75 employees laid off at Pixar, including the director of Lightyear

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is my job or kids impacted by DEI? Just want to make sure I'm following your logic and not putting words in your mouth before I respond.

I can't tell you about your impacts, because I don't know you or your situation. Maybe it hasn't, which might explain why you don't understand where people who are annoyed with it are coming from.

Actually, it was Asian grievance, but the point was the same.

WB didn't take the pandering DEI bait with Barbie. Let's see how it does. I could be wrong, but I bet it mops the floor with Little Mermaid.
DEI or not having DEI will have nothing to do with why Barbie will be successful and everything to do with it being a brand new take on a character that's never gotten a live action movie made as well as massive star power. It's not a straight up remake of an animated movie.
Judge people as individuals, not as members of groups.
I agree. It would be nice if people judged Halle Balley on her ability and not her race.

DEI or not having DEI will have nothing to do with why Barbie will be successful and everything to do with it being a brand new take on a character that's never gotten a live action movie made as well as massive star power. It's not a straight up remake of an animated movie.

I agree. It would be nice if people judged Halle Balley on her ability and not her race.

If you are doing a remake of a beloved character, the person should look like the character. Not sure how people don't get that. Anybody want to see a white Tiana? No. That would be stupid, no matter how talented or beautiful she is.

If you are doing a remake of a beloved character, the person should look like the character. Not sure how people don't get that. Anybody want to see a white Tiana? No. That would be stupid, no matter how talented or beautiful she is.
Because as I stated before, a black founding father in Hamilton didn't bother me one bit. I didn't need a white actor portraying George Washington to make the experience any more enjoyable. No, there shouldn't be a white Tiana because that role was specifically created to allow Disney to finally have a black princess in a way that was smart and well written. It was a trailblazing character and it's fine to honor that. But yes, don't you dare touch people's beloved characters or mess with their nostalgia in any way.

Because as I stated before, a black founding father in Hamilton didn't bother me one bit. I didn't need a white actor portraying George Washington to make the experience any more enjoyable. No, there shouldn't be a white Tiana because that role was specifically created to allow Disney to finally have a black princess in a way that was smart and well written. It was a trailblazing character and it's fine to honor that. But yes, don't you dare touch people's beloved characters or mess with their nostalgia in any way.

Maybe people have a completely different type of attachment to beloved characters from their childhood than they do to our founding fathers from 250 years ago. Hamilton was interesting BECAUSE of the swap. It was deliberate and designed to provoke thought. Most people don't want that in something like Barbie and the Little Mermaid. They just want to be entertained and experience the nostalgia.

Maybe people have a completely different type of attachment to beloved characters from their childhood than they do to our founding fathers from 250 years ago. Hamilton was interesting BECAUSE of the swap. It was deliberate and designed to provoke thought. Most people don't want that in something like Barbie and the Little Mermaid. They just want to be entertained and experience the nostalgia.
They also didn't spend $200 to $300 producing and marketing it, so that it needed to make at least a half a billion dollars to break even. It started as a niche product and became successful mostly by word of mouth.

It's not like nostalgia always works anyway. It can go sideways pretty easy. And it can really go bad when in the wrong hands. I cringe every time I hear "Everybody DampRid". Pretty sure C+C Music Factory had no idea it would be going there 35 years ago. lol.

Disney could make a white frog princess (a completely separate take on the story), but not a white Tiana. Tiana's whole backstory is tied to her race and the history of black people in America.

Judge people as individuals, not as members of groups.
Yes, let's do away with legacy admissions.

Not any more exhausting than your response to it. You know who should be upset? Stockholders. And I think they have spoken. And DEI matters, in more ways than one. It's a driving force in just about every part of our society.
Bingo! stockholders have indeed spoken and this is why we are seeing a wave of firings across the board.

People here accused me of being out of touch by simply telling them that this move by Disney was very wrong and have potentially turned off millions of consumers who will never buy anything Disney ever. For what ? Just please their DEI agenda ? And push so forcibly that people are sick of it.

They should have never pandered to anyone and stuck their head to ground and keep things moving in a neutral state.

I predict we see more cut backs and layoffs but imo the damage is done some people will never comeback. This why the stock will keep correcting itself until it finds the correct valuation for the amount of money they are losing.

The purpose of business is not about pleasing any group it’s about profits and they just turned off one really big group of consumers to please a smaller group. Not a good move.

100%. I'm on board with that. Lots of people can support these DEI policies colleges use for admissions because their little precious Spencers and Winstons and Katherines are going to get in no matter what, because they are legacy. It should be 100% merit based. When those folks get told "no" is when a lot of this DEI mess will stop and we will get back to reality.

Disney could make a white frog princess (a completely separate take on the story), but not a white Tiana. Tiana's whole backstory is tied to her race and the history of black people in America.

Actually, that’s not true. Her backstory has to do with the fact that she is a woman and poor and her father died serving in the military. The fact that she is black has no bearing on the story. The struggles that she faces (with the bankers for example) are strictly because she is a woman. There is nothing in the movie that touches on race relations or civil rights Or the history of black people in America. Disney took a European fairy tale (the frog prince) and created a story that would give us (finally!) a black princess. That is reason it would be obscene to ever replace a black actress with a white one for a live-action versions of Princess and the Frog.

Bingo! stockholders have indeed spoken and this is why we are seeing a wave of firings across the board.

People here accused me of being out of touch by simply telling them that this move by Disney was very wrong and have potentially turned off millions of consumers who will never buy anything Disney ever. For what ? Just please their DEI agenda ? And push so forcibly that people are sick of it.

They should have never pandered to anyone and stuck their head to ground and keep things moving in a neutral state.

I predict we see more cut backs and layoffs but imo the damage is done some people will never comeback. This why the stock will keep correcting itself until it finds the correct valuation for the amount of money they are losing.

The purpose of business is not about pleasing any group it’s about profits and they just turned off one really big group of consumers to please a smaller group. Not a good move.
Who exactly comprises these two groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter