(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
One year we had the GF call a taxi for us because at the resort stop before the GF, guests got on who were not supposed to be on and it ended up not being enough seats for all of us. We had to get off even though it was our departure time. Having said that, the taxi picked us up three hours prior to departure. It was enough time, but the lines were terrible through security. Personally, I would go three hours in advance.

For the first time in years, I have booked Tiffany Town Car instead of using the Magical Express to get us to and from the GF. On my departure day, they have scheduled my pickup for two hours before my flight (pickup at 5:00 pm for 7:00 pm flight) For those of you that have used town cars from the GF, do you think that is enough time? TIA.

It's been a few years since we've been to Disney, but we've always used Tiffany Town Car and have never had a problem with a pick up 2 hour priors to our flight. With that said, everyone has their own preference/level of comfort, so if you're used to 3 hours prior with DME, you could maybe ask them for an earlier pick up.

Just returned from a 12-night stay at the GF. Couple notes:

- the bus stop was back to its normal location on Friday Sept 1. It had been at the main entrance for the rest of the stay with no tv.

- I found the laundry rooms. They are supposedly in room x111 of each garden building. (Off the lobby across from ice machine room). They have 2 washers & dryers per building. Better than having to drag your clothes outside. ;)

- loved the security at resort monorails. Never a line. The only pain was going to Epcot because you had your resort security & then Epcot security when you switched monorails. It was very busy one day at Epcot so just slightly frustrating.

- We did experience the monorail going down a few times. It was frustrating that they couldn't give us a time range. They told us to bus to the MK ... or boat first to Poly then MK. It was around dinner time. The line for buses and boat was a good 100 each. We just waited for monorail in lobby. Was running 20 min after.

The GF was my DD17 bucket choice. She wanted to stay on the monorail line and I got a very discounted agency room. We requested a quiet room in Sago Cay on the monorail side. Room was available on arrival, and when we entered, she saw the monorail zip by. Disney magic. Room was really nice no problems with Mousekeeping. Pool wasn't our favourite as there were never any seats available and always super busy - that was the "quiet" pool. We never went to beach one.

Personally, I prefer to walk so i did not like being dependent on Disney transportation to get to to the parks. I much prefer any of the Epcot resort hotels where we can walk to Epcot and DHS. Monorails are not a draw to me. We will stick to that area from now on. One and done.

View from Boca Chica 8408.

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

This is lobby exit from BC facing the water .
IMG_2173.JPG IMG_2174.JPG

Our room 4th, floor last one full balcony !

IMG_2180.JPG
Narcoossee's
IMG_2210.JPG
Morning view
IMG_2261.JPG IMG_2268.JPG
No desserts at mixners so she said you can go get and bring back so we did . Great finale ! You know I love those sticky buns!!!

IMG_2281.JPG

Last we just showered at beach pool so all fresh for magical depress!

View from Boca Chica 8408.

View attachment 267085

View attachment 267086

This is lobby exit from BC facing the water .
View attachment 267087 View attachment 267088

Our room 4th, floor last one full balcony !

View attachment 267089
Narcoossee's
View attachment 267090
Morning view
View attachment 267091 View attachment 267092
No desserts at mixners so she said you can go get and bring back so we did . Great finale ! You know I love those sticky buns!!!

View attachment 267093

Last we just showered at beach pool so all fresh for magical depress!

Looks fabulous!! Thanks for posting the pics :thumbsup2.

For the first time in years, I have booked Tiffany Town Car instead of using the Magical Express to get us to and from the GF. On my departure day, they have scheduled my pickup for two hours before my flight (pickup at 5:00 pm for 7:00 pm flight) For those of you that have used town cars from the GF, do you think that is enough time? TIA.

We routinely use a car service and find 2 hours is perfect for us. Caveat that we have pre-check and also Clear, so I can't vouch for what the normal security line is like. I always read about MCO security horror stories but frankly the normal line never really looks that long to me??

We routinely use a car service and find 2 hours is perfect for us. Caveat that we have pre-check and also Clear, so I can't vouch for what the normal security line is like. I always read about MCO security horror stories but frankly the normal line never really looks that long to me??
My DM requires a chair to get from one end of airports to another. So, we have assistance to help us through security queues. It usually cuts the wait time in half. But, not always at MCO. We have found that security lines become hectic from mid to late morning and appalling from the early afternoon! We use a car service, too. Two hours before the flight is fine for morning flights. But, we allow extra time for a later flight departures.

Some quick thoughts.

Wow what a truly relaxing resort. It seems with each stay I appreciate the Grand more and more. The cms everywhere all are so nice. I love all the warm greetings, :wave2:
I did my 'time the boat back' from MK to Ewp 1 night and fireworks the next. That is as fun as any ride IMO.:sail:

Finally tried Narcoossee's. The bartender while we waited treated us like we were the most special people he has ever waited on. So sweet and memorable :flower3:

Gaspies for a quick night snack, coffee and desserts during our stay all went well. Nice little spot!::yes::

The deep end of the courtyard pool after walking F&W for lunch was just ahhhhhhhh! Love the music and the palm trees and the gf view! :goodvibes

Finally did a picture with Richard who said I turned 92 in June. :flower1:

Traveling with dh who goes to WDW far less that I , made me realize how much I do know lol. I had to keep directing him, explaining things, etc. at home I work for him. This was a nice treat for him because I would just say "do you want to a,b, or c?" And then get it. Half the time he didn't even know the options were available :thumbsup2

Lastly for Epcot the mono to mono transfer in 90 heat was annoying, the air on them was not good. We ended up leaving by walking to bc and bus to MK then boat from MK to gf and reverse. Seemed faster that way too.

Last I face timed mom and pointed to the main building " that's where we are staying in December mom!", she actually squealed. She will love rpc ! :worship:

Yep, I was ok with non cl this trip. Sandwiched in between a sl and rpc trips it was a nice change. The biggest advantage is flexibility. You may save a little $ too although now in the app you can see your running total and we were close to what I would have normally paid for the upgrade. so basically with cl I pay for lunches whereas this trip same price for cl only with lunch included.

I missed grabbing coffee in am and drinks during the day. I didn't really miss evening stuff.
So Labor Day special was a hit and I think next year may be in the cards for us again :cool1:

Last edited:
Lastly for Epcot the mono to mono transfer in 90 heat was annoying, the air on them was not good. We ended up leaving by walking to bc and bus to MK then boat from MK to gf and reverse. Seemed faster that way too.

Thanks for posting your mini trip report. It sounds like your husband enjoyed having such a knowledgeable tour guide. ;)

The double monorail to Epcot was basically the only thing we didn't like about staying at the GF. We've solved the problem, though, with our split stay GF/BC in November. :)

Thanks for posting your mini trip report. It sounds like your husband enjoyed having such a knowledgeable tour guide. ;)

The double monorail to Epcot was basically the only thing we didn't like about staying at the GF. We've solved the problem, though, with our split stay GF/BC in November. :)
Thanks!

Ya with mom I did a bw/gf split so we do the parks near each.

For dd next month I have poly. Great for MNSSHP then walk to ttc for F&W.

Random non gf/ I know you love WL too. We boated over yesterday and had lunch at WCC.(?) Love the ketchup! I hadn't been there in a few years. We walked over and checked on the cabins and new outdoor bar area. All looks great but DH will pick GF over others everytime with BLT a close 2nd.

Me I really do find something to enjoy about them all.

Oh I also got a text from GF reminding me that as a 45th anniversary reward you get 20%off meals at all 3 gf restaurants. Very nice. I also got a good bye text. Nice touches for NON cl!

One small thing: our toiletries were not replenished AT ALL. Not even soap. However I had enough towels for a family of 6 lol. I needed them in the heat , so many showers!

Yes turn down each night too!

Oh there is a white podium on your left outside for CL check in if needed. (if arriving on left as you approach lobby entrance)

Also they were giving out water one time at the boat dock.

I did hear piped firework music at Marina near gaspies and outside of Narcoossee's fyi.

I could see and hear the movie from our balcony in Boca Chica. It looked like many courtyard facing rooms would be able to watch and hear that way. The tv screen showed on both sides so sit on lawn or on balcony.

My DH tried to argue when we walked to poly . I said you have to walk towards beach and along beachside of VGF or you walk the "walk of grass shame". Then later I pointed out how the path along other side doesn't meet with the one we were on.

Drinks are always more generous at GF vs poly. I want a glass of wine not a sip lol! Kona gives such a tiny amount! All the drinks like Mai Tai, a scotch all seem to be better at gf.

I do love poly for theme and location but for quality, GF wins hands down!

Having robes in the closet, a makeup mirror and turndown with trash and towel really makes it feel like a cl experience so much I kept forgetting I wasn;t this trip.

Ok I think I got it all in now.

As always, Happy Planning!

I forgot one more:

Going home day we showered at the beach pool in the clubhouse. Towels, shampoo , conditioner, and soap plus blow dryer are there for you. Since it's the Grand, the room is always spotless too.

I have used this over the years and it's so much nicer than the other resorts. We didnt swim this day but to rinse off after a 90 degree day before heading home was very nice.

thWe are now switched from YC CL suppose to have checked in today but have now been moved to Sept 19th due to Irma. I know I have come to the right spot for all my info, we are staying CL in Sugarloaf.

thWe are now switched from YC CL suppose to have checked in today but have now been moved to Sept 19th due to Irma. I know I have come to the right spot for all my info, we are staying CL in Sugarloaf.

Sorry you had to move but sounds like it worked out in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter