$40 a Day for Dining at Disney

I think my favorite day under $40 would not include a sit down meal. Breaking my own rules but delighting my taste buds and enjoying the environment, this is how I would spend a day in Epcot.

Breakfast in Sunshine Seasons. Pumpkin muffin and iced coffee $6.16
Lunch at Joy of Tea Stand. Lucky combo with a Pork Bun, Chicken Pocket, Egg Roll, Soda and Ice Cream. $10.63
Dinner at Tangerine Cafe. Veggie Platter and Sangria $18.09
Snack at Kringla. Almond Pretzel $4.56

This day comes in at $39.44. I would not drink water with any of my meals and each of these meals is a favorite of mine. This would be a day where I did not deny myself anything I would really love to eat. To top it all off, by choosing to eat outside of the Table Service meals I could afford to have an alcholic drink.

Where is Joy of Tea stand located. I don't remember this?

If I remember right, the Joy of Tea stand is on the main walkway coming from flights of Wonder, instead of going left towards Kali Rapids it is on the right next to the lake. Across from where those monkeys have the big jungle gym. It is just a stand alone stand

If I remember right, the Joy of Tea stand is on the main walkway coming from flights of Wonder, instead of going left towards Kali Rapids it is on the right next to the lake. Across from where those monkeys have the big jungle gym. It is just a stand alone stand

I don't think so. I think the Joy of Tea stand is in Epcot near China. But I could be wrong.

This a great thread :thumbsup2 But it confirmed our need to stick with DxDDP :rotfl: We like to splurge on vacation and love to eat. With all our character meals and signiture suppers we'd never be able to survive on $40.00 a day :laughing: But you all have proved it can be done without living on hamburgers ;)

This is my imaginary day at Epcot (Food & Wine Festival of course), Start with the spicy chicken sausage w/polenta for breakfast at Canada. Maybe a lamb slider and buffalo stew for lunch. Slide into Morraco for one of the tangerine drinks then off to the tenderloin over sweet potato puree and mango chutnee sauce. Add a Korean kimche wrap, a few cokes, a cremebrulee and I should be in the $40.00 neighborhood and have had the pleasure of visiting 5-10 countries. It's not the true $40.00 a day plan in theory but it sure is fun!! That is just one way Mickey makes it so great!

This a great thread :thumbsup2 But it confirmed our need to stick with DxDDP :rotfl: We like to splurge on vacation and love to eat. With all our character meals and signiture suppers we'd never be able to survive on $40.00 a day :laughing: But you all have proved it can be done without living on hamburgers ;)

If I had young children or wanted buffet style dining then I would be in the same boat.

Concentrate, I_heart_Tinkerbell.:lmao: I think you can figure this out.:laughing:
It is a day at Epcot.
All the other restaurtants listed are in Epcot.
Do you really think they were suggesting to suddenly be in Animal Kingdom?:rotfl:

This is my imaginary day at Epcot (Food & Wine Festival of course), Start with the spicy chicken sausage w/polenta for breakfast at Canada. Maybe a lamb slider and buffalo stew for lunch. Slide into Morraco for one of the tangerine drinks then off to the tenderloin over sweet potato puree and mango chutnee sauce. Add a Korean kimche wrap, a few cokes, a cremebrulee and I should be in the $40.00 neighborhood and have had the pleasure of visiting 5-10 countries. It's not the true $40.00 a day plan in theory but it sure is fun!! That is just one way Mickey makes it so great!

Cute, SYLVESTER7577.
I love the spicy chicken sausage w/polenta. Have never tired a Korean kimche wrap, but would like to sometime.
Like you said, it's not the true $40.00 a day plan, and will send all the people who don't read the thread before posting WAY off topic.
So I will add to it. OT:
I had some great Tandoori Chicken tonight. Wish I had more, and some of the spicy chicken sausage w/polenta would be nice too.

Where is Joy of Tea stand located. I don't remember this?

I had to really look for it too.
I figured out why one night after pouring rain.
It is kind of hidden by a shop that sell puppets, hats, balls on strings, etc.
Every time you pass, that shop is so packed with people playing with the puppets and balls and strings, and trying on hats and taking pictures, etc. They spill out onto the promanade and basically "hide" and cover up the Joy of Tea Stand. Only enough rain to close that shop will reveal the Joy of Tea hidden behind it.:laughing:

Well, everyone, with the recent price increases, it will make the $40 a day a little harder to keep.
I drink Diet Coke at WDW, so the soda increase messes things up. And the other increases make it harder too.

Stayhomemom77, did you get to take your trip with your girls?
I hope it went well, or will go great when the time comes.

Let us know how your husband's trip to Barcelona went, and presenting his paper.:banana: You must be very proud.

So anyone ready to try a few menus with the updated prices? easywdw.com has them. I don't think allears has updated yet.

It is our Spring Break and I ended up catching an episode of Rachel Ray's $40 a Day television show. She was in North Carolina and seemed rather impressed with herself that she ate three meals and a snack for under $40.

I think that should be pretty easy outside of really expensive places like Rome, Paris, or New York. Then my mind turned to Disney World, so I decided to see if I could put together a menu at each park where an adult could have Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and a snack for under $40.

Here are my self imposed rules:

No DDP or Tables in Wonderland.
No Kids Meals for Adults.
At least one sit down meal per day.
Leave a tip of 18% (I do not want to argue this, just used this number as it is the one Disney suggests most prominently)
Drink something besides water for at least two meals per day.
Vacation food that either myself or immediate family would actually eat.
Try to include some Disney specific foods either exclusive to Disney or very rare elsewhere.

Prices listed include tax for counter service, and tax plus tip for Table Service.
Bolded meal is the Table Service

Animal Kingdom: $39.28

Rainforest Cafe for Breakfast. Tonga Toast and a Coffee $15.04.
Pizzafari for Lunch. Ceasar Salad plus Chicken with a soda. $10.63
Dinner at Flame Tree. 1/2 slab of Ribs with Beans and Slaw and water $11.17
Snack: Churro $2.44

Disney Hollywood Studios: $39.42

Starring Rolls for Breakfast. Choc. PB Cup Cake and Milk $5.84
Fairfax Fare for Lunch. 1/2 Chicken with sides and lemonade $12.66
Momma Melrose for Dinner. Pepperoni Flatbread and soda $17.78
Writer's Shop for snack. Carrot Cake Cookie $3.14

Epcot: $39.94

Sunshine Seasons for Breakfast. Oatmeal with raisins and hot tea $5.31
Chefs de France Fixed Price three course lunch and water $24.90
Boulangerie for Dinner. Ham and Cheese Croissant with Strawberry Smoothie $7.61
Kringla for snack. School Bread $2.12

Magic Kingdom: $39.43

Breakfast at Mainstreet Bakery. Cinnamon Roll and Coffee $5.95
Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. Colony Salad and Iced tea $19.77
Dinner at Columbia Harbor House. Fried fish basket and soda $10.31
Snack at Aloha Isle: Dole Whip $3.40

So, how did I do?
What would you change?

agree with other poster would buy the dining plan for $5 more and have a sit down dinner and breakfast...but do see what you were doing. and it can be done. I guess thought I Tonga toast was only at Kona's in the POLY or that is where were booked to go first morning as BIL wants to try that Tonga toast:worship:

http://www.rainforestcafe.com/locations.asp?st=fl

This shows Rainforest Cafes in Florida give a 10% AARP discount.
Makes sense, Florida, retirees.

Never knew that before.
Don't know if they will still have it, or if I'll remember:lmao:, next time I go.

Rain Forest has a safari club you can join is (or was) $15 and you only pay that once and then get either free appetizer or 15% off any meals from then on and is good for same in the gift shop..also when you go there and sign in if your in the safari club it moves you to front of line..is well worth it and they send you coupons for anniversary and birthdays and the card is also good at some other places. well worth the one time cost:cool1:

What an inspiration!

We are going in October. We are DVC members, have AP and TiW card.

Only have 1 TS planned for Rose and Crown (lunch).

Anybody want to take a stab at making a 2 Adults for $50/day plan?

We are ok with sharing, especially the drink that comes with CS meals. Not big dessert people. Looking at mostly CS for flexibility. And LOTS of Food and Wine snacking. Oh, and water is not my favorite.... but I could add crystal light and make a lemonade.

This is my current plan.

Breakfast in the room with either frozen breakfast sandwhich or pastries and soda/coffee.... purchased from home.

Magic Kingdom

Columbia Harbor House and Cosmic Ray's and snacks (I always get popcorn from MK) with extra snacking because EMH are late that night

Animal Kingdom

Flame Tree BBQ, my usual pretzel snack and an ice cream cart snack,
Dinner at WPE after the park closes

Hollywood Studios

???--- totally up for grabs. We were thinking CS lunch and then going to ESPN club on the Boardwalk after the park closes.... but cant really decide.... HMMMM!!! a challenge

Epcot

Lunch at Rose and Crown
Bangers and Mash are in for sure. And the plan was to snack ourselves silly for the evening.

So any Takers???

agree with other poster would buy the dining plan for $5 more and have a sit down dinner and breakfast...but do see what you were doing. and it can be done. I guess thought I Tonga toast was only at Kona's in the POLY or that is where were booked to go first morning as BIL wants to try that Tonga toast:worship:

Not sure what this means. The original challenge of the $40 a day has a sit down meal somewhere during the day and breakfast and lunch and a snack all for under $40 including the tip.

And in 2012, you'll have to pay $11.50 more to buy the dining plan.

Well, everyone, with the recent price increases, it will make the $40 a day a little harder to keep.
I drink Diet Coke at WDW, so the soda increase messes things up. And the other increases make it harder too.

Stayhomemom77, did you get to take your trip with your girls?
I hope it went well, or will go great when the time comes.

Let us know how your husband's trip to Barcelona went, and presenting his paper.:banana: You must be very proud.

So anyone ready to try a few menus with the updated prices? easywdw.com has them. I don't think allears has updated yet.

Nope...unfortunately I couldn't take the kids this year. We moved from Ontario to B.C. last month for my husband's job so the trip had to be scrapped.

On the plus side...we drove out here and were able to sight see a little bit along the way so we did get a vacation during the time frame I had hoped to take the kids down for free dining. :thumbsup2

We are taking a 3 week trip down the west coast next summer and will be spending four days at Disneyland checking out the two parks and DTD and we've never been there so we are all pretty excited about that.

Hubby leaves for Barcelona on October 22nd so I'll update you on that in a little over a month.

I still think dining on $40 a day is possible even with the price increases but it will require getting some of the cheaper options. I'll get on that in a couple of weeks...hopefully allears will be fully updated by then. (Some of the places have been but quite a few haven't yet.)

1. I think that her Disney on $40 was about ten years ago. I moved to Orlando eight years ago, and I know it was at least two years before we moved.

2. Her pricing does not include either tax or tip.

3. Judy and I tried to go to a place where she had her "afternoon snack" and found they were only open for dinner; they had specially opened for her for the show and the "other Guests" were friends of the owner.

4. Her show on the parks, based on the locations of the restaurants, would have required about five hours of travel between the parks she claimed to have visited and the restaurants where she had her meals.

I know this is an older post but thanks for pointing this out, Cheshire Figment! It reminds me of why I stopped watching Rachel Ray's show ... I used to love $40 A Day until one episode where she claims to have done the Hamptons on $40. She had "dinner" in a swanky sushi restaurant where the dress code was pretty upscale and her dinner was one sushi roll, water, and she tipped $1.50 or so. I was embarassed for her and thought that she was cheating as not many real people would have the galls to walk into a place like that and order one roll, tipping under $2 (and wasting the waiter's time).

Eeyore's Wife---Thanks for starting this thread! It's been a really fun read and gave me tons of new ideas for our upcoming trip. :thumbsup2

Nope...unfortunately I couldn't take the kids this year. We moved from Ontario to B.C. last month for my husband's job so the trip had to be scrapped.

On the plus side...we drove out here and were able to sight see a little bit along the way so we did get a vacation during the time frame I had hoped to take the kids down for free dining. :thumbsup2

We are taking a 3 week trip down the west coast next summer and will be spending four days at Disneyland checking out the two parks and DTD and we've never been there so we are all pretty excited about that.

Hubby leaves for Barcelona on October 22nd so I'll update you on that in a little over a month.

I still think dining on $40 a day is possible even with the price increases but it will require getting some of the cheaper options. I'll get on that in a couple of weeks...hopefully allears will be fully updated by then. (Some of the places have been but quite a few haven't yet.)

Wow, that is quite a move. I hope it all went well for you. How are the girls adjusting to new school, making new friends, and all? I hope you are all doing well. Take care.:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter