1st time use of DVC points, AK and SS split stay 12-27-2020 thru 01-09-2021

Hiddenmickey75

Earning My Ears
Hello all. For this report I'll try to limit it to just my experience with DVC and keep it as brief as possible. I will post the parks experience in another post shortly. I hope this helps anyone who is considering purchasing DVC, as I know I had alot of questions and still have some today.

So quick backstory, we have been thinking about buying since Saratoga first opened but it wasn't until recently that we could truly afford it. Many years later now we are a family of 4 with two kids age 20 and 18, I guess not kids anymore but in my eyes they will forever be 10 and 12 LOL. We bought in direct at Copper Creek in the fall. Then very soon thereafter we bought resales at Animal Kingdom and Grand Floridian. All of these had banked 2019 points which is the reason we made this unplanned trip.

First let me say that the cast members were incredible at both resorts. We drove from Wisconsin and had planned to arrive around 8 P.M. on the night of 26th and stay at any cheap hotel around Disney. Due to two big traffic jams, we didn't arrive until the 27th at like 1 A.M. Not being able to check in at AK until 3 we thought we would just drive to AK and see if we could get a cash room for the night if that was even possible at that hour. The cast member told us since it was our actual check in day and the room was available we could get in immediately. WOW. I was blown away and thrilled. This of course would of never been possible in a pre covid world but this time it worked out for us.

First impressions of the room: It was a studio and was a standard view. The room was ok sized, the sink area was nice, the bathroom was ok. It didn't wow me but it was a step up from the All Star resorts we have stayed at often. The main bed was very comfortable but the sofa pull out was by far the worse sleep I have ever had at a Disney property. I have no idea who is meant to sleep on that bed. My daughter is 150 lbs and felt every bar and spring in the frame. I volunteered to sleep there and let me tell you it was indescribably awful. Also we received trash service only once during the 7 night stay.

However their were many positives, we woke up to find giraffe, zebra and other wildlife outside our balcony. So not only did they get us in a room way early but they upgraded us to savannah view, very magical. The pool was nice and large and their was a small hot tub, 5 or 6 people and a large hot tub, 10- 15 people nearby. Their were some activities and movie nights but no fire pit going ever.

I liked the resort but will definitely need to revisit post covid restrictions. While I personally liked the lack of guests and general busyness, not having restaurants, bars, and other key components open was a bummer.

On to week 2 and Saratoga Springs

We packed up and drove over early, like 8 or 9. We had planned to go to Epcot which opened at 11. We were planning on dropping off our luggage and head to the park but again got some Disney magic as they said we could get into a refurbished room at the paddock right now in lieu of the water view room they were originally scheduled for. So of course we jumped on it. Again amazing cast members every time we encountered one the entire trip.

The room was great, just like I have seen on the youtube videos. Both beds were very comfy, tons of lighting options, ample usb and outlets. I don't know the Sq ft of each room, but this one felt much bigger than AK. I have nothing but praise for these rooms and staff. We received trash service every day and made requests for coffee and misc items that were often delivered in minutes. The other major positive was the quiet pool at Congress and the super easy and convenient walks to Disney Springs. We are park warriors in general and being able to go to the pool/hot tub after a long park day at 11 PM or even later some nights was fantastic. Those 2 reasons alone are enough that I would consider staying there many times in the future.

The only thing I didn't care for and its minor, is I like walking through a lobby to get to and from the car and that room doors are in inside hallways like AK. So that feel of individual separate buildings and open outdoor room entrances was a little less appealing. The lobby was a little far and less convenient than I would of preferred.

Overall is was a great experience and I'm happy we bought into DVC at this time. Like I said, we are people that usually are in the parks from open to close. However with everyone being a little order I can see taking our time more to enjoy these resorts and all they offer compared to my value resort stays and look forward to experiencing them all in the future.

If anyone has any comments or questions I'd love to hear them.

Sounds like your first trip “home” was a success! We love AKL and SSR, both great resorts and so different from each other!

Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip. I always enjoy hearing about others peoples experiences at Disney.

Welcome to DVC!

Sounds like you had a great stay and welcome to DVC!

I for one hope they eventually replace all sofa beds with Murphy bed/real mattress combos. Since my kiddos have gotten older and bigger they aren’t a fan of the sofa bed either. They just aren’t nearly as comfortable...

Sounds like you had a great stay and welcome to DVC!

I for one hope they eventually replace all sofa beds with Murphy bed/real mattress combos. Since my kiddos have gotten older and bigger they aren’t a fan of the sofa bed either. They just aren’t nearly as comfortable...
Thank you, yes it exceeded all of our expectations. If we stay again where there is a sofa pull out, I have to figure out a hack for that. Maybe bringing a pillowtop foam topper? If anyone has any ideas on how they make them more comfortable please feel free to share.

Was your Saratoga room a preferred studio? Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and CONGRATULATIONS :)

They have them in housekeeping if you ask. They at least did at AKV Kidani. Not really the best but at least something.

Another option is just have a blow up mattress.
:oops: Are you being serious right now? My daughter told me to ask if something like that was available and I told her to not be ridiculous, they would never have something like that. LOL Guess I have to start listening to my kids more.

The thing about these pull out couches that really irks me is you would think for the money you invest in DVC, you would get nicer sleeping accommodations. The fact that the allstar resorts have better beds for at least 2 out of 4 people is really disappointing. The pull down beds, like new SSR are very nice so maybe they will change over to all of that style when they do refurbs on any other DVC. Until then it is a major factor for where I will be booking future stays.

Welcome to DVC. We own at VGF and love it. Sounds like you got some at the GF. I think you will love it there too. I haven't stayed at the AKL or SSR but would like to experience them in the future! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Thanks for sharing, I hope that all pull out couches will be replace by murphy beds.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

You can definitely try a blow-up mattress - if you have a boy/girl or if one does not want to share the pull-out - but you will have to bring your own.

Glad it was a success for you. You received some pixie dust getting in your rooms early. Pre-COVID - not something that happens often.

te2XUsY.jpg

Btw, I’ve slept on the sofa pullouts at both AKV (Jambo) and VGF, the VGF ones are more comfortable IMO.
Word of warning, whatever you do, don’t book a 2 br. w/ it’s spare real bed (or 2 in a dedicated) because that’ll lead to a need to buy more points lol.

That's good to know about the VGF, we are doing a split stay there in January. It's also to late about the points, I'm currently in the process of buying my 3rd resale after my direct purchase. Lol 😆

Glad to hear about your great stay at SSR. We're booked there for 11/28/21 - 12/7/21 and are looking forward to the refurb room. We stayed in a 1 BR Villa at the RR (1/20) just before COVID. My DD and DSIL loved the pull down bed. Welcome to DVC!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter