1st Timers - Day 7 - Animal Kingdom

Milly

Earning My Ears
Still waking quite early - up at 7.00 and it's toast & coffee in the villa this morning - I want to make sure we get an early start at Animal Kingdom.
We arrive at the park in blazing sunshine - very hot & humid today. As we get our bags checked 6 x disney characters appear for autographs & photo's. I leave DW with DD getting the book signed and make a detour to the Rainforest Cafe to mak a reservation for later today.
Told DW but kept it secret from everyone else in the hope that it will be a pleasant suprise at the end of the visit.
Well - usuals split with DS1 & DN as they head for "Dinosaur" we make straight for "Kilimanjaro Safari". We walk straight on (no queue) and off on the adventure. There are quite a good selection of animals out and about and the Giraffe's in particular are very close to the bus. Next the "Pangani Forest Exploration Trail" which is a very nice walk in the shade. Then we make for the "Kali River Rapids" in order to give DF & DM their daily bath!
This works a treat - DF gets VERY wet feet and DM sits in a puddle! (this is getting too easy!) As we get off - it starts to rain - we head for Dinoland USA and are forced to take shelter as the heavens open. The rain looks pretty set in - the kids start to look dissapointed - Oh well - we are on holiday aren't we? - I grab DS2 and DD and drag them on to the TriceraTop Spin - yes I know I must be mad but still - no queue's strangely enough and despite getting wet we thoroughly enjoy it. As the rain eases we move into the BoneYard and the kids let off some steam while I sit in front of a huge fan and try to dry off!
As we leave - the rain come again with avengance - we grab a coffee frim McD's and shelter under a roof top until it subsides - then off to the Tree of Life to see "It's a Bugs Life".
This is a brilliant show with some great special effects - I particularly like the way the bugs leave the room first!
We have one last walk around the "Maharajah Jungle Trek" and then meet up with the boys.
As we make our way out of the park I draw the party slowly towards and into the RainForest Cafe - well - it's not quite the reaction I was expecting! - DF & DM seem horrified that we are eating somewhere different! - "What are we going to eat? Where is the Menu? Why have you booked this place? I bet it's all spicy food - you know Dad doesn't eat spicy food". I feel like driving off without them!!! But - I don't - I persevere - I reassure - I tell them I'm Paying!!!
After a short wait (@15 mins) we are seated. The atmosphere is brilliant - the whole place looks like a Rain Forest (DUH!) - well you know what I mean - It actually DOES look like a Rain Forest!
There are animatronic animals everywhere - huge fish tanks - a waterfall - and every 20 mins. there is a thunderstorm! Our waiter arrives and is very cheerful and makes allowances for DF & DM who are still not convinced that I am not trying to poison them! Drinks arrive and the order is placed and now we all start to relax and enjoy the experience. Then the food arrives and all is forgiven. The portions are massive, the quality is excellent and there are no hidden "spices" in DM & DF's dinner! DW has the Mojo Ribs which are superb - I have the Chicken Wraps....Mmmm - DS1 has pasta (if they had brought 7 more bowls we would have all had pasta!) and DS2 has Passport to Paradise Pizza. We are all stuffed! but I am eyeing up the desserts and feel the urge to "pig out" - the waiter see's my dilemma and suggests that if I order the enormous "Volcano" ice cream then he will bring us eight plates & eight spoons and we can all sample a little bit - what a nice chap. Five minutes later we hear him from accross the restaurant shouting "VOLCANO" "VOLCANO" "VOLCANO" and here he comes with this mountain of ice cream topped with a sparkler firework.
The only regret I have is not ordering 2 !!!
It's been a success after all - thankfully!
We head back to International Drive for a look round Belz Shopping Mall before going back to the villa.
This has been one of my favourite days - despite the rain - despite the inlaws - I would like to send more time planning some meals in the themed restaurants but I fear that we may have more resistance ! Oh well - I'm not going to let it spoil anything - there is so much more to see & do.
Tomorrow is going to be Epcot & IHOP if I can persuade certain parties!
Wish me luck !

Milly

What a nice surprise that was. Great to hear that you enjoyed it.

Another great day - we really enjoyed Rainforest Cafe at AK too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter