1st visit: Trying to decide between AKL standard room and POR Princess Suite

I just read on one of the threads here that there is drumming in AKL until after 10pm and that it drove the poster crazy and they couldn't sleep. Has anyone ever had that experience?

We've had 5 stays at AKL in different parts of the resort and never heard any drumming in our room at all. I don't even remember ever hearing any while hanging around the resort.

My family stayed in a POR princess room a couple of years ago. While the resort was great and the room was great, I realized what Disney did here was to specially renovate these princess rooms at POR and the pirate rooms at CBR to entice guests to want to stay in these areas as they are the furthest areas from the Food court/pool area.
They are a bit of a bait and switch, but if you don't mind walking a bit further the princess room is a fun room.

Disagree. Pirates, yes, no one wanted those rooms with good reason so they did a re-do. POR, no, I think they did those buildings because it made more sense to pick the buildings farthest from AB since the resort is built in a circle. These buildings are the closest mansions to the main hub.

The princess rooms are some of the closest to the lobby. We always got off at the lobby bus stop and walked to our room because it was quicker than riding the bus to the last stop.

Agree. Love the location, only a couple minute walk to the main hub and food court. Close enough that we always walk to the bus stop there rather than the one out by the mansion. The decor and the location help me justify the higher price.

I just read on one of the threads here that there is drumming in AKL until after 10pm and that it drove the poster crazy and they couldn't sleep. Has anyone ever had that experience?

Maybe they had too many at the Victoria Lounge and it was really their head. NEVER heard any drumming at AKL, never heard any music at night, never disturbed by any hotel entertainment, and I've had a room right off the lobby.

We've had 5 stays at AKL in different parts of the resort and never heard any drumming in our room at all. I don't even remember ever hearing any while hanging around the resort.

Thanks! I saw that in a few threads, but then realized it was all from one poster. Perhaps they had a bad experience that is not common. It made me a little nervous! Glad to know no one else has had that experience!

They have a parade through the lobby at 8:15 every night for kiddos to grab an instrument and follow along. My kids always loved it. It's led by someone playing an African drum while they chant ["Let's go to Africa"] in a native language. I'm not sure there are any drums after that; but I have heard drums at other times through the day. At Kidani there are some drums off the lobby, and if they are there all day/night it's possible that some disruptive guests had gotten ahold of them late at night.

As far as transportation goes: Every now and then there are unusual delays. I believe the last time we were there we watched 3-4 buses come for every park while we waited 30+ minutes for a bus to Epcot. This is NOT the norm, but delays happen from time to time and they happen at EVERY resort. The ride to MK takes longer than the route to other parks, but it's still only about 20-25 minutes. That does not mean that you wait that long for the bus. They still should have buses coming every 15-20 minutes, and sometimes it's sooner. When leaving the parks it seems that AKL hardly has to wait on a bus. Maybe it's just been coincidence, but we haven't had memorable bad experiences waiting on transportation back to AKL. On the other hand, one time while staying at Coronado, we left before the fireworks were over and waited an hour with a line spilling out of the corral...no buses at all. We watched 4 buses come and go for AKL. At that point I wondered if deluxe resorts get more bus traffic than moderates, though this was just a theory.

Thank you for this! I bookmarked it on my computer so I can access it easily when I make requests!

I think we have stayed in rooms 3236, 5234, and 5236...all overlooking the Sunset Savanna (not sure if we were evens or odds, but we were on the left side of the hall). It was convenient to be near the stairs/elevator, and so funny to have the exact same location (pretty much) three times! We booked a standard room each time, requested Kudu trail one time. The time we booked Savanna view we were in 5590-something, way up on the last section of Zebra trail, on the right side of the hall. I believe our other AKL stays were at Kidani, at least one of those was parking lot view, and for some reason I can't remember the other. Even in the standard rooms on Kudu we had giraffes and different types of antelope; maybe a zebra or two at night, but I think the only time we had the cattle outside our room was when we had the room on Zebra trail. On zebra trail we had giraffes, zebra, cattle, antelope, wildebeest, and a crane in her nest in the grass RIGHT below our room, 3 eggs. I think they do rotate some of the animals periodically.

This is a poor angle on the standard room, 5th floor, Kudu trail. Clearly, the animals are pretty close.

I found another angle from our 3rd floor room, other side of the same view:

These images have me completely thrown off because they seem like very different views. I even checked satellite image to make sure I'm looking at the same view here. Perhaps I have our room locations off by a few numbers, but these are both of the same section of "part savanna."

They have a parade through the lobby at 8:15 every night for kiddos to grab an instrument and follow along. My kids always loved it. It's led by someone playing an African drum while they chant ["Let's go to Africa"] in a native language. I'm not sure there are any drums after that; but I have heard drums at other times through the day.

I couldn't even recall drums until you mentioned this - then it dawned on me I've been having cocktails in the Victoria Falls Lounge a couple times before when the kids paraded down the stairs from the main lobby to the restaurant level before. It's usually only a few kids and the cast members - having fun and making a quick circuit. I can't imagine hearing those drums from your room - frankly 99.9% of the rooms are so far from the lobby I doubt you could hear someone blasting an air horn at the front desk. I also don't recall ever hearing anything after that ... but the odds are if I'm in my room at 10pm, I wouldn't be in any condition to hear anything.

I have stayed in the DVC Concierge rooms over the lobby and yes, I heard the drumming in my room. I did not find it annoying.

I think we have stayed in rooms 3236, 5234, and 5236...all overlooking the Sunset Savanna (not sure if we were evens or odds, but we were on the left side of the hall). It was convenient to be near the stairs/elevator, and so funny to have the exact same location (pretty much) three times! We booked a standard room each time, requested Kudu trail one time. The time we booked Savanna view we were in 5590-something, way up on the last section of Zebra trail, on the right side of the hall. I believe our other AKL stays were at Kidani, at least one of those was parking lot view, and for some reason I can't remember the other. Even in the standard rooms on Kudu we had giraffes and different types of antelope; maybe a zebra or two at night, but I think the only time we had the cattle outside our room was when we had the room on Zebra trail. On zebra trail we had giraffes, zebra, cattle, antelope, wildebeest, and a crane in her nest in the grass RIGHT below our room, 3 eggs. I think they do rotate some of the animals periodically.

This is a poor angle on the standard room, 5th floor, Kudu trail. Clearly, the animals are pretty close.

I found another angle from our 3rd floor room, other side of the same view:

These images have me completely thrown off because they seem like very different views. I even checked satellite image to make sure I'm looking at the same view here. Perhaps I have our room locations off by a few numbers, but these are both of the same section of "part savanna."

Do you just request specific "trails" or do you ask for certain areas such as "kudu trail near lobby or elevator" etc

I went ahead and switched to AKL but i have been worried about the exact things you mentioned, dark long hallways, and we are not big animal people. (I know that sounds awful! But DH and DD have horrible allergies and we live near the STL zoo, so we are spoiled that way I guess) I am also worried about making early morning ADRs. Also, I am a princes person! (more than my daughter!) But, I was worried about lots of extra walking if we stayed at POR and since it is everyone's first trip, I want to make sure they have a great time. I am worried I am trying to pack too much in as it is. I am beginning to second guess myself!

1. No, we did not ever hear any drumming.

2. We were in a standard view room on the Kudu trail that actually had a good animal view, and it was very close to the lobby. One of the closest rooms possible, on the same floor and a 1-2 minute walk at your leisure. The hallways aren't dark. The animals outside your balcony aren't close enough to trigger allergies, fyi.

3. We went to 7am EMH at MK on Easter weekend from AKL, without a hitch. AKL does not share buses or have a lengthy internal bus system, which makes the bus experience faster than from some other resorts. After you get on at Jambo, you'll go straight to the parks.

4. Stop worrying, AKL is great. Of course, there is going to be the occasional person to bash it. I've read those bashes about every WDW resort I've ever stayed at (AKL, Poly, Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, Yacht Club, Boardwalk...) and I never had that person's bad experience. There are people in this world who hate ice cream, too.:confused3

Last edited:
1. No, we did not ever hear any drumming.

2. We were in a standard view room on the Kudu trail that actually had a good animal view, and it was very close to the lobby. One of the closest rooms possible, on the same floor and a 1-2 minute walk at your leisure. The hallways aren't dark. The animals outside your balcony aren't close enough to trigger allergies, fyi.

3. We went to 7am EMH at MK on Easter weekend from AKL, without a hitch. AKL does not share buses or have a lengthy internal bus system, which makes the bus experience faster than from some other resorts. After you get on at Jambo, you'll go straight to the parks.

4. Stop worrying, AKL is great. Of course, there is going to be the occasional person to bash it. I've read those bashes about every WDW resort I've ever stayed at (AKL, Poly, Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, Yacht Club, Boardwalk...) and I never had that person's bad experience. There are people in this world who hate ice cream, too.:confused3

Thanks! I appreciate the advice!! I know I am worrying too much! I just really want to make sure that we have a wonderful time. ( I am sure we will) It is the most we have ever spent on a vacation, it's our family's first vacation in several years, and our first trip to Disney! (I have been pushing for Disney for several years!) My husband agreed to Disney and then surprisingly has let me plan the entire thing!

I love your comment about ice cream!!!! That is TRUTH! :rainbow:

Do you just request specific "trails" or do you ask for certain areas such as "kudu trail near lobby or elevator" etc
The only time I made a room location request at AKL was when I initiated "online check-in" last summer and "Kudu Trail" was an option. I checked that box and "near elevator" box. This year, online check-in did not have a box for "Kudu Trail." I think I mentioned in a previous post that I called the reservations system and asked them to add my room requests for me: Kudu Trail and near elevator.

I'm sure you'll love AKL! It will make a great 1st impression for your 1st trip! Have fun!

Do you ask for these specific rooms or do you just ask for Zebra trail partial Savannah view near pool?

The first time I just requested anything but a parking lot view. I had them note it on my reservation. That was the first time we got that room. The second time I did the fax through touring plans and requested any of those room numbers on either the third or fourth floor. They gave us a room overlooking the roof. We had done online check-in and received a text with the room number. I went to the desk and asked if any of those room numbers we requested were available on the third or fourth floor. They made a quick call to someone and said if we were willing to wait a few hours we could have the room we wanted. We chose to wait and got it. Never be afraid to go to the desk and ask. The worst they can tell you is no.

We have stayed at both and I would choose the PoR Royal room hands down. AKL is great IF you have a Savannah view and want to spend lots of time at the resort, though the pool was a bit of a disappointment. We found buses much more efficient at PoR and the theming was just so much more Disney-ish. DD still considers it her favorite room, and we have stayed a lot of different places!

The princess rooms are some of the closest to the lobby. We always got off at the lobby bus stop and walked to our room because it was quicker than riding the bus to the last stop.

Huh, it is possible my perception was wrong. But our room was quite a ways away from the food court. I can't speak for the bus situation though as we had a car.

However, this is definately true of all of the CBR pirate room as they are all in Trinidad North.

I think AKL would be the only resort that I would upgrade from a standard room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter