2042 - Is that the end?

Yep, the end. Armageddon, Disney-style. They will burn down the DVC resorts and plow salt into the earth.

Seriously, there are a lot of hotels in this country that are more than 40 years old, and many of them are quite good. They need some serious remodeling after a while, but that's normal. There's no reason to believe these resorts will have problems remaining standing for that length of time.

What was at WDW 39 years ago?

Swampland and lots of alligators. ;)

The Polynesian and Contemporary are as popular today as they were when they opened over 30 years ago. Heck, hotels like The Plaza and The Fairmont are pushing 100!

I'm 39... and I must say that some have told me that I'm still in pretty good shape... well, my wife said so, and she wouldn't lie... would she?:rolleyes:

I will be 76 with 51 and 53 year old daughters and who knows how many grandchildren to come from these present day teenagers.

I hope to enjoy those many years at DVC. Now that 2 resales have bit the dust I will soon buy directly from Disney and be done with it!

Originally posted by erikthewise
Yep, the end. Armageddon, Disney-style. They will burn down the DVC resorts and plow salt into the earth.

Seriously, there are a lot of hotels in this country that are more than 40 years old, and many of them are quite good. They need some serious remodeling after a while, but that's normal. There's no reason to believe these resorts will have problems remaining standing for that length of time.

I can agree with this...I am not questioning the structural ability of the actual resort...but the "theme." These resorts are not simply hotels...

However, I do agree that the buildings themselves (given proper maintenance, upkeep, and remodeling) will have no problem lasting until 2042.

We will be too old, but DD will be a spry 51, and probably planning on taking her grandkids! Unless she waits as long as I did to have kids, then she'll still be taking them. I know she won't want to give up "her" DVC! Diana

My sources within DVC have acknowledged that a generous renewal plan has been considered for existing members as a way of extending ownership. It would really be a win-win situation for both sides IMHO. Taking into account that most of us will in all liklehood be well into our retirement years by 2042, I still believe there would be sufficient interest in such a program in the sense that members would be given the option of offering or passing down ownership to family members.

Senior Citizen residences at OKW? Yippee. I think there was a thread about that several years ago. I daydreamed about retiring to a 2 bedroom at OKW (ground floor please). Oooh wouldn't that be lovely.
If there are no elevators maybe there will be some new fangled way of getting us to the upper floors. Star Trek Transporters anyone?

Nancy

Now that made me laugh! A lot!

I'll be a relatively young 76, Lord willing. My wife will only be 71, our DD 42, and DS 40.

In 2042 the DVC will be closed down, because vacations as we know it will be replaced by fully immersive holographic "vacations". And we'll all be flying around in our hover-cars and jet packs.

I will only be 100 year old! I might have to give up the thrill rides but not OKW. I might want a bottom floor but I doubt it.

Originally posted by chrispoponak
I can agree with this...I am not questioning the structural ability of the actual resort...but the "theme." These resorts are not simply hotels...

I agree, however I do think Disney picked some timeless themes. It's not like a park where people are looking for the newest thrill ride. Look at the Poly. People flocked there years ago and they still do. Wilderness Lodge is based on the American West.....I can't imagine that going out of style. Boardwalk, BCV, OKW.....I just don't see people tiring of those themes.

I also think the themes of all the current DVCs are timeless. I'm sure they will continue to "update" the units as time goes by. Just as VCRs are now being replaced with DVD's, new technology will be added as necessary.

Now, the Pop Century and even some of the All-Stars, I can see that theming be out of place in another 50 years!

But why wouldn't they just want to take them all back and just start reselling them againto new owners. Why would they offer us "discounts" to extend? We really don't get any discounts now when it comes to real money purchases. If I buy more 150 pts today, it'll cost me $84/pt. If a new purchaser buys, they pay $84 too. Other than keeping them "owned" and someone paying maintenance on them, what's their incentive to give us a "significant discount" to extend?

What I can't believe is they didn't stagger the end for every resort at say 50-60 years from opening. Then they would takeback or resell OKW but not the rest until their time came. Then their maint cost would be less because they wouldn't be taking them all over at once. Except maybe VB and HH, they could just let them be forever contracts and not have to resell them again:D !!!(LOL)

I think you answered your own question. I wouldn't be surprised if they did offer members discounts just becasue they will have at least 7 resorts to sell all at once. Granted they will probably do some remodeling to them and may stagger the sells a bit, but that is a lot of property to have sitting idle.

I don't see that big of a problem. They'll just rent them as regular rooms until they resell. Plus we will have paid for them and maintained them.I would also imagined that for the last few years, "extra" maint will have them good as new for the turnover.

I predict extensions will be offerred to exsiting members. Members will be easy sells to continue the family memories for new generations. Fully selling new 40-50 year memberships for resorts that are 40 years old probably wouldn't work too well. It would be a nice gift for our kids.

mb168,

I agree with you that they would have been better off staggering the ending dates. I assume they believe most families will want to keep the DVC in the family, and maybe increase their points as the generations move forward towards 2042.

Otherwise there may be a sudden oversupply problem at that time. OF course maybe by 2042, the various rumors of a new Disney park in the central area of the USA that have bounced around for years will include a "rumored" DVC location to go with it...

How about this as a senerio. At about 2037 a lot of owners decide not to pay their dues because they know DVC is about to end and don't want to expend anymore of their retirement money keeping a dead horse alive. We will have had 35-45 years of good times and know it is about to end. More food for thought.

Rich

Yeah but Disney is probably the one company that could afford to sue each of us, and win.:D

They'd probably come up with something like a reverse class action lawsuit.

I can see it now, a CM in a Mickey suit before the judge...

Originally posted by mb168
Yeah but Disney is probably the one company that could afford to sue each of us, and win.:D

They'd probably come up with something like a reverse class action lawsuit.

I can see it now, a CM in a Mickey suit before the judge...

Disney isn't going to sue us. If you don't pay your dues now, they don't let you have any accomodations. I would imagine for those circumstances Disney probably has some type of procedure/policy in place where they move those accomodations to their cash inventory and rent those rooms. If you decide you want to come down, you pay up what you owe.

I don't think Disney would be losing anything

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter