2016 WDW Marathon Journey (Comments Welcome)

The lakes are very nice, but at times parking can be a problem depending on the time you get there. VS group is a free group with people in various abilities. You can check out there calendar via the there website and see upcoming training runs that have planned. the Saturday runs (long runs) are usually posted later in the week along with a short explanation and a link of the route from mapmyrun.com. Just introduce yourself and you will be able to find a group with the same goals as yours. The marathon and half training groups should be starting up soon, so keep an eye on it. Congrats on getting into running, I promise when it cools down this fall it gets a lot easier even though the miles are increasing. Good luck with training and GEAUX TIGERS!

I finally found the time to sit down and read through everything so far.

I really appreciated reading your two Boston Marathon recaps. I lived in Newton for a few years, so I'm somewhat familiar with that part of the course. On years when we didn't have school on Patriot's Day (some years we did), a few of my friends would go down to Heartbreak Hill and cheer on the runners from there, so I definitely knew what you meant when you said that you can't stop because of the spectators. That said ... 2013 absolutely changed how I think about the marathon. I can't imagine how scary it must have been, but I'm glad you guys made it through okay and you were able to go back to run (and finish!) Boston in 2014.

I think you're doing great at getting runs in. It's definitely hard to have to head to the treadmill when the weather gets too hot, but ... safety first. I'm definitely hoping you get some better weather soon so that you can head back outside!

I finally found the time to sit down and read through everything so far.

I really appreciated reading your two Boston Marathon recaps. I lived in Newton for a few years, so I'm somewhat familiar with that part of the course. On years when we didn't have school on Patriot's Day (some years we did), a few of my friends would go down to Heartbreak Hill and cheer on the runners from there, so I definitely knew what you meant when you said that you can't stop because of the spectators. That said ... 2013 absolutely changed how I think about the marathon. I can't imagine how scary it must have been, but I'm glad you guys made it through okay and you were able to go back to run (and finish!) Boston in 2014.

I think you're doing great at getting runs in. It's definitely hard to have to head to the treadmill when the weather gets too hot, but ... safety first. I'm definitely hoping you get some better weather soon so that you can head back outside!

Thanks for taking the time to read everything. Going back in 2014 was a big deal for us and it felt great to be a part of it. As far as the weather goes, we are a good 6-8 weeks away from some decent weather. I try to get my shorter runs done outside because I can wait later in the afternoon to get them in and the sun isn't as big of a factor. The longer midweek runs on the TM allow me to get through the remainder of the runs without feeling to beat up before the weekend long run. I do hate the TM... its so boring. I have no idea how people train up north for a early spring marathon while having to get 15-20 mile runs on those things every weekend as well as the mid week runs. Thanks again for taking some time to read and comment.

Running Week Recap 8/10 - 8/16
8/10 - 4 Mi @ 8:01/Mi
8/12 - 5 Mi @ 8:00/Mi + 1 Mi Cool Down
8/13 - 7.5 Mi @ 8:21/Mi TM
8/14 - 4 Mi @ 7:50/Mi
8/15 - 12 Mi @ 8:32/Mi

Got some relief from the heat towards the end of last week and finally getting some rain this week! I pushed a little to hard on Fridays run, which slowed the pace a bit for Saturdays run. Total for last week is 33.52 Mi and 70.31 Mi for the month so far. This week I plan on increasing my mileage ~10%, and based on the forecast, it looks like a good week to do so. 3 more weeks before marathon training starts!

Some interesting events from Saturdays run.
1. I got asked where the golf course was, and since I am terrible at remembering street names I am sure the guy was more confused after my description of how to get there. The guy had a smart phone... probably would have been better to ask Siri.
2. While passing in front of Tiger Stadium and Mikes habitat, a incoming freshmen asked me (why I have no idea) if I think it would be ok for him to run some laps on LSU's track because the gate was open. I told him it was probably frowned upon and would likely result in him getting in trouble if caught. He then went on to tell me he plans to walk-on the track team. I wished him good luck and I don't think he went on the track.

I probably look like a deer caught in headlights when someone talks to me when I am out running. My mind is usually wondering about random things and not expecting these types of interactions. Anyone with similar experiences?

Got some relief from the heat towards the end of last week and finally getting some rain this week! I pushed a little to hard on Fridays run, which slowed the pace a bit for Saturdays run. Total for last week is 33.52 Mi and 70.31 Mi for the month so far. This week I plan on increasing my mileage ~10%, and based on the forecast, it looks like a good week to do so. 3 more weeks before marathon training starts!

1. I got asked where the golf course was, and since I am terrible at remembering street names I am sure the guy was more confused after my description of how to get there. The guy had a smart phone... probably would have been better to ask Siri.
2. While passing in front of Tiger Stadium and Mikes habitat, a incoming freshmen asked me (why I have no idea) if I think it would be ok for him to run some laps on LSU's track because the gate was open. I told him it was probably frowned upon and would likely result in him getting in trouble if caught. He then went on to tell me he plans to walk-on the track team. I wished him good luck and I don't think he went on the track.

I probably look like a deer caught in headlights when someone talks to me when I am out running. My mind is usually wondering about random things and not expecting these types of interactions. Anyone with similar experiences?

The track at LSU is so nice, I'm surprised that the gate was open. And good luck to the little freshman guy-I can't imagine it would be that easy to walk on that track team!
I love Mike's habitat! So you've got me thinking about running around the campus...that's a great place and seems like it would be pretty safe for a woman! Where do you park when you run around there?

I give really bad directions too. I don't know names of streets either, or I just know the local names not the official highway numbers. And that's before I've even ran a step.

Finally some rain and cooler temps....hope that keeps up b/c this heat has been, well, HOT!
Keep up the great work!

The track at LSU is so nice, I'm surprised that the gate was open. And good luck to the little freshman guy-I can't imagine it would be that easy to walk on that track team!
I love Mike's habitat! So you've got me thinking about running around the campus...that's a great place and seems like it would be pretty safe for a woman! Where do you park when you run around there?

I give really bad directions too. I don't know names of streets either, or I just know the local names not the official highway numbers. And that's before I've even ran a step.

Finally some rain and cooler temps....hope that keeps up b/c this heat has been, well, HOT!
Keep up the great work!

I think it would be tough to "walk-on" to the track team as well, but if you have a dream, go for it! Mike has a really nice area, unfortunately he was not out Saturday morning. I normally park at Baton Rouge Beach and run along the lakes until I get by the REC. I follow that road towards the stadium and then around it to see Mike. Run up Victory hill and try to pass around Tower and the parade grounds, then back to Dalrymple to the lakes and add a few miles from there back to BRB. I am not sure where would be a good place to park on campus since school is starting up soon and then home games will make it even more difficult the park. If you don't want to run from the lakes you could park by the Vet school and run to campus from there as well as the levee. The top of the levee is without shade and gets HOT, so I would run that portion early in the run. There is a water fountain at the top.

People don't try to talk to me that often when I run just because I have my earphones in, but when they do ... it always takes me a bit to grasp what they're saying.
Even when I run into my sister (we tend to sometimes run around the same time, so we'll cross paths), if she tries to talk to me I don't quite register it right away.
I think that when you're focusing on your running or thinking about something, it's hard to switch gears to something else. It's completely normal (to me at least).

Well the cold that DW and DD are just getting over has decided to introduce itself to me. I feel drunk and fatigued. Odds are my training runs are going to have to take a back seat until I feel better.

Feeling better today. I will take a rest day today and resume tomorrow with my scheduled long run as long as things don't go south. Getting plenty of rain this week, which is keeping the temps down. The trade of is higher humidity, but it still feels better than the last few weeks.

Yeah, same here. I have to take about 10 seconds to consider the question before I have any chance of putting together a coherent answer to even the simplest questions in I am in my running "zone".

We chatted on the Marathon weekend board so I thought I'd drop in over here too. I hope you get a break in the temps to make it a little more bearable to run outside. With you'r weekly long runs bouncing between 12 and 14 you wouldn't have to add much milage on Higdon's plan.

Yeah, same here. I have to take about 10 seconds to consider the question before I have any chance of putting together a coherent answer to even the simplest questions in I am in my running "zone".
Glad to know I am not the only one then. Majority of the time, I have to ask them to repeat the question again because I have no idea what they just asked. So, BuckeyeBama, which is it. Bama or the Buckeyes? Why both?

Glad to know I am not the only one then. Majority of the time, I have to ask them to repeat the question again because I have no idea what they just asked. So, BuckeyeBama, which is it. Bama or the Buckeyes? Why both?
I went to Alabama, then spent many years in Columbus. I love both schools, but was not happy with the outcome in January so I clearly love Bama more.

Yeah, I am a Bama fan, but one who has come to love the sport more than just my school.

I have 2 very good friends who are LSU alumni and I am in LA on business a few times each year, so I also appreciate the culture of your state (though you will never hear me cheer Geaux Tigers).

We chatted on the Marathon weekend board so I thought I'd drop in over here too. I hope you get a break in the temps to make it a little more bearable to run outside. With you'r weekly long runs bouncing between 12 and 14 you wouldn't have to add much milage on Higdon's plan.
Thanks for stopping by. For the time being, these are just base mile runs with some effort given towards a half in mid October. Marathon training starts 9-7-15 and the 12-14 milers will either be recovery runs or the majority of the miles at MRP. I would like the first few weeks of the plan to be time to improve my runs instead of a struggle to complete them. It's been a while since I reviewed his plans, but if I remember it's 6 days of running with two of the longer runs being back to back. He has some interesting plans/concepts. For some reason I like to punish myself with the advanced marathoning training plan (18/55).

I went to Alabama, then spent many years in Columbus. I love both schools, but was not happy with the outcome in January so I clearly love Bama more.

Yeah, I am a Bama fan, but one who has come to love the sport more than just my school.

I have 2 very good friends who are LSU alumni and I am in LA on business a few times each year, so I also appreciate the culture of your state (though you will never hear me cheer Geaux Tigers).

Got you, I was curious about the name. Its always a interesting match up between our two schools in early November. I think we are due for the W this year, but our coach is Les Miles... so who knows what will happen. I don't think you will hear many/any Tigers fans say "roll tide" either, so I understand. Good luck with your training and hope your teams do well until we play against one another.

My brain really zones out when I run. Last year during marathon weekend I pulled my phone out my my spi-belt to take a picture of the castle on main street. When I shoved it back in I must have hit repeat, because I listened to the same song for the rest of the marathon. By the time I was in Animal Kingdom I realized what was going on, but didn't want to stop to futz with it.

Running Week Recap 8/17 - 8/23
8/17 - 8 Mi @ 8:32/Mi TM
8/18 - 3.1 Mi @8:00/Mi
8/19 - 7 Mi w/ 3@ MRP 8:08/Mi
8/21 - 15 Mi @ 8:50/Mi
8/22 - 4 Mi @ 8:14/Mi

Week Total = 37.12
August Total = 107.42

The runs on the 18 & 19 had some nice paces, although the warm up miles slowed the overall average down. The 15 miler was a ok run. I started at 5:45AM and the weather wasn't to bad, and really didn't get to warm (Low 80's & a Bazillion % RH). I think I was due for a easy paced run. For some reason, 15 miles is my slowest paced distance. I think it's just a mental thing, and its not a distance I normally run. I have another one scheduled in ~ 2 weeks, and I will be interested in seeing if I can improve. Last week is also my high mileage week for this month. The cold I thought I only had to deal with for a few days, made a full return Saturday night and now it's going to cause some problems. I will try to take it easy early this week, but we have a COLD FRONT coming through Tuesday evening. Wednesday morning and for a few days after, we will have lows below 65! :banana:I cant imagine how happy I will be when we get into the low 40 and 30's!

Great paces! Sorry about your cold, summer colds are the worst.
I can't wait for this COLD FRONT...sounds divine!

Wow, you do have some awesome paces and PRs. I'm totally struggling with my speed work and next week in the half-marathon I just hope I can get under 2 hours. Actually I know I can do that, but I'm worried it will be 1:59. I was hoping to use that race as a proof of time for the jan marathon but I doubt that will happen. I'll have to follow the plans you all follow. Right now if I even sniff below 8min/mile it feels like I'm sprinting - I don't know what it is. I've run a 10K in 48 min, but I trained myself to run the darn half in 2 hours and not faster and now I'm screwed until the next opportunity in Jan. Oh well...hopefully I get lucky somehow over the next week and shave some time off somewhere. You, and many on these boards, are inspiring and challenging me to be better.

Wow, you do have some awesome paces and PRs. I'm totally struggling with my speed work and next week in the half-marathon I just hope I can get under 2 hours. Actually I know I can do that, but I'm worried it will be 1:59. I was hoping to use that race as a proof of time for the jan marathon but I doubt that will happen. I'll have to follow the plans you all follow. Right now if I even sniff below 8min/mile it feels like I'm sprinting - I don't know what it is. I've run a 10K in 48 min, but I trained myself to run the darn half in 2 hours and not faster and now I'm screwed until the next opportunity in Jan. Oh well...hopefully I get lucky somehow over the next week and shave some time off somewhere. You, and many on these boards, are inspiring and challenging me to be better.

Thanks for commenting and the compliment. 1:59:59 is still under 2 hours, which is a nice goal. You got it, and you trained for it! Where is you half next week? Your paces could be a slow right now because of the heat, so I wouldn't worry about it to much. It is difficult to get a PR in the summer for any race, much less a half. What is your current PR for the half? Are you running the half and marathon for Disney, and will this be your first full? You asked about training plans, if you are running 30 miles or more a week I would recommend Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger & Scott Douglas. It has a few different plans, and your experience would determine which one to pick. The easiest one (The one I use)requires you to have a base of running 30-35 MPW for a few weeks and a few long runs of ~10+ miles. Since your training for a half this may be suitable for you. The plan is the 18/55 which means 18 weeks with a peak of 55 miles in one week. The book includes a lot of useful information explaining the goal of each workout and some of the science behind it. This plan would work out perfect for you as 18 weeks starts right after your half. If you have any questions about the book, feel free to ask.
Wanted to add that since your half is next week, this is not the time to introduce speed work. You will show up race day with tired legs and will underperform. Just stick with what you have been doing and next week should be a taper of sorts to keep you fresh for the race. Good luck next week and let me know how it goes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter