1st Solo Trip

Jailen's Gma

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I'm thinking of doing my first solo trip sometime between April 1st and middle of May.
This will be my first trip traveling anywhere totally by myself. I've traveled to places, but I've always met someone there.
My question is where to I start? I know I will be staying onsite, but where? How will I get from airport to resort? When is the best time to go?
I've been to WDW several time with family, but this time I want to do what I want and when I want.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mary

APril and May are the garden/flower festavial at Epcot.

do you want reasonable for a room - or close to Epcot?

PC is reasonable - BW, BC, YC or d/s are close to Epcot.

there is a mears bus to take you back and forth.

however any shuttle service would work.

I took my first solo trip in Sept and stayed at POFQ. I liked it alot and thought it was a good place to stay solo. I drove down, so no help on getting from the airport. You will have a wonderful time!!!!

For my first 4 solo trips, I stayed at POR and thought they were great. Then I stayed at ASMusic, thought they were too cheap looking and feeling for me (but POR was closed that trip). Tried AKL, loved it. Then we joined DVC, since then I've been fortunate enough to stay in studios at Epcot resorts-perfect, I think, for solo trips.

When I start planning a solo trip, I ask myself some questions(Yes..I talk to myself outloud!!)

1. How much money have I got to spend. This will decide the type of resort I'll stay in. And if I eat as restaurants each day, or counter service.
2. What do I want to make sure I want to see. This will decide where I'll stay. I love the Epcot resorts because so close to Epcot and Disney Studios(trying to start calling it that). I also love to have breakfast at GF. They have homemade corned beef hash.

3. Do I want to be around people. If so, then I plan a tour. MK tour is my favorite. Have been on it twice, and it was a little different each time. But I like Epcot's garden tour also. I went during the Flower and Garden Festival.

4. Is this commando or laid back. Laid back, then I go on Mears from the airport to the resort. Hang out at WL's lobby with a book. Take the walk between WL and FW. Sit down a lot more than normal.
Commando, then I have my list, my Unofficial guide's list of touring, my backpack, and lots of snacks. I get up early and crash(is this an old term?) by 9pm.

So as you see. I start by designing the trip, then start working on the particulars.

Have fun. You will love it.

Susan

Thanks for all replies so far. Its giving lots of ideas.

And Susan, as long as you know you're talking to yourself, its alright. I do it all the time.

Mary

Mary,
Where are you from in Wis. I grew up in Door County. I have done several solo trips, although I live close enough for day trips and I make many of those, I usually schedule 3 or 4 4 day trips throughout the year. If you go late April or anytime in May you will get to enjoy the Flower and Garden Festival at EPCOT and the flower power concerts, it's a great time of the year to be here. Most of the time I stay at the WL simply because since I am able to go anytime I want I like the laid backness of the WL and it is one of the smaller resorts, also I think it reminds me alot of Wis! Also another great place for solo travelers is POR, the landscaping is beautiful and they have a great food court, also a boat ride away from DD. I don't care for the values at all but that is just my taste. Going solo is great and most everyone will chat with you.

I soloed in 2001 and it was GREAT!

Where do start? Well, I started just by booking it!! LOL.. I'm not sure about "best times to book" or what have you, but usually Disney has their specials advertised on TV or on the website.

Where to stay? Up to you and your budget. I was 100% completely happy with the AS Music, which is why I'm going back there again. Basically, all of the values are the same. If you think you'll spend more time at the hotel, then go for the moderate or deluxe. I'm always on a bit of a budget and personally, I'd rather splurge on a fabulous dinner with the money I save with the room!

I liked Mears shuttle for transportation. Lemme tell you - I was there on Sept. 11, 2001, and the Mears people were STILL there on time... VERY accomodating. I called, they got me on an earlier bus (I had to go to the airport to get a shuttle to Alamo to get a rental car because I was visiting relatives in Jacksonville after Disney). They were so so so so nice. Honestly, when the crap hit the fan that day, they were so great. Them and Alamo both. I will forever sing their praises.

Best time to go to Disney? After New Years and before spring break (minus President's Day weekend). The 1st week of school (when I went!) thru October, and I hear the first few weeks of December before Xmas.

Suggestions - chat with people! I was amazed at how friendly people were. I just smiled, talked to people in line for buses and such. I met some very nice people. Talked to a LOT of castmates in the World Showcase. THey were VERY friendly and loved talking about their countries. So just chat it up with people, smile, and have fun. Don't worry about how people "see you". Who cares!!!

Originally posted by KittyKitty
When I start planning a solo trip, I ask myself some questions(Yes..I talk to myself outloud!!)

1. How much money have I got to spend. This will decide the type of resort I'll stay in. And if I eat as restaurants each day, or counter service.
2. What do I want to make sure I want to see. This will decide where I'll stay. I love the Epcot resorts because so close to Epcot and Disney Studios(trying to start calling it that). I also love to have breakfast at GF. They have homemade corned beef hash.
Susan

Susan, these are great tips!
So, tell me..MGM has a new name?? When did this happen? Of course, I still think of POR as Dixie Landings and SOG as the Gold Resort....might take me awhile to catch on!

I talk to myself all the time - who esle wants to go over all the fun WDW plans as much as me??? ;)

Thanks!
Christine:wave2:

Hi Mary ~

I always go to WDW alone, I know it sounds silly, but I have more fun that way!

And its great to have the extra attention from all the CMs across WDW....

Have fun and good luck!

princess:

If there is anyway I may be of help. please let me know.

Have a wonderful time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter