$15 per night for no mousekeeping at FOFQ

I'm with you guys! I even make sure we stay somewhere with no kitchen facilities so nobody can ask me to cook anything :rotfl2:

Me, too! We're a family of 5 or 6 depending on how many (adult) kids travel with us. We stay in 2 rooms at a Value resort or a suite at AoA. I won't even consider a DVC villa or a cabin because I don't want anyone to get the idea that I might actually cook something on vacation. The microwave in the suite is fine because we use it for oatmeal, popcorn, etc. but I don't want to have to really cook. Even if we do a staycation we go out to eat for lunch and dinner every day. :D

It's upsetting to me that so many people are using this ridiculously cheap buyout of Disney not providing services that even the lowest value motels would provide. It's obvious they are moving toward tacking on a fee for mousekeeping, and this is the trial. Gross. When guests stay in a room for a week and it isn't cleaned, that makes the entire place filthier to clean for all. There will be more roaches, etc. I am a POR regular, and it's disheartening they would do this by dangling gift card crumbs in front of guests.

Do you think the same of guests who accept similar incentives at other hotel chains?

It's upsetting to me that so many people are using this ridiculously cheap buyout of Disney not providing services that even the lowest value motels would provide. It's obvious they are moving toward tacking on a fee for mousekeeping, and this is the trial. Gross. When guests stay in a room for a week and it isn't cleaned, that makes the entire place filthier to clean for all. There will be more roaches, etc. I am a POR regular, and it's disheartening they would do this by dangling gift card crumbs in front of guests.

Yep. People don't seem to get it, whenever a big company "unbundles" services, it's so they can sell them all back to you for even more than you were paying to begin with. Much like cable tv "cord cutters" who are now starting to realize that they are paying for four or five separate streaming services instead.

And there are always enough people saying "oh, I wasn't using (x feature) anyway" that it never stops. It's especially obvious with the cruise lines.

To put another way, even if you think you're getting some deal now, the resort room you pay $300 for now (with cleaning) will be $350 (without cleaning) before you know it. And you will have cooperated.

Yep. People don't seem to get it, whenever a big company "unbundles" services, it's so they can sell them all back to you for even more than you were paying to begin with. Much like cable tv "cord cutters" who are now starting to realize that they are paying for four or five separate streaming services instead.

And there are always enough people saying "oh, I wasn't using (x feature) anyway" that it never stops. It's especially obvious with the cruise lines.

To put another way, even if you think you're getting some deal now, the resort room you pay $300 for now (with cleaning) will be $350 (without cleaning) before you know it. And you will have cooperated.

Other hotel chains that offer incentives for declining housekeeping haven't gone to paying for the service. I'm not yet convinced that Disney is going to try to be a pioneer in that arena.

Yep to that! The other negative to the obvious (rooms not being cleaned as regularly will not be as well kept in good condition and unsanitary conditions) is this could mean a loss of jobs to a lot of people. Sorry for me a 15 or 20 $ gift card a day is just not worth someone losing their job to me. And if this does take off I imagine Disney will charge a new hefty surcharge for room cleaning.

Yep to that! The other negative to the obvious (rooms not being cleaned as regularly will not be as well kept in good condition and unsanitary conditions) is this could mean a loss of jobs to a lot of people. Sorry for me a 15 or 20 $ gift card a day is just not worth someone losing their job to me. And if this does take off I imagine Disney will charge a new hefty surcharge for room cleaning.

I am not in favor AT ALL of this initiative, but I have a different perspective on the "jobs" factor. I think that Disney can't find ENOUGH labor, especially at the market rate. Think about how many hotels, resorts, condos, etc. are in the Orlando area. There is a lot of competition for a workforce that requires minimal qualifications.

I think the problem is they can't retain enough housekeepers to service all of the rooms effectively. I read a job posting last week that indicated they are currently offering a nice sign-on bonus for Disney housekeepers. I can't remember the exact amount but it was in the $500-1000 range.

This makes a lot of sense. I just did a quick internet search of "low income housing crisis in Orlando" and, yep, it would be hard to find enough housekeeping staff in the area. So many comments here on the DIS about late or deficient housekeeping, and then this "incentive" to opt out....well, it's all making sense now. I hope they find a way to work things out.

Sign us up! We don't eat in the room when we're there and only drink tap water. Bed doesn't need to be made. Bath supplies lasts until Tuesday or Wednesday so we call when we need it.

If you check the Disney Careers website, they have been advertising both full time and part time Housekeeping positions (the latest listing is from June 2017) with a $500 signing bonus. IMO they're having trouble finding people for these jobs.

I will admit the hiring issue throws things in a slightly different light. I assumed it was all about cutting workforce (cleaning staff) costs and making the customer eat it in the process, because that's how big business usually rolls.

Although the flipside is it sounds like they don't want to pay the staff enough to live in Orlando.

Other hotel chains that offer incentives for declining housekeeping haven't gone to paying for the service. I'm not yet convinced that Disney is going to try to be a pioneer in that arena.
This is a good and valid point.

I personally wouldn't take them up on the offer, I like coming back to a bed thats made. BUT I sure hope they are doing a DEEP clean before the new guest arrives and stays in that room. in my experience they don't do a deep cleaning NOW before the new guest arrives, so it seem with this new offering the rooms are not going to be kept that well.

Only time will tell.

Sign us up! We don't eat in the room when we're there and only drink tap water. Bed doesn't need to be made. Bath supplies lasts until Tuesday or Wednesday so we call when we need it.
And saving even more by not having to tip as much. I'll take it. If Disney is lacking the correct amount of Housekeepers and trying to find a way to utilize the ones they have for the guests that want them, I find no harm in this! Maybe they will eventually charge less per night for those that don't want it and then will only have to staff a certain amount of housekeepers per shift. They might also keep those that want housekeeping in a certain area.

Also wonder what this will mean for bedbugs.
I don't think it will make a difference. They don't put new sheets on every day. They will obviously do a thorough cleaning between each guest stay but don't think they are putting fresh sheets on the beds each night and i'm sure if they are lacking housekeepers, they are doing the minimal.

Disney knows how to fix the supply and demand issue with housekeeping. They just don't want to do what really needs to be done. Offer them $18 -$20 an hour and the supply will be through the roof.

...and then the resort rates increase...even more

I am still in the minority, I want to come back to a clean room, beds made, for me that is part of being on vacation. the 15 dollar per night doesn't tempt me enough to not use the service. and we are far from slobs I just want things done for me on vacation

I'm in that same minority. I take care of laundry, garbage, and making my bed every day at home. I don't want to do those things on vacation. I love coming back from the parks and seeing the clean room. $15/$20 is not enough to even make me stop and think about it. I would probably start to consider it if it was $40....though I would still have them come in at least once during our stay.

I agree. We aren't slobs and we clean up after ourselves for the most part but I like having fresh towels and toiletries without calling down, the trash taken out, everything wiped down, beds made and all that jazz done for me while I'm on vacation. I would think about it if they offered $50 a night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter