4/20 Magic Cruise for 2, Part 8: Castaway Cay

Dodie

<font color=green>Survived the big crash<br><font
Recap:
DH and I are 40-years-old with no children. We have been to WDW multiple times in the past 9 years and were ready for “something different.” We decided on the 7-night Disney cruise and were not disappointed. However, I will try to be honest in my report – sharing the good and the bad.

4/20 Magic Cruise for 2, Part 8: Castaway Cay!

We awoke on Friday as we were docking at Castaway Cay. The waters were, in contrast to the previous day, completely glassy. Hardly a ripple! The sun was shining. It was glorious.

We began with our traditional in-stateroom continental breakfast, and didn’t hurry to get ready to disembark, as the Cruise Director had announced the night before to be patient. Seems it takes 30-45 minutes after docking for the personnel to move all of the supplies and themselves off of the ship and onto their stations on CC.

We disembarked at about 9:30, and were immediately in awe. We noted the station for parasailing, right next to the ship, as DH had a session scheduled for 3:30 that afternoon. We began to walk to the first tram station, and overheard a CM tell someone that it was a “6 minute walk” if they didn’t want to take the tram. Not really understanding the layout of the island, we decided to walk. However, OUR destination was Serenity Bay. After our 6 minute walk (to the heart of the family beach and activities area), we saw a sign that directed us to the Serenity Bay tram, indicating that the walk from that point was 26 minutes! Wow! Glad we saw that sign! The Serenity Bay tram stop is kind of tucked off to the right, on a tropical path that you just might miss if you’re not looking for it.

We caught the tram to Serenity Bay and were among the first to arrive! AWESOME!! The entire beach is lined with loungers, beach chairs, umbrellas, and a few hammocks. We decided to walk about half-way down, to get away from the immediate high-traffic area, and then stake our claim to two loungers with an umbrella. I went back and picked up our floats at the Serenity Bay float rental spot. (We had pre-rented these, along with DH’s parasailing trip.) I asked about snorkeling equipment. The CM explained that it wasn’t available here, but could be obtained back at the main/family area. He also said that they didn’t “encourage” snorkeling at Serenity Bay because there wasn’t any supervision, but that DH could snorkel at his own risk, if he was willing to go back and pick up the equipment. Since we could see a HUGE stingray in the shallow water right off of the beach, DH didn’t have a choice. While I settled in, he took the tram back, picked up the equipment, and rode back over.

We spent the day snorkeling, relaxing in the sun and shade, and floating on our floats. A CM serving drinks said that this was the calmest he had seen the waters at CC in weeks. The water was simply flat, glassy and blue. The water is very shallow very far out (good for non-swimmers like me), so lots of people just walked out and looked down at the sea life around them. I have never been anywhere so beautiful and peaceful. It was almost impossible to believe that there was so much activity going on on the other side of the island. You couldn’t hear or see a thing!

Lunch was at the small barbecue on Serenity Bay. Choices were hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken, and even lobster tail (left over from last night, LOL?)! There was fruit and potato salad, along with fruit punch, iced tea and water. It was all very good.

Editorial comment: I was amazed at the people who were arriving at Serenity Bay at noon and after, COMPLAINING because there were no seats or umbrellas left at the near end of the beach. I mean COMPLAINING! Whining even because they had to walk to find a chair. There WERE umbrellas and chairs left, but they were at the far end of the beach. I guess these people just thought they could show up anytime they wanted and get whatever they wanted. We had disembarked 2 and a half hours before them! Jeesh!

We took the tram back over at about 2:15, returned the snorkel equpipment and did some souvenir shopping. They have some really cute Castaway Cay merchandise. I couldn’t resist. DH and I each got a t-shirt. We walked back over to the ship and DH checked in for parasailing 10 minutes prior to his scheduled 3:30 time. Note that they take several people out in the boat at your scheduled time. It took about an hour for everyone scheduled at 3:30 to finish their sail. No passengers were allowed on the parasailing boat, so I went back to the ship and up to deck 10 to take pictures of my death-defying husband. The parasailing experience is really awesome. They take you up in the waters in front of the ship and swirl you around so you get a great view of the ship and the beach. His session lasted about 8-9 minutes. He took one of those disposable waterproof cameras up with him. I’m anxious to see the photos.

The disembarkment presentation was at 4:30 and they kept announcing that at least one member of each party should attend it. I knew from reading these boards that they replay a video of this presentation on the television all evening, so we skipped it and watched it that way instead. Knowing that our luggage had to be outside our door that evening, we showered and began the very depressing task of packing. We skipped the variety show that night, spending time packing and then walking around the ship fondly, relaxing on the deck 4 loungers, and doing last minute gift shop shopping. There was a BEAUTIFUL sunset that night and a full moon rose shortly thereafter. What an ending.

I was surprised at how sad I was to have our last dinner in Lumiere’s. I had really gotten attached to our tablemates and our wonderful servers. Everyone really took their time over dinner, and Eddie saved his longest, most drawn-out card trick for the end of the evening. Although it meant that we would get off of the ship later the next morning, everyone agreed that we would indeed meet for our final meal together, second seating breakfast the following morning at 8:00 a.m.

DH and I reluctantly returned to our stateroom after a walk around deck 10, and set our luggage (all but our carry-ons) out into the hallway. (Note: The stateroom host provides plastic ties for people without locking luggage. Our luggage locks, but it was reassuring to have these ties to use on the side zippers and compartments, since our luggage would be out of site until we disembarked the following morning.

More to come…
Part 9 (Final Installment): Disembarkment, whirlwind Magic Kingdom visit, and final thoughts

Thanks for the details. I learned three or four new pieces of info. that will make our visit more enjoyable. We are also trying parasailing and can't wait. I hope the kids will be able to see us from the on-shore Oceaneer's clubs. VS

Dodie: How long did it take for you to be back in your stateroom after the parasailing? DH and DS are reserved on the 3:30 ride, and I'm worried DS won't make it back for the kids show (assuming he participates?) They are supposed to be there to practice around 4:30.

Thanks!!

His boat was full and it took the full hour to get everyone through their sail. DH was one of the last people back on the ship (at about 4:30).

I'm sure it would be okay - but they'd know up front that they'd have to HURRY!

Loved your reports. It was like I was there with you. As I was reading them, I was getting sad as the days passed to the last day on the ship.

You said that hubby took a disposable camera on his parasailing excursion. How did those pictures come out? I'd be curious to see what the island and the ship look like from a height that I'll never go. LOL!!!

Thanks.
Tina
knophop@comcast.net
Magic Western 1/2003

The photos from the waterproof disposable camera (Kodak) came out amazingly well - both underwater AND from the parasail. I can't imagine how he held his hand so steady up there!

The ship is beautiful from that height and the colors of the water really show up. Sorry that I don't have a scanner, or I'd make them available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter