camcorder on eBay. You should be able to hook that up directly to a VCR or DVD player and copy the tapes that way.

MarkBarbieri said:
Another option would be to buy an inexpensive 8mm camcorder on eBay. You should be able to hook that up directly to a VCR or DVD player and copy the tapes that way.

Thank you, thats what my son said i should really do. I guess i'll be going on ebay today to find one. And thanks ndelaware too, i actually do have that adapter that makes the VHS-C into regular VHS tapes. In the past 20 years I must have bought 5 different video cameras and now I want to put all the tapes on DVD. The 8mm is the only one I am having trouble with, but I do think that getting another cheap camcorder will be the best idea.

I am looking to transfer 8mm video to DVD. I am nervous to send off the family heirloom tape (seems I am not telling my mom I am taking it). Anyone know of any super reliable places or local to NJ that I can take it.

Also from what I remember when watching these as kids, there was often ceiling shots, len on shots, etc. Does anyone know if they automatically tranfers that part?

If you wanted to you could buy the Dazzle software and transfer them yourself. That way you would be able to edit it also. Best Buy sells the software for between $55 and $100 depending on what you get.

If you have a projector, you could at least try what I did, which is to project the movies, capture them using tripod mounted video camera, and then edit and burn to DVD. You might be surprised with the results.

~Y

My uncle did this years ago with a video camera. It was some sort of box that attatched to the end of the video camera to keep stary light out. Then his 8mm projector went into the box also so he used it to record. Since there was no audio he put music over some of it. Other parts included funny comments about the family or when the orginal photo was taken. With all that being said, no reason why you couldn't use a video camera and go straight to your computer to be able to edit then.

Wanting to do the same with some old VHS tapes myself.

Thanks for all the replies....I my have to give it a try myself. After all, sleeping from 12-6 each night is over rated :)

Are you talking about 8mm video cassettes, or 8mm film (like Super8) that is fed through a projector?

A video capture device (like a Dazzle) would work fine for the former, but obviously not for the latter... and for film, you can try it yourself like suggested in this thread and if you're not happy with the quality, you can try taking it to a pro who may or may not do much better. 8mm film is not exactly stunning quality so the final result will probably be somewhat grainy/blurry regardless.

I have a slew of old 8mm videotapes I would love to get transfered to DVD. Can anyone recommend an excellent, reliable, and affordable company that does this?

8mm are the ones that you put in the little adapter to play on a VCR right? I don't know if you can get them anymore but I used a VHS/DVD recorder to do mine. Just put it in the adapter, a blank DVD and pushed a button on the front. Sat all day one day and did them all. Not a pro way but as good as the tapes were.

I'm pretty sure Roxio sells a cable to hook your VCR or Video Recorder to your computer to do them yourself as well.

8mm are not the ones that you use an adapter for. Those are VHS-C. 8mm, Hi-8, and Digital8 are all the same size taped. They need to be played in an 8mm camera.

My kids (7 and 10 years old) recently started a business to do the conversions locally. They are charging neighbors $5/tape. I have no idea what normal companies charge.

I would also be interested in finding out an inexpensive way to convert the tapes to DVD. I have a ton of them and no longer have a working video camera.

Correct, no adapter for 8mm video. If the old camcorder worked, it would be easy to do this. It works now and again, but is not reliable and replaced by something newer. Sony sells a $499 machine that plays them. Not sure I want to invest the money or time into that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter