4/20 Magic Cruise for 2, Part 9 (Final Installment)

Dodie

<font color=green>Survived the big crash<br><font
Recap:
DH and I are 40-years-old with no children. We have been to WDW multiple times in the past 9 years and were ready for “something different.” We decided on the 7-night Disney cruise and were not disappointed. However, I will try to be honest in my report – sharing the good and the bad.

Part 9 (Final Installment): Disembarkment, whirlwind Magic Kingdom visit, and final thoughts

Disembarkment:

We met our tablemates at Lumiere’s for our final meal together at 8:00 a.m. Everyone has to be off of the ship by 9:00 a.m., so this goes pretty quickly. We had a nice breakfast, bid fond farewell to our servers, and decided to complete our trip with our new dining friends from England, as they were going to Avis to pick up a car just like us.

Disembarkment is quick. You show your ID and passport or birth certificate one last time and make your way off of the ship to the luggage area. Luggage is organized according to where your stateroom was, and is color coded by the tags that you put on your luggage on the last night. It was a very simple system. Porters are waiting to help you with your luggage. We made our way across the street to the Avis shuttle. Although the 4 of us didn’t make it on the first shuttle, we did make it on the next one. No problems. We said goodbye to our new friends and were in our rental car by 9:30, headed back to Orlando.

Whirlwind Magic Kingdom Visit:

We were able to spend about 6 hours at the MK on Saturday following our cruise, as our flight didn't leave MCO until late evening. It was unseasonably hot and crowded (as we knew it would be) - and we had considered not even trying it since it was a Saturday and we couldn't get there until about 11:00 a.m. - but we had a great day BECAUSE WE USED FAST PASS! Why don't people get it? Why are there so many people who don't use it?

Although we had a limited amount of time, we were able to see all of our favorites: Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Thunder Mountain RR, Space Mountain, Alien Encounter and Buzz Lightyear with no problem. We also managed to see most of the 100 Years of Magic parade, do a little shopping, and eat a couple of relaxing meals during our time at the park.

Final Thoughts:

What a wonderful vacation! We will definitely do this again in a couple of years – probably the new Western itinerary.

Buy or bring a lanyard with something to hold your Key to the World Card and picture ID around your neck. Having it all right there made disembarking and embarking so much easier!

Use a backpack as one of your pieces of carry-on luggage, or stow one away in your big suitcase. We used the backpack every time we went off of the ship to hold sunscreen, books and magazines, bottles of water, etc. It was very helpful.

You’ll spend more than you think on the ship. If you don’t want to be shocked when you see the breakdown that they slip under your door, check your balance every other day or so. Things just add up. Remember that this happens on regular vacations too. You always spend more than you think you will. You just don’t necessarily see it all spelled out on one piece of paper at the end, LOL.

Tip the ship’s staff at least the recommended amount! Budget for it up front. It seems like a lot, but think it through reasonably. If you were going to eat in a fancy restaurant every night for 7 nights in a row, what would that probably cost you? Total that up. Then figure out what 15-20 percent of that would be (standard tip). Our stateroom host cleaned our room twice a day, changed our linens, gave us fresh towels, continually filled our ice bucket (even though I didn’t realize it until 2 days into the cruise when I finally looked in the ice bucket, LOL), made towel animals for our entertainment every night, and turned down our bed and got our room ready for the night. All of these folks work VERY hard during the entire cruise. I have never been more impressed, even at Disney World.

Take Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine along with you, even if you don’t think you’ll need it. Maybe you won’t, but I’d at least take it for the first day or so, until you know.

Don’t obsess about clothes. You’ll see people dressed in every way imaginable. I was surprised at the number of people who wore shorts to the dining room, since the Navigator specifically asks for you not to do so, but it didn’t disrupt my cruise any. Take along something nice to wear on formal and semi-formal nights. No matter how you’re dressed, they’ll be people dressed less formally and people dressed more formally than you. Pack reasonably.

I would recommend the Avis one-way rental from MCO to the port and then from the port to MCO. It worked well for us, as it allowed us to take our time AND gave us somewhere to store our luggage during our WDW visit on the final day.

Plan to have the time of your life. We sure did! I’ll bet you will too.

Thanks for patiently reading my ramblings! I hope they help someone plan!:D

Great job on the trip report - I loved reading it all - helped me relive the wonderful week that we had too on the cruise. Nancy

Dodie, I feel like we cruised along with after reading all your reports. :) Thanks SO much for taking the time to write these and get them up so quickly!

Great reports Dodie!! Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us! And THANK YOU for the links and the end of each report...it was so much nicer than having to go back to the trip reports page and find the next installment!

:D

Very informative trip reports! Can't wait for my husband to try the parasailing!

Loved the reports. Looking forward to "leftover lobster" (an oxymoron?).

Great trip report, Dodie! You gave me some good ideas for my own cruise in 2 weeks. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your great trip report, loved all the details...and I have to agree with Timon, the links at the end of each installment were extremely appreciated!! :D Hubby and I did the 7-day Magic a year and a half ago, these wonderful trip reports I keep reading really help to relive our trip. We're doing the Western itinerary in January, can hardly wait to get back on board that beautiful ship!!

Thanks for you trip report, we really enjoyed reading it. We cruised (without children, too) April 6-13. Our cruise was very rough. But we enjoyed it a lot. We agreed with many of the things you reported. Can't wait to go on our fourth cruise.

I enjoyed your trip reports very much. I would print them out and read them on my lunch hour.

I cruised with adults only 2 ladies on a Disney Cruise in May 2001 and we didn't run into any situations at all with children, sorry to hear that you did. Hope our trip this May with 3 ladies this time is as great.

I'm booked for the parasailing so loved your comments on that I'm going to get a waterproof camera before we go.

Thanks again for all the great tips.

Judy

Thank you Dodie for your reports. Loved the "ramblings".
In fact, I love reading all the reports. It makes the waiting
for our cruise a little less painful. I also liked your suggestions.

Thanks, Dodie, for all the greast reporting. I thoroughly enjoyed it all!!!!

I got choked up reading the end, how depressing you had to leave all your new friends behind. Thanks for an amazing trip report.

Thank you, Dodie for helping me re-live my wonderful cruise last year by reading your reports - they were most enjoyable. Glad you had a good time. Serenity Bay on CC is the ultimate isn't it, did you enjoy a hamock at all? Thanks again for taking the time to post for us!

Enjoyed your ramblings very much. Made me want to take a cruise! Great job and thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter