2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

Isn’t FD usually offered to fill up resorts with low bookings, so if a lot of you have already booked and are hoping to modify your reservation to receive FD isn’t that defeating the purpose? The resorts already have your reservations so they don’t need to offer a promotion to fill rooms? I’m just asking to clearify because I’m unclear on the subject. Thanks!

LOL after all these years, they decide to do this to us! lol. I just hope it's tomorrow. Get it over with!
Historically, as in the last 3 years, yes they have dropped it on Mondays. Prior to that the GP drop was not consistent, below are the dates and day of week of prior GP drops before the last 3 years......
5/7/14 (Wed.)- Note that the Visa offer was dropped on the previous Friday.
5/9/13 (Thurs.)- Note that the Visa offer was dropped on the previous Monday.
7/12/12 (Thurs.)- Visa offer actually dropped on the previous Sunday.
3/5/12 (Mon.)- Visa offer dropped on the previous Thurs.
8/3/11 (Wed.)
5/2/11 (Mon.)- Visa offer dropped on previous Thurs.
4/29/10 (Thurs.)

I know everyone is talking about RO discounts dropping the same day as FD but right now (I am in Canada) i see the incredible summer offer posted for my dates which are aug 17th-26th and giving discounts of 20% off or something as I can't check as I'm just getting an error page. in the details of that promo it says only until aug 1st.. are canadians extended or something? does anyone get that promo? I am just trying to crunch numbers to see what the cost comparison is. We are 4 disney adults and 1 child. looking to stay at CBR and upgrade the DP or if the price to deluxe isn't much more possibly that since I am nervous of CBR construction. if this is the best RO discount I can do perhaps I should just book so I can get the room i want-- if not, it will just fill with FDing.

So if I already have a reservation (that I’ve been making payments toward) for a resort not included in the FD promotion, should I be calling when they open to switch or just going online and booking a new reservation, then cancelling my original? Seems like that could be a mess! Never done this before!

Isn’t FD usually offered to fill up resorts with low bookings, so if a lot of you have already booked and are hoping to modify your reservation to receive FD isn’t that defeating the purpose? The resorts already have your reservations so they don’t need to offer a promotion to fill rooms? I’m just asking to clearify because I’m unclear on the subject. Thanks!
For us, we are going at that time anyway so FD would just be a bonus. I did get a RO discount though so its not a total loss if I do not get FD.

I teach elementary school, so my options to take my family to Disney World for the first time would be Christmas break of 2018, or March of 2019. Our dream hotel would be Port Orleans Riverside, but I have been following this thread enough to see that POR is most likely excluded for December. I need advice from experts who have been many times that can help a newbie... Should i book a place like Coronado for December with free dining, or wait until 2019 prices drop and see if a RO discount for POR comes out for March. Which would likely save me more? Free dining in December or waiting for March of 2019? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be up at 3am with all of you :)

So if I already have a reservation (that I’ve been making payments toward) for a resort not included in the FD promotion, should I be calling when they open to switch or just going online and booking a new reservation, then cancelling my original? Seems like that could be a mess! Never done this before!
You can use the reservation that you have, just go online and change the resort to get free dining when it comes out.

Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck! It’s always exciting (and scary) when these boards and the Disney site goes down, leaving us to hopes and prayers of FD. Looking forward to getting past this stage (for better or worse) and on to FP+’s.

Honestly, I'd go online to book the FD promo and then cancel the existing reservation. You'll be able to book online hours before the reservations line opens. Plus, in years past people have posted on the Dis stories about hours long hold times when calling.

I know everyone is talking about RO discounts dropping the same day as FD but right now (I am in Canada) i see the incredible summer offer posted for my dates which are aug 17th-26th and giving discounts of 20% off or something as I can't check as I'm just getting an error page. in the details of that promo it says only until aug 1st.. are canadians extended or something? does anyone get that promo? I am just trying to crunch numbers to see what the cost comparison is. We are 4 disney adults and 1 child. looking to stay at CBR and upgrade the DP or if the price to deluxe isn't much more possibly that since I am nervous of CBR construction. if this is the best RO discount I can do perhaps I should just book so I can get the room i want-- if not, it will just fill with FDing.
The offer I got in the mail and online said... stays most night 6/11-8/30 and had to be booked by 8/1. It was up to 20% off room. I think that is the same as the website promo. I am in Oklahoma.

You can use the reservation that you have, just go online and change the resort to get free dining when it comes out.

So if I have a booked resort and I want to change the resort, I can do that online as well? I have never booked or modified online so I am not at all sure of myself.

Are DVC members excluded from free dining? I’m not one....asking for a friend who is. She didn’t think she was allowed to get free dining but thought I’d double check. She has an August trip already booked.

So if I have a booked resort and I want to change the resort, I can do that online as well? I have never booked or modified online so I am not at all sure of myself.
If your change/modify button works, use it. If not make a new reservation. Don't worry. It's quick and easy.

I teach elementary school, so my options to take my family to Disney World for the first time would be Christmas break of 2018, or March of 2019. Our dream hotel would be Port Orleans Riverside, but I have been following this thread enough to see that POR is most likely excluded for December. I need advice from experts who have been many times that can help a newbie... Should i book a place like Coronado for December with free dining, or wait until 2019 prices drop and see if a RO discount for POR comes out for March. Which would likely save me more? Free dining in December or waiting for March of 2019? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be up at 3am with all of you :)
I would definitely book something with FD over Christmas now if you can. You have lots of time to cancel it if you want if you decide you'd rather go in March. If you want a moderate, I'd choose CSR over CBR. But I'd also consider Pop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter