5 days at WDW, which park to double up on

I'd do my second day at either the MK or Epcot depending of which sounds better to you. If I were traveling with my son who is 25 it would be two days the the MK for sure. He is in love with that park. There is a lot to do their and repeats are fun. I am traveling with my 84 year old dad in May and with him, I'm doing two days at Epcot for flower and garden. This will be nice for us as he uses a scooter at the parks - the slow park rental one -- so with two days we can take our time, hit all highlights and garden displays leisurely. We will also with this plan be able to do leisurely dining at the park. With one and only one day at a park, we just to table service to minimize time spent dining.

Magic kingdom is always our double-up park, if we can only return to one. BUT DHS has a lot of new rides, that you might not get done in one day with these shortened hours! Those would be my top two!

So for us the priority it always
MK
HS/Epcot
AK

Last time is was HS because it was my son's 10th birthday trip and we were coming back specifically for SW/TSL and I planned for two days to make sure we got it all in, plus any other HS stuff we wanted to do. We didn't go to AK at all.

Next time I am hoping a lot of the Epcot construction will be done and we'll give Epcot 2 full days (I still haven't even gotten to fully explore World Showcase!) We are planning on doing AK because we'll have hoppers this time and 1. I want to see Festival of the Lion King again (LK is one of my OG Disney kid movies so I cried) and because 2. I want to see Pandora @ night.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I didn't think to include more details. Its just my Hubby and I celebrating our 30th anniversary. We already have hoppers purchased because I think we will enjoy hopping. We have separate travel days so we don't have to worry about a late start or half day due to travel. It sounds like MK or Epcot maybe be the best for a second day for us.

Personal opinion: MK if with children or those that like to do rides.
Otherwise: EPCOT if just a couple. Enjoying a trip around the world is great fun.

I would do two days at Epcot, particularly if you are there during one of the festivals (which are most of the year now). If you are an DL veteran there will not be much different in MK, Epcot is unique however.

You can also look at doing Epcot only at night with a park hopper (drinking around the world in the evenings) and morning (park reservations might sell out) at HS so you are guaranteed entry to HS (park hopping can only be done if there Is capacity). You can look at current ride wait times to see if Epcot waits are peaking towards the evening.

There is nothing like Flight of Passage on the west coast so definitely do an evening at AK to see all the special effects and lighting.

First time visiting WDW but are Disneyland Vets. Which park should I make reservations for two days?
Not Magic Kingdom!!!
They are Disneylanders people!

I only say that because you go to Disneyland. And Magic Kingdom is the fiberglass version of Disneyland (ouch. Sorry folks, love my Magic Kindom dearly but Disneyland is the real deal. It is Mecca).

Our Mecca is Epcot over here at Disney World. So for that reason and if you want something least like what you can get at Disneyland (besides Animal Kingdom, which you won’t want to go to twice).

Keep in mind this is only my correct opinion

AK would be my choice, easily. I never feel like I have enough time there. There is sooo much to do and see, and it is the most unique. And it is an absolutely beautiful park.

Also consider the ease of transportation between Epcot and HS with the skyliner.

Also, you will be walking 8-12 miles per day (my cousin from California was shocked at the size of the parks). It usually takes an hour in the mornings to get to the parks and parks usually open 30-40 mins earlier.

If you’re booking special experiences you might want one of your HS days to be towards the end (Savi’s lightsaber experience/Oga’s cantina book within minutes at 6 am 60 days out).

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of the people about DHS. It probably has the more popular rides right now.

We're doing a 5 day trip as well. It really does depend a lot on the age and interests for the party involved when making a decision on a park to double up on. We were originally going to double up on DHS, in part because of the newer rides, especially ROTR, and we love eating at Sci Fi.

But we sat down and listed out our favorite rides at each park and MK came out ahead for total rides that we really like. Plus...it's Magic Kingdom. I just can't imagine not ending our trip there, even if there aren't any fireworks to close it out.

I'd double up on both MK and DHS.....

MK because you'll spend two full days.
DHS because you want an extra day in case you don't get a boarding pass the first time.

Then spend a day at AK and a couple of evenings at Epcot.

MK has the most attractions to cover so that puts it in an easy #1 spot. But...
You are a DL vet. Maybe it’s better to choose a park that is unique to what’s offered on the west coast. Epcot is huge to explore, you can easily fill 2 days there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter