1st time at VWL. Room request? Any need to knows?

butsy113

AKV Owner
We just booked a dedicated 2 bedroom at VWL for the 2 nights before our cruise this September.We are a party of 4, DH, DS13, DD11, and I. We have never stayed there before. Is there anything I need to know about the resort? Anything we should do there? Any room requests I should make?

Ask for "close to elevators" there are some rooms right near the atrium that are irregularly shaped and give you and extra window in the living room. They overlook the pool too, on that side.

We just booked a dedicated 2 bedroom at VWL for the 2 nights before our cruise this September.We are a party of 4, DH, DS13, DD11, and I. We have never stayed there before. Is there anything I need to know about the resort? Anything we should do there? Any room requests I should make?
First, though I'm a bit biased, plan to love the resort--it's beautiful, marvelously themed, and intimate compared to most other resorts. As for things to do, a short list would include sitting in the lobby and watching people enter it for the first time (it is awe-inspiring), putting your name on list to be a flag family, family movie night on the beach (preceded by s'mores at the fire pit), renting bikes or a boat(s), taking a walk along the nature trail (starts out beside the bike/boat rental building), grab a Hidden Mickey hint list from the front desk, walk over to FW for breakfast (Trail's End buffet is best value around), and sit on the beach watching EWP and Wishes (the higher explosions are easily seen). As for eats, Roaring Fork is an above average QS; Whispering Canyon doesn't do anything for us, but many people love the food and atmosphere there; and Artist Point is one of the top Signature restaurants in the World (and a great place for a date night). I'm sure you know, but room requests are just that--requests. My best advice is to ask for a lake view room, floors 2-4, and, yes, closer to elevators as it might give you views of the Villas pool. The predominant view at VWL is that of trees, but by being lake side, you might get glimpses of the lake through the trees (as well as snatches of EWP and Wishes over the main building). I say floors 2-4 because we enjoy being elevated thus no ground floor, and the fifth floor has dormer-style balconies meaning you have to stand up to see over the enclosed railing. I'm sure others will chime in with more activities, so enjoy your stay!

Thanks for all the info Sleepy! I loved the relaxed atmosphere when we visited VWL for dinner, but my family has always wanted to stay somewhere else. I'm hoping they fall in love with it, and we can stay there more often :)

That relaxed atmosphere is one of my favorite things about VWL and WL. It offers a wonderful respite after busy days in the parks. If your plan is to just hang out and enjoy the resort before heading off on your cruise, again WL/VWL is great since you will definitely feel relaxed. I didn't mention it, but the Trout Pass pool bar is a favorite hangout of ours, too. Usually not terribly crowded and the servers are very friendly. Have fun!

One of the things I like to do a wilderness lodge is to take a picture by the totem pole. I have pictures of the kids by there as they have grown... fun to look back at. Ring the bells in the covered walkway from the villas to the lodge...some don't like this, but I smile every time. Make sure you take a boat to MK, see the geyser go off, watch the ducks swim in the pool early in the morning, watch for bunnies in the yard areas, rock in a rocking chair while watching the mini waterfall / creek area. Have fun! We are going to be there in May and I can't wait!!!

We are hoping to stay here for the first time in September. The only thing really important to us is having a balcony or porch as we love to sit outside. Do all rooms have this?

Well Jeez, my pal sleepy pretty much covered all the neat things to do.

As for room request, I have to say I honestly don't request them. Most of the views at the lodge are of woods, which is cool.

We are hoping to stay here for the first time in September. The only thing really important to us is having a balcony or porch as we love to sit outside. Do all rooms have this?

I'm pretty sure all the rooms have balcony's. some one else will chime in with confirmation.
You picked a great month for doing just that. Dh and I always ended the day on the balcony just relaxing.

I'm pretty sure all the rooms have balcony's. some one else will chime in with confirmation.
You picked a great month for doing just that. Dh and I always ended the day on the balcony just relaxing.
They do. Porches on floor 1, balconies from floors 2-5. However, as I stated earlier, the fifth floor balconies are dormer-style, meaning they're largely solid. . .meaning you have to stand up to look out over them. Many of the rooms, however, do have taller ceilings which some people like since it provides a sense of the room being larger.

Thank you. I will request no 5th floor. If we can't sit outside that's not for us. Booking on the 19th! Woot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter