4 day cruises

Martial Law

Earning My Ears
We are deciding between the 4 day and 6 day cruise. Our concern is that if we do the 4 day we may regret not doing the 6 day and think it was too short. Has anyone gone on a 4 day cruise and thought it was a good amount of time or if they wished they had booked a longer cruise.

We are deciding between the 4 day and 6 day cruise. Our concern is that if we do the 4 day we may regret not doing the 6 day and think it was too short. Has anyone gone on a 4 day cruise and thought it was a good amount of time or if they wished they had booked a longer cruise.
I've enjoyed two 3-day cruises, as well as two 7-day cruises. Longer is better, but short is still good.

Longer is always better of course, but we've done a 4 day cruise and loved every minute. We went in with the attitude/ mentality knowing it was 4 days and knowing that we never felt it was too short. DH and I are even doing a quick 4 day cruise in December. Can't wait.

Is it price that is deciding one over other? Vacation time? Time off of school? Itinerary?

Longer is always better of course, but we've done a 4 day cruise and loved every minute. We went in with the attitude/ mentality knowing it was 4 days and knowing that we never felt it was too short. DH and I are even doing a quick 4 day cruise in December. Can't wait.

Is it price that is deciding one over other? Vacation time? Time off of school? Itinerary?

Price, we did the 7 day 2 years ago and now we are looking at going out of New Orleans as we are from there. We have other family members going and I wanted to make it affordable for everyone. For a family of 5 it's not cheap.

Price, we did the 7 day 2 years ago and now we are looking at going out of New Orleans as we are from there. We have other family members going and I wanted to make it affordable for everyone. For a family of 5 it's not cheap.

Well, if a longer cruise is too expensive for your entire extended family, I would agree that a 4-day cruise is better than no cruise.

Think of it this way - even though the NOLA cruises are not particularly cheap, even by DCL standards, you are saving money in not having to drive or fly to MCO/PC, or pay for hotels the night before embarkation.

We only do the 4 day cruise and love it. By doing 4 days we can spend the other part of our vacation at WDW.

Since the NOLA cruises are not until 2020 you have a great bargaining tool and leverage on the kids. You have a family of 5 so book the 6 day for 4. Tell the kids that the one with the lowest grades and worst behavior is the one that does not get to go.:rotfl2:

Just kidding, we have done from 3 up to 14 days and always will agree that longer is better. The four day is still a pretty good getaway, especially since you have been before. Since you mentioned a seven day i’m Guessing it was the Fantasy. The Wonder is different enough to be new but similar enough that you will feel comfortable.

Also, shorter cruises, but more of them, gets you to the next CC tier quicker than longer-but-fewer cruises. I’d like to hit Platinum before the new ships open for booking.

I've done two 7-days and a 4-day. At seven, I was sad to get off but felt content in doing so. With my 4-day, I felt robbed and was really disappointed getting off the boat and I said never again. Seven is my minimum going forward but it all depends on you and what you can fit into your schedule and budget. And as Squirk pointed out above, knocking out shorter cruises is the cheapest/fastest way to get you status faster (you'll spend more per day but less per cruise).

Long cruises are great, but we also had lots of fun on our 3 & 4 night ones. I say go with whatever you're comfortable with and don't overthink it too much. DCL is great.

Long cruises are great, but we also had lots of fun on our 3 & 4 night ones. I say go with whatever you're comfortable with and don't overthink it too much. DCL is great.

I agree. While I prefer longer cruises, I'm not opposed to shorter ones if it means I can cruise! I'm doing a 4-night in February because that is what the affordable airfare allowed. It's a little easier as I would not want to deal with Star Wars, so there's not a 7-nighter on DCL I could take over February break, but...
My parents and I went on a 4-night Magic cruise a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. Yes, it was short, but we went in knowing that we were doing a 4-night cruise and being happy about it.
I think the real, tangible "OMG it's TOOOOOOOOOOO short!!" thing comes in when you're on the ship going "This isn't 7 nights or longer. It's going to be so short" rather than enjoying it for what it is. Yes, it's still shorter, but if you're not focused on the length, it's fine.

I came to the realization that my perfect amount was 5 days. So 4 days is excellent. I've done very satisfying 3 days as well. Just try to focus on your priorities when it comes to your schedule and I'm sure it will be perfect.

I try to prepare for the trip a long time in advance and make sure we'll be coming back to a clean house, meals and clothes ready for work... so this way, I get into "vacation mode" extremely fast, up until the last minute of the cruise.

(But I'm always sad to disembark, regardless... LOL)

We only do the 4 day cruise and love it. By doing 4 days we can spend the other part of our vacation at WDW.

This is what we do as well. I agree with what everyone said that a longer cruise would be great...but you'll still have a fabulous time on the 4 night! I think no matter how long the cruise is, it will still feel "too short" when its time to go home :)

As others have all ready stated, longer is better. But sometimes we do want to spend some time at the parks so we will do the four night cruise to spend time in the parks.

This is what we are doing next year. A week split between WDW and Universal Studios followed by relaxing on the Dream for four nights before returning to the real world.

We always end up going with the longer cruises and stop going out to eat until we make up the price difference between the two. It really doesn’t take that long to save food money and transfer it to cruise money, especially if you have over a year to do it.

We always end up going with the longer cruises and stop going out to eat until we make up the price difference between the two. It really doesn’t take that long to save food money and transfer it to cruise money, especially if you have over a year to do it.
Since you own a restaurant are you sure you should be giving out that advice? Seriously you are so right. The only time we go out to dinner is when we're on vacation. We do go out to lunch a two or three times a week places like In n Out, Chipolte, Chick Fila, Pei Wei, Rubios, but even cutting out that out would save a ton. It's hard to eat a sandwich everyday for lunch.

Since you own a restaurant are you sure you should be giving out that advice? Seriously you are so right. The only time we go out to dinner is when we're on vacation. We do go out to lunch a two or three times a week places like In n Out, Chipolte, Chick Fila, Pei Wei, Rubios, but even cutting out that out would save a ton. It's hard to eat a sandwich everyday for lunch.
Good point, but I rarely even eat there. I usually take food into work to eat for lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter