2016 Disneyland Paris Half Marathon

I am so freaking torn about this one. I was pretty much out until I saw the dates - that's the 10-year anniversary of the first trip I made with my (then boyfriend, now ...) husband to Paris. Down to the freaking day.

I guess I will have to wait and see what it looks like when pricing and things come out. At most, we'll spend the day before and the day of out by the parks. The rest of the time, I want to be in Paris-proper - probably in Saint-Germain-des-Pres where I have my favorite places and spaces. And I won't need plane tickets either.

I'm hoping the package thing is just like it has been with travel providers for other races. Go through a travel agent, get a hotel/ticket option. Otherwise, booking a package with airfare, etc., at a set number of nights will definitely force my hand.

I am so freaking torn about this one. I was pretty much out until I saw the dates - that's the 10-year anniversary of the first trip I made with my (then boyfriend, now ...) husband to Paris. Down to the freaking day.

I guess I will have to wait and see what it looks like when pricing and things come out. At most, we'll spend the day before and the day of out by the parks. The rest of the time, I want to be in Paris-proper - probably in Saint-Germain-des-Pres where I have my favorite places and spaces. And I won't need plane tickets either.

I'm hoping the package thing is just like it has been with travel providers for other races. Go through a travel agent, get a hotel/ticket option. Otherwise, booking a package with airfare, etc., at a set number of nights will definitely force my hand.

Oooh I hope it works out for you to sign up! I'm assuming there will be standard race entry as well. Impatiently waiting for more info! :mad:

Last time I visited Disneyland we stayed in central Paris and just got the train out but I imagine for this I'll stay on site or close by for the day of the run.

I've never been to DLP, but my traveling companions have multiple times. They are suggesting on-site stays as they know how runDisney works State-side and how early they need to get up to see me off at the start line. They feel a commute from Paris proper would be near impossible or hugely over priced for the time of day we anticipate needing to be there.

I've never been to DLP, but my traveling companions have multiple times. They are suggesting on-site stays as they know how runDisney works State-side and how early they need to get up to see me off at the start line. They feel a commute from Paris proper would be near impossible or hugely over priced for the time of day we anticipate needing to be there.

Onsite was WAY too expensive for us. Luckily there are plenty of other more budget friendly places in close proximity. We stayed in Val d'Europe (just across the road from the train station - only one stop to DLP) for about half of the price of the cheapest onsite option. And the hotel was much nicer than the budget Disney options too!

Onsite was WAY too expensive for us. Luckily there are plenty of other more budget friendly places in close proximity. We stayed in Val d'Europe (just across the road from the train station - only one stop to DLP) for about half of the price of the cheapest onsite option. And the hotel was much nicer than the budget Disney options too!

If we need to be at the starting line at "Before the Rooster Crows" o'clock, will the metro line be running? Would we need to take a taxi?

If we need to be at the starting line at "Before the Rooster Crows" o'clock, will the metro line be running? Would we need to take a taxi?

I haven't stayed out by the parks, but you can't take the Paris Metro directly to Disneyland. You will need to take an RER/Regional train to Chessy (I believe, I haven't had my coffee yet so I could just be making that station up). Your best bet - if you want to split time between Paris and DLP - is to take the train during the day from Paris to DLP and stay at one of the most cost-effective hotels for the night before the race.

I don't know what time RER trains start/stop running, but the Paris Metro itself runs 5:30-12:30 a.m. on weekdays, and 5:30-2:30 a.m. on weekends.

Just remember, DLP is not in Paris proper. It's about 35 minutes away by regional train.

That said - above is the extent of my knowledge on getting to DLP as we've never been. I haven't been able to convince the husband to take (at minimum) two days out of a 7-day trip to Paris to go out to the park and back.

As of now, we are planning three at DLP and six in Paris. I am the only one out of our group of four that hasn't been to DLP, so I am sort of relying upon their experience to guide is, but I always like to hear other people's experiences and opinions, because they might have found a better way--or a way that we want to be sure to avoid.

I just need to remember to keep taking deep breaths and to stay calm. It's not for another 16 months......

As of now, we are planning three at DLP and six in Paris. I am the only one out of our group of four that hasn't been to DLP, so I am sort of relying upon their experience to guide is, but I always like to hear other people's experiences and opinions, because they might have found a better way--or a way that we want to be sure to avoid.

I just need to remember to keep taking deep breaths and to stay calm. It's not for another 16 months......

I can't speak to the time in the park combined with the race, but I feel like three days would be enough to accomplish everything you want to do. I guess it just depends what race structure they decide to do. Will it be like Wine & Dine where it's just a 5K and a half? Or will it be a three-race weekend? I wish they would tell people this soon ...

As for the time in Paris, six days is the minimum I would do - especially if you plan on spending any "immersive" time like touring the Louvre or Musee d'Orsay, climbing to the top of the Eiffel Tower or the Arc de Triomphe or exploring Notre Dame or Sacre-Cour. You could easily spend a full day at any of the museums and Notre Dame and not truly experience everything. Paris is such an amazing, beautiful, trip of a lifetime city ... you can't really experience the true beauty of it if you are racing around trying to do everything.

On top of that, there's all the chances for dining in Paris. Cooking classes, a trip down the Seine or just exploring the city on foot. Paris is an extremely walkable city (if you don't mind walking!). And when the weather is pretty, there's nothing I'd rather do than grab a picnic and read on the grounds beside the Eiffel Tower or enjoy a bench in Luxembourg Gardens. And every day, we take a few hours in the afternoon to sit on a cafe patio, drink wine and people-watch/read/chat/write postcards back home. Dining is a VERY leisurely experience, and I just love that.

If you did need to take a taxi, it's only a 5 minute drive from Val d'Europe, so it wouldn't be much. FWIW, they did also have a free shuttle which they may put on earlier for runners.

Lol! Plenty of time for planning :thumbsup2

I know I'm in the minority, but I've actually never been interested in visiting Paris. I'm not a big city person, I'm not into history or art and pretty much thought all the old buildings would look the same. Therefore, we spent one night in Paris on arrival (before heading of to Austria and Switzerland which I was dying to see!), then another 2 nights before we hit DLP. We spent our first day walking around the city, starting with the Notre Dame Cathedral, then headed around through the Louvre courtyard and gardens down to Champs d'Elysee, then back to the hotel along the river. A week later, we spent our first afternoon taking a horse carriage ride through the city. The next day we did a cycling tour with Fat Tire, then in the evening we went and watched the sparkling lights at the Eiffel Tower. The next morning we had a tour booked at the Eiffel Tower, but it was closed due to snow and ice, so the tour was cancelled. We decided to get our view fix from the Arc d'Triomphe instead. It was actually nice because the Eiffel Tower was in the view! Although I would still like to get to the top of Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower, I don't feel like I really need any more time in Paris.

We actually spent 5 nights at DLP, which most people would consider overkill. We have a very relaxed touring style though, so it allowed us plenty of time to enjoy everything without having to rush around. There were a few closures (scheduled and due to the weather), and although it was considered low season, it was actually pretty busy, so there were some long lines. I felt like it was enough time for me, but I'd still like to go back one day.

Very excited to start planning! DH and I are still new to running and rundisney, but we were already planning a trip to France next September, so it's only natural we would make it for the race! I hope we get more information soon about what races they're going to have. I also hope everything won't be package based pricing bc were dvc members.

So I got the runDisney email and when straight to the website for more information. It says (in multiple places) June 24, 2016?! Is that just a really big typo or did the date change?

Booking and registration starts October 2015, but I won't be going if the race has been moved to June.

Now the links aren't working - probably as they scramble to correct those mistakes! :rolleyes: I hope this isn't an indication of the level of organization for the event itself.

Now the links aren't working - probably as they scramble to correct those mistakes! :rolleyes: I hope this isn't an indication of the level of organization for the event itself.

Disney's not nearly as bad as Competitor (RnR) when it comes to the first running of an event, but they've been know to have a few bobbles along the way.

It looks like they are trying to get people to book through a TA? The webpage seems to promote the package booking, & says only "limited" individual spots will be available for registration Jan. 12.

http://run.disneylandparis.com/bookings

That's the impression I get from looking at the website. The limited individual spots seems like another way of saying, "whatever spots aren't sold through TA by Jan. 12." Doesn't seem like a commitment to actually have open spots come Jan. 12th for people looking to book their own travel.

The big takeaways I got were package bookings October 6, limited number of race registrations January 12, that there's a 5K (no 10K or challenge), but there is a "Castle to Chateau" challenge. I personally think "Continent to Continent" has a better ring to it, but what do I know?? :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter