2016-2017 Race Calendar Posted online

What's everyone marking their calendars for in the 2016-2017 season?

I know I'm definitely planning on the 5K + Dumbo at Disneyland in 2016. We just had so much fun as a group at that one, we've already started the planning.

The Florida races are obviously the easiest for me, since I have a free place to stay - but I just don't know that the Star Wars concept interests me.

After Dopey maybe Wine & Dine. I wish there was an Oct WDW race to replace the Tower hole. My parents are doing the WDW Star Wars 5k & 10k, first Run Disney races for them, so I'm excited even though it's not me.

I'd like to do both Star Wars events, plus Paris and Wine and Dine.
But after "overdoing it" this year (I keep adding other events to my calendar), looks like no Disney for the Slogger family for a while. Cue the sad music please.

Jan - Disney World Dopey
Jan - Disneyland Rebel Challenge (Coast-to-Coast medal)
Apr - Disney World 5k + Dark Side Challenge (Star Wars Coast-to-Coast medal)

I wanted to do the Paris half but I think I'll wait one more year - maybe do the Disneyland Dumbo again, or Avengers (not sure).

Okay this is a little insane,we're just getting into the 2015-2016 race season and I'm already having to start thinking about races as far ahead as Star Wars in April 2017.I do like 7-8 races outside of Disney and I'm doing 3 Disney ones this season or 4 since I'm doing the Dark Side challenge.I think for 2016-2017 I'll stick to my Disney full and probably Wine and Dine,but in the end I'll probably end up doing another one,I would love for that third one to be a new version of ToT in 2017.

Okay this is a little insane,we're just getting into the 2015-2016 race season and I'm already having to start thinking about races as far ahead as Star Wars in April 2017.I do like 7-8 races outside of Disney and I'm doing 3 Disney ones this season or 4 since I'm doing the Dark Side challenge.I think for 2016-2017 I'll stick to my Disney full and probably Wine and Dine,but in the end I'll probably end up doing another one,I would love for that third one to be a new version of ToT in 2017.

I totally get that. I've got Disneyland, W&D, Marathon, Princess and Tinkerbell on the books for 2015-16.

I'm thinking I'll pick the ones I like the most out of those going forward for 16-17 and focus on more destination races - like San Diego, NYC half, the Paris Half in March, etc.

W&D, January Full, Princess GSC, Star Wars DSC are already signed up for. Beyond that I wasn't planning to run another RunDisney event until Dopey 2018.

I have a great friend that is planning to run the full in 2017 for her 60th birthday. So if she signs up I will run it with her. I am now planning to run in a few more local events.

The Coin being dropped for all of the Disney events this year is a bit much.

I want to do Ft Lauderdale Half, the Miami Halloween half that Doom1001 has talked about, Space Coast half, Key West has a sprint triathlon I want to do, there is the Excalibur 10miler that looks really fun to do, plus a few other sprint tri's and maybe a Olympic tri. My goal is to finish an Ironman in 3 1/2 years when I hit 60.

Current plan is Disneyland Half (and possibly also 5K, depending on our schedules). Then taking 2017 off (instead I'll probably either run something local or do the Hershey Park Half Marathon) to save up for Coast-to-Coast in 2018.

I think I may take a break after Tink in 2016. Maybe do a late 2017 race like W&D but there are other places I want to travel and doing too many races may prevent that.

I know I'm definitely planning on the 5K + Dumbo at Disneyland in 2016. We just had so much fun as a group at that one, we've already started the planning.

The Florida races are obviously the easiest for me, since I have a free place to stay - but I just don't know that the Star Wars concept interests me.

For 2016 I'm doing Marathon, Star Wars Dark Side, and Tinker Bell and hoping to do both Star Wars weekends in 2017 (I did inaugural DL, doing inaugural WDW, now need to get that Kessel Run medal! Lifelong SW fan here). I live about 2 hours from WDW, so rD races are way too tempting, in addition to the other local races I run. I'm hoping that TOT comes back in the next couple years - I ran it last year with horrible IT band issues and was miserable the whole time. A do-over would sure be nice!

I have really been thinking about the Pike's Peak marathon. Totally different training involved, so I might make that my main "goal" race for 2017. I turn 50 in 2017, and this would be a huge challenge, so something to consider. Also looking at the Comrades, though it is an "up" run in 2017.

I want to do Ft Lauderdale Half, the Miami Halloween half that Doom1001 has talked about, Space Coast half, Key West has a sprint triathlon I want to do, there is the Excalibur 10miler that looks really fun to do, plus a few other sprint tri's and maybe a Olympic tri. My goal is to finish an Ironman in 3 1/2 years when I hit 60.

The Miami Beach Halloween half is in 2 weeks,I believe registration is still open.Take a look at the Frankenstein medal and shirt on their Facebook page if you want some extra incentive to do it.The course is also really pretty and a big percentage of runners run in costume.Out of all the South Florida races its my favorite,I'm not even doing the Miami marathon this year,but the Halloween one I'll always sign up for.

The Miami Beach Halloween half is in 2 weeks,I believe registration is still open.Take a look at the Frankenstein medal and shirt on their Facebook page if you want some extra incentive to do it.The course is also really pretty and a big percentage of runners run in costume.Out of all the South Florida races its my favorite,I'm not even doing the Miami marathon this year,but the Halloween one I'll always sign up for.

Thanks for the info. I will have to do this one next year. In 2 weeks I am going to be at the Cocoa Beach Half marathon, then on to the Wine and Dine.

I have really been thinking about the Pike's Peak marathon. Totally different training involved, so I might make that my main "goal" race for 2017. I turn 50 in 2017, and this would be a huge challenge, so something to consider. Also looking at the Comrades, though it is an "up" run in 2017.

The down run has plenty of climbing too. It's actually harder on your legs than the up run.

I'm trying to figure out how to finance the Kessel Run Challenge in 2017 (40th anniversary of STAR WARS).
I don't know what costumes I'll be wearing yet other than Heroes for Rebel Challenge and Villains for Dark Side Challenge. Also considering a full blown Millennium Falcon 'costume' for the half in both races, AKA 'making the Kessel Run'. :p

The down run has plenty of climbing too. It's actually harder on your legs than the up run.

Hey@FFigawi!!
I'm starting to think the only races you haven't done are ones they haven't created yet!
;)

I'm in for W&D, Goofy, SWDS, and Tink...
Considering a blast to Princess so eligible for the pink c2c.... But it is becoming a very pricy medal!
Looking at kessel run for 2017,
Would like to do the ( non Disney) Gasparilla challenge next year! .... And picking up names of some other great races here too!

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out how to finance the Kessel Run Challenge in 2017 (40th anniversary of STAR WARS).
I don't know what costumes I'll be wearing yet other than Heroes for Rebel Challenge and Villains for Dark Side Challenge. Also considering a full blown Millennium Falcon 'costume' for the half in both races, AKA 'making the Kessel Run'. :p

You may want to hold off on your costume. Remember you will have costume options when episode vii comes out in dec this year too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter