2019 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 29-November 23, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you festival pro's. Do you pick up tickets to the culinary demo's somewhere, or do they just pull it off your MB? Shows up like a FP. If you do need a hard ticket, can you pick it up at anytime?

I don't think we're sure. In years past, you went to the "desk" at the front of the Festival Center and had to pick up a paper ticket (could do anytime day-of) and then had to get in the queue before the event and then surrendered your paper ticket upon being let into the demo area. My GUESS for this year with no formal festival center is that you will queue at World ShowPlace prior to your event and be checked in by name as you are approved to enter with no paper tickets in the mix. I walked up to World ShowPlace on opening day with an event happening later in the day and there was not a Cast Member out front. I am attending an event week after next and can confirm then if no one else attends anything sooner.

I’m a newbie when it comes to F&W as this is our first trip this time of year so I apoligize if this is a dumb question...I just booked a quick adults only trip for early Nov. obviously I missed 180 day mark to make special events reservations. I called today and the only one we are interested in is fully booked...Italian food wine vs beer. My question is...are there ever cancellations ie should I bother checking back? Or is it once it’s sold out that’s it.

Ok, so either we're crazy, brilliant, obsessed or somewhere in the middle.....but we were invited on a family member's trip in October because we missed some days from leaving early due to Dorian this week. Pretty much looking at going at this point!

Anyway, DH and I were there on Saturday, the first Saturday of F&W and it was really bare crowd-wise in the morning and early afternoon, due to Dorian. It picked up at night and was crowded. But....I made a drawstring backpack for the event that I used and will use again in October if we decided to go again! A man and his friend saw me wearing it in the Apple booth area and asked us about F&W in general and figured we knew what we were doing because he saw the backpack, lol!! I showed him the app and got him and his friend started around the world. Key advice...pace yourself! LOL!
So, here's the backpack I made:

I’m a newbie when it comes to F&W as this is our first trip this time of year so I apoligize if this is a dumb question...I just booked a quick adults only trip for early Nov. obviously I missed 180 day mark to make special events reservations. I called today and the only one we are interested in is fully booked...Italian food wine vs beer. My question is...are there ever cancellations ie should I bother checking back? Or is it once it’s sold out that’s it.
It's non-refundable so a cancellation would be extremely rare :(

I preferred this version over last year's raspberry. The raspberry was too sweet. It is a little more "liquidy" under the creme part, which is where the hazlenut portion is. The portion is small, but had a nice sugar crust. I almost feel like it was a smaller portion than last year's.

Thanks!

Originally they decided to close Epcot at 3 pm today then extended its hours to 7pm. Tomorrow should be normal hours. Does that mean the Eat to the Beat concerts are a go now? I’m missing Mercy Me tonight and was hoping to catch it tomorrow.

Originally they decided to close Epcot at 3 pm today then extended its hours to 7pm. Tomorrow should be normal hours. Does that mean the Eat to the Beat concerts are a go now? I’m missing Mercy Me tonight and was hoping to catch it tomorrow.
Mercy Me posted an update on their Twitter page this afternoon. Sounds positive for tomorrow. 🌼

Mercy Me posted an update on their Twitter page this afternoon. Sounds positive for tomorrow. 🌼

Thank you! We have dinner ADRs at The Wave tomorrow at 6pm so we will hope to catch the 8:30 pm show. Bummer because we were hoping to watch MK fireworks tomorrow after dinner from Top of the Lounge but I’m thinking maybe if the wind stays this crazy they will cancel fireworks tomorrow anyway.

Stopped by again today for lunch. In this post, I’ll just go over the new stuff I tried today. If you want to see my ranking of all items I’ve tried thus far this year, expand the quoted post at the very end of this post. That quote will include all items, including the ones I added today, ranked from best to worst. If there is a number in parenthesis before the name of the dish, that means I tried it that many times. Also, I tried to order an Italian Margarita, but I accidentally left my license in the car. I'm 40 years old and look it, but they still wouldn't serve me lol.

Spanish-style Paella (Spain) - 8.0/10 - I didn't care for this last year, but quite enjoyed it this time. I think it's just the luck of draw, as it looks basically the same. The sausage is quite good.

Red Hot Spicy Thai Curry Beef (Thailand) - 7.5/10 - Not as spicy as the name implies. Only a subtle kick. Pretty good.

Ravioli Carbonara (Italy) - 7.5/10 - Strong parmesan flavor, which I like. Lots of fairly crispy bacon as well. Not bad, which means it's outstanding for the Italy booth!

Charcuterie in a Cone (Spain) - 7/5/10 - Nothing earth shattering, just decent meats, cheeses, and olives. Mine was particularly sausage heavy.

Nigerian Meat Pie (Refreshment Outpost) - 7.0 - Tastes very similar to frozen Jamaican Beef Patties. Maybe with a bit more of an African spice profile. Could have been crispier.

New England Lobster Roll (Hops & Barley) - 7.0/10 - Not bad, but not as good as previous years. There were no lumps of meat here, just shreds. And it was a bit dry, and kind of warm.

Venison Stew (The Alps) - 5.0/10 - I really didn't like the sauce. It was oddly sour. The meat was tender, but a bit gamey.

Madras Red Curry (India) - 4.0/10 - Definitely not for me. Had a sour, bitter taste. Chickpeas were hard. I threw most of this away.

Alright, here is my ranking as it currently stands after two visits. Now with pictures! Anything 7 or higher is a recommend. Anything above 8 or so I would consider a must try!

If there is a number before the name of the dish, that is how many times we've tried that dish.

(2) Taco de Puerco (Mexico) - 9.0/10 - First one was loaded with tender, juicy pork belly and tasty green sauce. Second one had about half as much on it, and was pretty dry. I'll leave this at the top, as the first one was so good. But YMMV.

taco_de_puerco.jpg

Mala Chicken and Shrimp Bao Bun (China) - 8.5/10 - The sauce on the chicken and shrimp was very tasty.

mala_chicken_and_shrimp_bao_bun.jpg

Boeuf Braisé à la Borderlaise (France) - 8.5/10 - Very tender beef, very tasty sauce. Potatoes were delicious, but kind of hard to eat. They kept falling apart.

boeuf_braise_a_la_borderlaise_1.jpg

Warm Raclette Swiss Cheese (The Alps) - 8.5/10 - Getting a fresh one is critical. Ours was melty and quite tasty. There were 2 very small potatoes and 1 tiny pickle hiding under the cheese.

warm_raclette_swiss_cheese.jpg

Maple Bourbon Cheesecake (Cheese Studio) - 8.5/10 - One of favorites from last year, and it's just as good this year. I always ask for one fresh out of the fridge, as being cold improves it quite a bit.

maple_bourbon_cheesecake.jpg

Banana Almond Soft Serve Sundae (Shimmering Sips) - 8.0/10 - Refreshing and quite tasty. Good size portion.

banana_almond_soft_serve_sundae.jpg

Spanish-style Paella (Spain) - 8.0/10 - I didn't care for this last year, but quite enjoyed it this time. I think it's just the luck of draw, as it looks basically the same. The sausage is quite good.

Blueberry and Almond Frangipane Tart (The Alps) - 8.0/10 - The crust on this is amazing.

blueberry_and_almond_frangipane_tart.jpg

(3) Deconstructed Pavlova (Australia) - 8.0/10 - First time we got it it was room temperature, and scored a 7.0. We asked for one straight from the fridge the second time, and it was quite a bit better, earning it's current 8.0.

deconstructed_pavlova_2.jpg

Impossible Cottage Pie (Earth Eats) - 8.0/10 - Shockingly good. Tastes like real meat. I expected the cauliflower mash to be a deal breaker, but even that was pretty good.

impossible_cottage_pie.jpg

Kenyan Coffee Barbecue Beef Tenderloin (Africa) - 7.5/10 - This was delicious, but my beef was full of gristle. If it had been tender this would be higher.

kenyan_coffee_barbecue_beef_tenderloin.jpg

NY Strip Steak Green Shermoula Flatbread (Morocco) - 7.5/10 - Basically a beef soft taco. Good though!

ny_strip_steak_green_shermoula_flatbread.jpg

Teriyaki-glazed SPAM Hash (Hawaii) - 7.5/10 - One of my favorite items last year, but not quite as good this year. Smaller portion, not as much sauce, and the potatoes are mushier. Still pretty good.

teriyaki_glazed_spam_hash.jpg

Black Pepper Shrimp (China) - 7.5/10 - We always like this. Shrimp still had tails on this year.

black_pepper_shrimp.jpg

Ravioli Carbonara (Italy) - 7.5/10 - Strong parmesan flavor, which I like. Lots of fairly crispy bacon as well. Not bad, which means it's outstanding for the Italy booth!

Charcuterie in a Cone (Spain) - 7/5/10 - Nothing earth shattering, just decent meats, cheeses, and olives. Mine was particularly sausage heavy.

Pacifico True Striped Bass Tostada (Coastal Eats) - 7.5/10 - Good, but could have used more of the delicous green sauce. Fish was a tad bit dry.

pacifico_true_striped_bass_tostada.jpg

Jerk-spiced Chicken (Islands of the Caribbean) - 7.0/10 - Chicken was good, and spicy. I didn't care for anything else in the dish, though. It would have cooled down the spicy chicken, but it was just too sweet for a savory dish.

jerk_spiced_chicken.jpg

Frozen Mimosa (Shimmering Sips) - 7.0/10 - Refreshing, but maybe a bit too sweet. Almost no taste of alcohol.

frozen_mimosa.jpg

Braised Beef Stroganoff (Cheese Studio) - 7.0/10 - Pretty good, but the noodles kind of got lost with all of the sauce. Decent sized portion.

braised_beef_stroganoff.jpg

Frothy Ramen (Japan) - 7.0/10 - Expected this to be gross, as I don’t like cold noodles, but it was pretty good. Oddly sweet.

frothy_ramen.jpg

New England Lobster Roll (Hops & Barley) - 7.0/10 - Not bad, but not as good as previous years. There were no lumps of meat here, just shreds. And it was a bit dry, and kind of warm.

"La Cellier" Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon (Canada) - 7.0/10 - This is usually really good, but this time it was overcooked (borderline well done) and kind of tough. It was a large portion, with tons of mushrooms.

la_cellier_wild_mushroom_beef_filet_mignon.jpg

Nigerian Meat Pie (Refreshment Outpost) - 7.0 - Tastes very similar to frozen Jamaican Beef Patties. Maybe with a bit more of an African spice profile. Could have been crispier.

Charcuterie and Cheese Plate (Appleseed Orchard) - 7.0/10 - The maple syrup added an interesting flavor to the cheeses. The meats were fine, but uninteresting. The lump of apple stuff was kind of gross, though.

charcuterie_and_cheese_plate.jpg

Caramel Apple Popcorn (Appleseed Orchard) - 7.0/10 - Pretty good flavor. And the popcorn still tasted fresh, not stale like a lot of flavored popcorn. Plus, the container is adorable.

caramel_apple_popcorn.jpg

Capirotada de Chocolate (Mexico) - 7.0/10 - Typical chocolate bread pudding.

capirotada_de_chocolate.jpg

Tostada de Carne (Mexico) - 6.5/10 - Wasn’t a big fan of the mole on this. The meat was good, though.

tostada_de_carne.jpg

Frozen Apple Pie (Appleseed Orchard) - 6.0/10 - I didn't try this, but my wife gave it a 6, saying it was "too sweet". I forgot to take a picture of just the drink, so here it is with the popcorn!

appleseed_orchard.jpg

Baked Shrimp and Scallop Scampi Dip (Coastal Eats) - 5.0/10 - The dip was runny and kind of gross, and the scallops were nothing special. On their own, I'd give the two scallops a 6.5, and the dip a 4.

baked_shrimp_and_scallop_scampi_dip.jpg

Venison Stew (The Alps) - 5.0/10 - I really didn't like the sauce. It was oddly sour. The meat was tender, but a bit gamey.

Madras Red Curry (India) - 4.0/10 - Definitely not for me. Had a sour, bitter taste. Chickpeas were hard. I threw most of this away.

We must have had a better batch of the curry at the India booth because we found it very flavorful. Perhaps ours had cooked a bit longer. Many of the booths are really YMMV. We skipped the ravioli in Italy but tried the ribs and the other hot dish which for the life of me I can’t remember, lol! All in all we were very pleased with F&W this year. We had something at all but a few of the booths since we spread it all out over a few days. We are stopping by today for the concert and may try to sneak in a snack. I mean there’s always room for a Guinness Bailey shake :)

OK, I'll just ask.. I've tried searching, but I've not found exactly what I'm looking for.. So.... Visit the F&W fest 4 times and you can get the coasters..... Soooooo... I'm guessing they mean visit 4 different days.... What if we went at opening, left, came back later.. Is that 1 visit or 2?

Wife and I went to F&W today. Time to start my annual ranking of all F&W items. Hopefully somebody finds this useful!

Basically anything 7 or higher is a recommend. We will be back tomorrow to add to the list. I’m happy to try to answer any questions!

Taco de Puerco (Mexico) - 9.0/10 - Loaded with tender pork belly, tasty green sauce

Mala Chicken and Shrimp Bao Bun (China) - 8.5/10 - The sauce on the chicken and shrimp was very tasty.

Boeuf Braisé à la Borderlaise (France) - 8.5/10

Warm Raclette Swiss Cheese (The Alps) - 8.5/10 - Getting a fresh one is critical.

Blueberry and Almond Frangipane Tart (The Alps) - 8.0/10 - The crust on this is amazing.

Kenyan Coffee Barbecue Beef Tenderloin (Africa) - 7.5/10 - This was delicious, but my beef was full of gristle. If it had been tender this would be higher.

NY Strip Steak Green Shermoula Flatbread (Morocco) - 7.5/10 - Basically a beef soft taco. Good though!

Black Pepper Shrimp (China) - 7.5/10 - We always like this. Shrimp still had tails on this year.

Deconstructed Pavlova (Australia) - 7.0/10 - Good, but it was room temperature. If colder this would be higher.

Frothy Ramen (Japan) - 7.0/10 - Expected this to be gross, as I don’t like cold noodles, but it was pretty good. Oddly sweet.

Tostada de Carne (Mexico) - 6.5/10 - Wasn’t a big fan of the mole on this. The meat was good, though.

Great reviews so far!

OK, I'll just ask.. I've tried searching, but I've not found exactly what I'm looking for.. So.... Visit the F&W fest 4 times and you can get the coasters..... Soooooo... I'm guessing they mean visit 4 different days.... What if we went at opening, left, came back later.. Is that 1 visit or 2?
That's only 1. You need 4 separate days.

Your example is 1 visit. Your visits must be on separate days--4 in number.

Alright, here is my ranking as it currently stands after two visits. Now with pictures! Anything 7 or higher is a recommend. Anything above 8 or so I would consider a must try!

If there is a number before the name of the dish, that is how many times we've tried that dish.

Taco de Puerco (Mexico) - 9.0/10 - Loaded with tender pork belly, tasty green sauce.

taco_de_puerco.jpg

mala_chicken_and_shrimp_bao_bun.jpg

Boeuf Braisé à la Borderlaise (France) - 8.5/10 - Very tender beef, very tasty sauce. Potatoes were delicious, but kind of hard to eat. They kept falling apart.

boeuf_braise_a_la_borderlaise_1.jpg

Warm Raclette Swiss Cheese (The Alps) - 8.5/10 - Getting a fresh one is critical. Ours was melty and quite tasty. There were 2 very small potatoes and 1 tiny pickle hiding under the cheese.

warm_raclette_swiss_cheese.jpg

Maple Bourbon Cheesecake (Cheese Studio) - 8.5/10 - One of favorites from last year, and it's just as good this year. I always ask for one fresh out of the fridge, as being cold improves it quite a bit.

maple_bourbon_cheesecake.jpg

Banana Almond Soft Serve Sundae (Shimmering Sips) - 8.0/10 - Refreshing and quite tasty. Good size portion.

banana_almond_soft_serve_sundae.jpg

blueberry_and_almond_frangipane_tart.jpg

(3) Deconstructed Pavlova (Australia) - 8.0/10 - First time we got it it was room temperature, and scored a 7.0. We asked for one straight from the fridge the second time, and it was quite a bit better, earning it's current 8.0.

deconstructed_pavlova_2.jpg

Impossible Cottage Pie (Earth Eats) - 8.0/10 - Shockingly good. Tastes like real meat. I expected the cauliflower mash to be a deal breaker, but even that was pretty good.

impossible_cottage_pie.jpg

kenyan_coffee_barbecue_beef_tenderloin.jpg

ny_strip_steak_green_shermoula_flatbread.jpg

Teriyaki-glazed SPAM Hash (Hawaii) - 7.5/10 - One of my favorite items last year, but not quite as good this year. Smaller portion, not as much sauce, and the potatoes are mushier. Still pretty good.

teriyaki_glazed_spam_hash.jpg

black_pepper_shrimp.jpg

Pacifico True Striped Bass Tostada (Coastal Eats) - 7.5/10 - Good, but could have used more of the delicous green sauce. Fish was a tad bit dry.

pacifico_true_striped_bass_tostada.jpg

Jerk-spiced Chicken (Islands of the Caribbean) - 7.0/10 - Chicken was good, and spicy. I didn't care for anything else in the dish, though. It would have cooled down the spicy chicken, but it was just too sweet for a savory dish.

jerk_spiced_chicken.jpg

Frozen Mimosa (Shimmering Sips) - 7.0/10 - Refreshing, but maybe a bit too sweet. Almost no taste of alcohol.

frozen_mimosa.jpg

Braised Beef Stroganoff (Cheese Studio) - 7.0/10 - Pretty good, but the noodles kind of got lost with all of the sauce. Decent sized portion.

braised_beef_stroganoff.jpg

frothy_ramen.jpg

"La Cellier" Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon (Canada) - 7.0/10 - This is usually really good, but this time it was overcooked (borderline well done) and kind of tough. It was a large portion, with tons of mushrooms.

la_cellier_wild_mushroom_beef_filet_mignon.jpg

Charcuterie and Cheese Plate (Appleseed Orchard) - 7.0/10 - The maple syrup added an interesting flavor to the cheeses. The meats were fine, but uninteresting. The lump of apple stuff was kind of gross, though.

charcuterie_and_cheese_plate.jpg

Caramel Apple Popcorn (Appleseed Orchard) - 7.0/10 - Pretty good flavor. And the popcorn still tasted fresh, not stale like a lot of flavored popcorn. Plus, the container is adorable.

caramel_apple_popcorn.jpg

capirotada_de_chocolate.jpg

tostada_de_carne.jpg

Frozen Apple Pie (Appleseed Orchard) - 6.0/10 - I didn't try this, but my wife gave it a 6, saying it was "too sweet". I forgot to take a picture of just the drink, so here it is with the popcorn!

appleseed_orchard.jpg

Baked Shrimp and Scallop Scampi Dip (Coastal Eats) - 5.0/10 - The dip was runny and kind of gross, and the scallops were nothing special. On their own, I'd give the two scallops a 6.5, and the dip a 4.

baked_shrimp_and_scallop_scampi_dip.jpg

Beautiful clear pictures! I am loving your reviews, they are very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter