8/17/08 Captain Jack's Repossession Repo Cruise to PC thru TPC Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for all you camera-smart people here!

I want to put a D-SLR on my wish list for this christmas (in hopes DH will get it for me or maybe get my parents to go in with him for a joint gift) and I am having trouble telling the difference between the different models. I think I want to stick with Canon - my current camera is a canon, my old SLR and even my digital video camera (Elura 100) is a Canon. Also, they all use CF memory cards which is the same as my current camera. Since I expect to be using both my Powershot and the new camera I would like them to have the same memory card type.

It looks like there are 4 different models that are within a price range that there is "hope" I might get (There isn't much point asking for a camera that costs thousands with a TOAL to be paid for also!) As you can see, there is quite a price range among these 4.

Digital Rebel XT - $500-$600
Digital Rebel XTi - $700-$800
EOS 30D - $1000-$1300
EOS 40D - $1300-$1500

What are the main, big differences between these cameras? I know some of it is 8 vs 10 megapixels, but I don't think I'm that concerned with that. I rarely print anything larger than 8x10. I do often crop so having some extra pixel depth for that is good.

Obviously, I am not a pro and probably don't even qualify as pro-sumer. I currently take about 2000 photos per year (goes up each year, so I'll probably be approaching 3000/year soon!) However, I also am not a novice who has never used anything but point-n-click. Before digital, I used my AE-1 a lot - enough that DH and I have 6 or 7 lenses, a couple tripods, an external flash, etc. I enjoy playing around with my camera and trying different stuff. I managed to take some pretty good long-exposure shots of our house with xmas lights last year with just my Powershot A80!

I am assuming that my old AE-1 lenses won't work with any of these, so to start with I would just have the lens that came with the body.

Sorry for being so long winded here - the crux of it is, does anyone have any insight into the difference between these cameras and which one might be right for me?

Pamela (pdarrah)

I have the Rebel XT -- the XTi came out right after I got the XT, also. :sad2: It took me quite a while to convince dh that I needed a digital SLR.......Since I did have a wonderful Pentax with nice lenses, etc....But, it was FILM! :scared1: :rotfl: :rotfl: We also all have our own P & S digital to keep with us -- dh's is in his truck, mine is in my purse and I don't know where the 2 kids keep theirs. ;) And dh has an underwater P & S since we didn't have good luck with our underwater case for the P & S.

Before I bought mine I went and held several different models that I was considering buying.

You might want to check but, I know some of the lenses for film cameras work with the Rebel XT.

Our first time at CC Oct 2005 kids 14dd, 7ds & 4dd---
Picture258.jpg

Picture253.jpg

Picture256.jpg

Picture252.jpg

I might add...

... Pamela ... if you start buying lenses, you might want to try and AVOID the EF-S models. The regular EF lenses project a normal image circle for 35mm film ad our APS-C sized sensors use the smaller optical "sweet spot" of the EF lenses... whereas the EF-S lenses see the expected drop off in sharpness and brightness (vignette) on SOME models under certain conditions... wide aperature and extreme focal length (wideest positon typically). Plus ... some day I think the manufacturers may introduce full sized sensors at affordable prices - and THAT will make your EF-S lenses obsolete. SO I think the EF-S lenese are not worth the weight and marginal cost savings. HOWEVER, that said... the kit EF-S lense is a raging bargain for decent performance under normal shooting conditions.

AND - so long as we have no affordable full sized sensor bodies - the EF-S lenses are a reasonable choice - more or less. :confused3

AND if you google for FRED MIRANDA - there are a number of lense reviews created by enthusiasts. I find their comments of some use.

CC Feb 2006 kids almost 15dd, 8ds (CC day was his B-day) and 4dd ---

Dh's favorite activity ....
Picture138.jpg

Picture134.jpg

Picture173.jpg

Picture175.jpg

Picture161.jpg

What do you think DCL does with all the sand toys left on CC ?

I have no idea BUT, I think on all 3 cruises I have left our sand toys in the master bathroom bathtub... Not on purpose! LOL! I put them there thinking I am going to have time to rinse them of the sand and then put them in our luggage...... I forget them everytime! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Why am I working & not on the Ship????!!!!

Ah well, I guess I have to pay for this trip somehow. I get to console myself this weekend by going to Seattle to hang out with my parents. That's a happy thought. With luck it'll get me through the next part of work...

I swear if they ever figure out how to bottle the energy kids have, somebody is goinna be RICH!!!. Too bad my degree isn't in biochem...

Of course, there's that whole conservation of mass thing...

What do you think DCL does with all the sand toys left on CC ?

We_recycle.gif

I would like to assume Disney recycles them somehow. HOwever... who knows what they do with the things they must find?

Just today I took a load of recycle materials to the local recycler - however his equipment was not working because it was already 98 degrees and over 110 in his procesing "office"... so the LCD displays go opaque (black) and he cannot process anything. Leaving me with tomorrow early morning to bring back my stuff to recycle.

Actually, as long as we are on the camera/photo subject ....

Those of you who shoot a LOT of photos - how do you organize and keep track of your pictures? I currently have about 13,000 files under "My Photos" and it is getting harder and harder to find what I want. Many pictures have multiple files (original, cropped/edited, downsized for email, etc.) so I haven't taken 13,000 photos (YET!)

I have been looking at different software - Picasa doesn't seem powerful enough (although FREE is nice!) and several others I have looked at have pros/cons. I am currently leaning toward a program called IDImager.

I am just curious how others handle this - particularly those who seem to shoot A LOT more photos than I do!

Pamela (pdarrah)

I do subfolders in My Photos first by year, then by topic so:

Disney Cruise
Kids Birthdays
Christmas
Cute Pix (the "misc" category)
Disney and Seaworld
Kids Birthdays
Easter family

and so forth

When I crop/edit, I always save as a different name.

I have the 30D and have been happy with it so far (other than one repair for a frozen shutter)...

The quality has been great and have gotten some great 10x14 even after cropping.

Why am I working & not on the Ship????!!!!

Ah well, I guess I have to pay for this trip somehow. I get to console myself this weekend by going to Seattle to hang out with my parents. That's a happy thought. With luck it'll get me through the next part of work...

That sounds like a fun Weekend.

We're just going to hang around.

We_recycle.gif

I would like to assume Disney recycles them somehow. HOwever... who knows what they do with the things they must find?

I'd like to hope they recycle, too... I just don't know if I see it. So many of the things that the company does don't fit my image of what it "Should" do that I'm leery of assuming that they're doing the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter