1st Time Disneyland - Good Neighbor Hotels

NewEnglandDisney

Just My Opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Hey everyone. :) I'm currently planning my first Disneyland trip, and it's so exciting to read through this forum! (Deleted requests for DLR park maps - Thank you boosmom96!)

Also, any advice on Good Neighbor hotels that you've personally experienced? I keep seeing Candy Cane mentioned in forums. I'm so leery of staying on a non-Disney property (always stay on-prop at WDW, usually at Pop Century) but I just don't think I'll be able to spring for one of the big three. $200 a night would mean a shorter trip, and I want to spend a full five days at DL and still be able to go to Universal. I just want a nice clean place to sleep and shower - and I've just heard some horror stories (bed bugs! EW!) and am a bit overwhelmed with all the choices.

Thanks so much!

NED

Mary Jo said:
Hi Ned,

Until you get some maps, I've scanned them & you can get them at this link:

Maps & Aerial Shots

We're going next weekend. I'll try & get a couple to send to you.

Awesome, Mary Jo! Those will definately keep me until I get a real set. Thanks so much for offering to pick some up, but boosmom has it covered. You guys are great! I just posted this a little bit ago, in the middle of the night, hehe.

I'm going to change the original subject now that I've secured some maps. Still anxious to know about motel experiences. Boosmom recommended the Stovall's Best Western, and I've heard about the Candy Cane Inn from others.

I knew the DLR side of the boards would be just as friendly as the WDW. :)

Thanks again everyone!

NED

Candy Cane is great!!!!!!! If you can't stay on site - it's definately a good compromise!

The candy can is great. We just stayed there in March, and I'll be staying there again in May with friends. We are talking about taking the kids again next year, and will stay there again. The standard rooms are bit on the small side, but the hotel is clean and well taken care off. The plants and things around the grounds are just beautiful. And, best of all, its close enough to walk (about .6 miles to the gate/10 minutes) and they offer a shuttle (their own, not ART) if you don't want to walk. The breakfast is a good way to start the day, but I wish they offered a bit more protein- but hey, its free!

The hojo's (howard johnson) is also walking distance and gets great reviews. Its about the same distance as the candy cane, but in the opposite direction. It does not offer a shuttle or breakfast, but the rooms are a bit larger.

I've also stayed at the Fairfield inn, and found it to be a decent choice. There are also some bigger, more high end, hotels in the area. Most are not with in walking distance. If you are going to have a car or dont mind using ART, you could consider them.

What is important to you in a hotel? That would help us give you more info.

We have stayed in the following Good Neigbor motels and list them in order of favorite first.

Howard Johnson and Candy Cane Ties for first. Both are great places to stay. The rooms at HoJo are bigger and most have balconies with interior hallways. The rooms are a clean but a bit bland. There are two pools and lots of trees and some rooms have views of Disneyland and the fireworks. There is nor free breakfast here. Candy Cane Inn is a Two story U shaped motel with loads of atmosphere. The grounds are not extensive but what there is is beutifully landscaped. The rooms are very pretty and comfortable though not large. The free breakfast is great and they have their own private shuttle to the parks. Walkging to the gates of the parks is 7 minutes or so from either of these places.
The Best Western Park Place Inn is a fine place to stay. It has no grounds to speak of but the rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable, There is a decent free breakfast. This place has the best location. Aside from Disney's Gand Californian Hotel The Park Place Inn is the closest of all lodgeings to the gates of the parks.
The Park Inn is located between HoJo and Park Place Inn and though not a large place it was fine. I think they need to update their rooms but it was comfortable and clean and close.
The Anabella is a bit farther of a walk and is an extensively remodeld motel that once comprised 3 older motels. It is apretty place with nice enough rooms that were comfortable and clean.
The Desert Inn and Suites was fine for us but I have read a few conflicting reports. It is in a very close location as well.
The Anaheim Plaza is a very dated place. It looks like an apartment complex from the 50's. It has a lot of greenery on the grounds but I felt like I had gone back in time. The room was clean but a bit worn. The price was less than all the others though.
Here is an arial view. http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html
The Candy Cane is not listed but it is there. Find the Four Points Hotel and then look about a half an inch above that and you will see the large U shpaed motel. That's the Candy Cane.

As mentioned above, the two non-Disney hotels which consistently draw great reviews here are HoJos and Candy cane. It's no coincidnce bot also rate highly on tripadvisor.com (they are #2 and #3 for Anaheim behind the much, much more expensive Grand Californian).

We stayed in HoJo because of reviews here and on trip advisor and loved it.

It is a basic moderate hotel, so don't expect chocolates on your pillow or valet service, but service is superb, rooms are nice and clean, pillows and beds are good. Bathrooms are small but rooms are a decent size. The pool is heated and a good size. Just make sure you get a room facing away from the freeway, and if you can afford it, book a Disney View for views of the monorail and matterhorn and night time fireworks.

No breakfast, but Mimi's across the road does superb food in huge portions at a great price. HoJos is also only 10 minutes walk along a wide, safe and well lit boulevard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter