7/17/02 Epcot is CLOSED for the day!!

Josh

Earning My Ears
I just received a call from a guest at Walt Disney World who was told by a Cast Member at Downtown Disney that Epcot is CLOSED due to "technical difficulties" and at this time is not expected to open today!!

The guest who contacted me will call me again if he can find any additional information. He hopes to confirm this information later today.
This message has also been posted on the DIS "Parks" discussion board.

Josh

Since this is the rumors board, I'll start one. It really wasn't a fire. Michael Jackson and Bubbles wanted the park to themselves. :p :p :p

Check your headers Ex-Imagineer... ;) That's Rumors and News, into which category this definately falls. I've merged two threads about the same thing into one. Thanks for the posts, Josh and johare.

Sarangel

Local news strikes again! The headline on that story should read "Power Outage Closes Disney's Epcot."

MJ was in town about a week ago, but I think he's gone now.

The power outage was caused by a fire.
Yes, but if the fire hadn't damaged the transformers, Epcot would be open. The fire didn't cause Epcot to close, the lack of electricity did.
But that doesn't make for a very exciting headline, does it?

Disney officials said they sent home all of the park's employees, and it's unclear whether they'll be paid for Wednesday's hours.
I love this...
To whom is it unclear? Disney, the employees or the reporter?
If the employees worked, they'll get paid. That's the law...

Having a transformer fire is so mundane - surely we can come up with a better story than that.

The Michael Jackson / Cobra Bubbles rumor was a good try.

Let's see a Car #3 rumor would be:

"Epcot was closed because it was being appraised by senior Communist Chinese officials because Ei$ner plans to trade Epcot to the Chinese as a one time payment for 20 years worth of Disney Plush toys that are made in China by convict laborers."

Or how about a Car #1 rumor:

"Epcot was closed because Eisner has decided to take his entire $800M personal fortune and upgrade everything that could possibly need it and he wanted a total assesment done to make sure everything needed gets noted down."

Your turn...

FYI...Bubbles died about a year ago. I read that he died because he wasn't getting "proper care" at the Neverland Ranch. Most have his other exotic animals have died or been given to zoos, too.

I guess MJ IS having some money troubles....

Roy

Poor poor Bubbles... :( I remember him when he stayed at the Grand Floridian a few years back. MJ sorry to hear about your money problems. Should have paid the Vet bills not the Plastic Surgeons.:smooth:

Yes, but if the fire hadn't damaged the transformers, Epcot would be open. The fire didn't cause Epcot to close, the lack of electricity did. But that doesn't make for a very exciting headline, does it?
Ok, so if a terrorist sets off a bomb at the power substation, knocking out the power to Epcot would you then say that "if the bomb hadn't damaged the transformers, Epcot would be open"? Don't think so. The fact is, the power wouldn't have failed if not for the fire, therefore the fire did in fact cause Epcot to close.

Sure the fire took out the power station which kept power from Epcot ,which is keeping Epcot closed. So yes the fire did close Epcot. But I'd bet that's not the only reason "Fire closes Epcot" was chosen as a headline.

Basically you could have had the headline be "Power Outage closes Epcot" and then explain in the story that a minor fire at a power substation not located in any of the parks or hotels is what caused the outage.

Or, you could have the headline/lead in read "Fire closes Epcot". Which, while also being accurate, has the added sensational benefit of leaving the viewer/reader thinking there was a fire IN Epcot.

Personally I'd say the first option better captures what actually happened. From a ratings standpoint though "Our top story, fire closes Epcot. Stay tuned for the 12:00 news" is clearly the bigger audience grabber.

Originally posted by roymccoy
FYI...Bubbles died about a year ago. I read that he died because he wasn't getting "proper care" at the Neverland Ranch. Most have his other exotic animals have died or been given to zoos, too.

I guess MJ IS having some money troubles....

Roy

He's got more than money problems, that guy is just creepy!!

Hi all,

I am here on my Disney vacation.
Today was not a park day so I was not there.
Just got a phone call that Epcot and U.Studios was on "high alert" Does a fire = high alert???

Hope it was just a simple fire that burned out the transformers. Will hear the news in about 18 minutes

I'm wondering if two stories aren't getting blended together here slenkar...
There was a fire that knocked out some transformers at Epcot; Epcot is supposed to open tomorrow.
There were some terrorists arrested today in Spain with some video taken in 1997 that included several US landmarks including DisneyLAND and Universal Studios, California. No offical warning about any impending event.
Could this be possible?

It also included WDW, not just DL.

It wasn't stated wether or not the resorts or the parks was included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter