????

Tammy1966

Mouseketeer
I am taking my kids camping at Ft Wilderness. This will be our second time there. This time though my husband will not be going with us.
So I am a little nervous that I am going to screw things up. We will be in a tent. The kids are all excited about going back. I asked them if they would rather go to a resort they told me NO.
We will be there the end of June through the 4th of July. I know it is busy but the kids really liked being in the parade at the camp ground.
I'm looking for a confidence boost here. Anyone else been there with just the kids and how was it?? Any ohter help will be appreciated
Thanks

Haven't been tent camping since college.... but my suggestions would be have a trial run in the back yard. Set up camp, take down camp. (You could even do a dry run for the parade! ;) ) Then rest assured that once at FW there will be more than enough willing and able people to help if need be. If not a fellow camper, definately a CM.

Have fun! :D

I agree with the trial run suggestion. Don't count on the cm's to help. If you need assistance ask a fellow camper, we asked a cm for help one time and it didn't work out very well. The man camped across the road from us was more help. I have to give the cm credit for trying but he was a young guy that didn't have very much experience. Have fun!

Tammy, as my husband is in the reserves, he gets called away....a lot! This never stops me from packing up and going camping! I have 3 awesome kids, dd 10, ds 9 and ds 8. You will be surprised at how bonding this time can be for you and your children. You will also be amazed at how your children will look differently at you. They will see a side of you that perhaps they may not know. GO FOR IT!!!!!!! You will have fun, they will have a blast and all the magic will be with you!!

Have a blast!!!
Michele

Tammy welcome to the board. I agree it is a good idea to do a walk through at home. It would also be a good time to double check the water proofing on your tent. I don't have to tell you how hot it will be down here over the 4th so be sure you have fans or better yet an A/C that you can rig in the tent and extra tarps for shade and rain protection. I have always found fellow campers more than willing to lend a helping hand. The CMs will also give whatever help they can. I have seen several single parent groups camping in everything from pup tents and no car to the big Class As with car in tow. You did not say the age of your kids but I would request a site in the 1500 loop close to the comfort station since it will be only you so you may have to take all the kids with you when you or one of the others need to go.

Go and have a blast. Fear not there will be help around if you need it.

My kids ar 12 and 9
We always do a trial run in the back yard, I think the kids enjoy that because they get to sleep in it once it is up.
I was already thinkinh about a site close to the comfort stations as I am one of those overly protective parents. I don't go with them unless it is dark but I still like to keep an eye on them.
I am just dreading the drive from Chicago down to WDW
Wish me luck and Thanks for all the help

Tammy, We live in the Chicago area and I take our 4 Dd's to OH on my own somewhat frequently. It's not the same as a trip to FL, but things go so smoothly for us, and we actually get some nice chats in! Don't fret over it. Make frequent stops, pack a pic nic lunch for rest stops (my girls love this! :rolleyes: ), plan your overnight at a scenic spot so you can walk a bit at night. Bring your AAA card, and don't fret!! Have fun!!

We have a pop-up, screen house and tent. I've gone to a campground a hour from home on my own with the kids and my DH has joined us later in the week.

Just make sure you know how to put the tent up and run everything. I don't know how old your kids are, but assign them jobs so that they can participate as well.

You shouldn't have a problem!!

I agree to do a trial run.but make sure you brand a fan or two for the tent because the heat is awful during that time of the year. Also keep in mind the the storms are frightening during that time of the year also and you might want to keep in mind that you might have to seek refuge in the comfort stations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter