2020 points charts...

I think the 2020 point charts are not right. Here's the VWL point chart comparison for 2020 vs 2019.

VWL 2020 vs 2019.JPG

How can points go up in every room category for every season (except a couple of 2BR point requirements)???? I can't see where the math works out on this one.

I think the 2020 point charts are not right. Here's the VWL point chart comparison for 2020 vs 2019.

View attachment 370794

How can points go up in every room category for every season (except a couple of 2BR point requirements)???? I can't see where the math works out on this one.

They’ve done that all over the place. BCV 2bd in Magic season was lowered by a lot, representing a massive amount of points used to raise studios & 1bds in almost every other season, especially première. Between this and the massive dues increase I’m starting to think we’re all getting punked.

They’ve done that all over the place. BCV 2bd in Magic season was lowered by a lot, representing a massive amount of points used to raise studios & 1bds in almost every other season, especially première. Between this and the massive dues increase I’m starting to think we’re all getting punked.
Availability was much better than average for most of Magic season (except July 3-4), so reducing Magic kinda makes sense.

I don’t get how they can do this. The math can’t be right. How can they all go up by so much?

How many of the 2BR are lock offs? In terms of counting points, the total number of points can't count all the studios and 1BR and 2BR. A lock off has to be counted solely as a 2BR.

View attachment 370794

Dream + Magic is 6.5 months (Feb through August without Easter)
But...if BRV and CCV have the same studio, 1BR and 2BR chart, and CCV’s GV and Cabin both decreased, I start wondering if CCV is balanced and BRV is not?

At SSR we saw points moved from villas to newer treehouses, but THV is part of the SSR condo association. I didn’t think CCV and BRV could combine.

View attachment 370794

You know I'm not amused, Granny, but I have an honest question. Is it the overall seasons that have to balance or the overall daily balance, if that makes sense? In other words, though it looks as though we're being hosed, if we were to break it down on a day by day basis, would that balance point-wise?

David's Vacation Club has the 2020 charts built into their cost calculator now and have the static charts listed as well. Went active sometime yesterday afternoon it looks like.

I don’t get how they can do this. The math can’t be right. How can they all go up by so much?
You know I'm not amused, Granny, but I have an honest question. Is it the overall seasons that have to balance or the overall daily balance, if that makes sense? In other words, though it looks as though we're being hosed, if we were to break it down on a day by day basis, would that balance point-wise?

The total points per unit for the year has to remain the same; nobody is getting hosed. Dream and Magic seasons have dropped considerably to balance it out.

We've been going in September partially due to the discrepancy. Now we may go back in the spring/summer since it's more balanced.

With a reallocation, some will have to spend more, others less. It is what it is. This is one of the rare "changes" that's actually a change, not just a price hike that they're using a more neutral word to describe.

The biggest surprise to me is that December 1-14 is still Adventure Season. I thought for sure they'd make that Dream or Magic and drop 2 weeks elsewhere to balance that out. That's a super-popular time nowadays. (Didn't used to be back when the dates were originally allocated.)

OKW full year points required
2019 vs 2020
Studio 5026 5316
1 BR 10385 10616
2 BR 13956 13948
GV 22199 22733
all went up EXCEPT 2BR went down 8 points for the entire year.
I also did not include Feb 29 in the 2020 numbers.
Somehow DVC came up with an increase of 1,047 points from 2019 to 2020????

Last edited:
There's a statement at the bottom of the 2020 point charts indicating what they were attempting.

Or what they are telling us they were attempting:

A reallocation of Vacation Points has occurred for 2020. Adjustments were made to take into account the pattern of Member usage, and should provide a more even distribution of use throughout the year.

The total points per unit for the year has to remain the same; nobody is getting hosed. Dream and Magic seasons have dropped considerably to balance it out.

If you look at the chart I posted, you will see that only the 2BR went down during the Dream and Magic Seasons. And the Studios and 1BRs more than offset that decrease through their own raised points for the same season. As I look at it further, there is no way this represents a balance in total points.

I don't think anyone is getting hosed...I just think that Disney screwed up the 2020 point charts in some instances and will have to modify them. If they never change them, then the hosing begins.

OKW full year points required
2019 vs 2020
Studio 5026 5316
1 BR 10385 10616
2 BR 13956 13948
GV 22199 22733
all went up EXCEPT 2BR went down 8 points for the entire year.
I also did not include Feb 29 in the 2020 numbers.
Somehow DVC came up with an increase of 1,047 points from 2019 to 2020????

Yeah, something truly seems off here as that seems to be something fairly noticeable on many of the point charts. The last reallocation, while some questioned if they balanced and it was difficult to determine for certain, but visually you could see more appropriate looking offsets. This looks like it heavily leans towards more points requirements.

if you assume that all 2 BR lock-offs are rented as 2 BR then the total for the 230 L-O units goes down 230 x 8 = 4,032
BUT if you assume all L-O rent as studios and 1 BR the increase is 230 x 290 (stu) plus 230 x 231 (1 BR) then the increase is 109,830 points for the year for the entire OKW complex. That's a lot of points even if only 1/2 are rented as studios and 1 BR it's 59,915 points that have been created. Current sale price $151 that's $9,047,165.WOW!!!!

I think I will recheck my numbers, this just can't be correct.

Yeah, something truly seems off here as that seems to be something fairly noticeable on many of the point charts. The last reallocation, while some questioned if they balanced and it was difficult to determine for certain, but visually you could see more appropriate looking offsets. This looks like it heavily leans towards more points requirements.

So I just did some further calculations at VWL and I'll be reversing what I said as the increases/decreases are close enough IMO to technically work. Considering the number of dedicated studios and 1BR's and the 2BR units (both lock-off and dedicated) and seasons then per declarations it's very close.

But I'd still wonder about the heavy increase in point requirements to studios and 1BR's vs 2BR's. 1/2 of the 2BR units at VWL are lock-offs and I'd bet that they mostly book as separate 1 and 2BR's just from observations of how much more quickly the studios book overall plus the general tendency of people to indicate they prefer the dedicated 2BR's over lock-offs (we also do). So where there's always been a higher point requirement when the lock-offs are booked as studios and 1BR's vs being booked as a 2BR that is now going to take even more points out of the pool that were sold based on 2BR points but are being used under the higher cost studios/1BR's. Leaving rooms unbooked. Leaving more rooms for breakage. Leaving more income back to DVC because most resorts already top out at the breakage income that comes back to them and the excess goes to DVC.

When were the charts last adjusted? This is the first I am aware of it and we've owned since 03. Since we don't take the same trip every year or even every other year, I haven't knowingly been affected by it.

If you look at the chart I posted, you will see that only the 2BR went down during the Dream and Magic Seasons. And the Studios and 1BRs more than offset that decrease through their own raised points for the same season. As I look at it further, there is no way this represents a balance in total points.

I don't think anyone is getting hosed...I just think that Disney screwed up the 2020 point charts in some instances and will have to modify them. If they never change them, then the hosing begins.

There's no way they didn't verify them. If you use the chart and add up all the points for every individual day for all the available units, you'll get the exact same total regardless of which chart you use.

There is an option....

As 2Brs are subsidized over all other offerings?
SUBLET - book a 2BR, offer a bedroom for rent. A WHOLE new class of DVC rentals :). DVC , with this chart, has created a HUGE problem for WDW... Rentals will increase.

Interesting....

There is an option....

As 2Brs are subsidized over all other offerings?
SUBLET - book a 2BR, offer a bedroom for rent. A WHOLE new class of DVC rentals :). DVC , with this chart, has created a HUGE problem for WDW... Rentals will increase.

Until your renter gets themselves and your family kicked out of the resort for doing something dumb. o_O

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter