13 lbs in 8 weeks - 9 lbs and 3 weeks to go!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Well I can't do this by myself, so I'm going to have to tell my story so I can get some encouragement and accountability.

I was, not really thin, but I looked good before I got pregnant with my first baby (in 2007). I gained 38 lbs with her, lost 10 when she was born and immediately gained it back. A year and a half later (doing Weight Watchers), I had lost 10 lbs. My doctor ran glucose tests, thyroid tests, everything and nothing is wrong with me. He concluded that breastfeeding was making me gain weight. I got pregnant with my second baby (my son Judah) while I was still nursing her, and gained a total of 35 lbs. After he was born I lost 20 lbs and have managed to keep it off. In January 2011 I started using caloriecount.com and I was determined to get down to my "pre-Judah" weight before our first cruise in May 2011. Well I made it!! I lost 13 lbs in four months And then over the course of July-August gained it all back plus one.

I spent August, September, October, November feeling defeated and disgusted with myself. It was so hard to force myself to go to the gym when I felt like it was useless. I just kept telling myself how much more weight would I be gaining if I wasn't working out? Then over Thanksgiving weekend, we found a great deal on a cruise at the end of January and booked it! Rather than feeling defeated, I started feeling like this was another opportunity to work towards a goal. I decided to lose 13 lbs in the 8 weeks I have left before the cruise. That will put me just 2 lbs above my "pre-Judah" weight, and I think it's a doable goal. Once I get there I will have 25 left to get all the way back down to my "pre-Katherine" weight, but I am not even considering that right now. It might never happen.

My plan: I have four nights a week I can go to the gym. I do 45-60 minutes of cardio, either on the treadmill or on the elliptical. Last week I went three times. I've decided I can miss 2 days without feeling like I've completely screwed up, but I have to go at least twice. Drink plenty of water - I now drink 16 oz of water first thing in the morning before I am allowed to have a cup of coffee or tea. I have replaced my morning coffee with tea (no creamer = less calories). When I lost weight the first time, I cut way back on the creamer. I measured it out and discovered I was eating about 600 calories a day just in Coffeemate! I cut it back so I was consuming about 200 cals a day in Coffeemate. That was one of the most discouraging things when I gained all my weight back, because I was still measuring out my creamer and being very careful about it. But now, tea instead of coffee at home. And if I do get a coffee at Starbucks (because I am a Starbucks addict!), talls instead of grandes. Continue to use caloriecount.com. Last week I missed logging my food on Friday and on Sunday. I can miss 2 days a week and not feel like I've completely screwed up.

As you can see, I've lost 3 lbs in the last week (actually 2.8 lbs). I know a big loss to begin with is not uncommon and I will probably see a smaller loss next week. But it's great to see my efforts paying off again. I will post my progress during the week and weigh in on Mondays. Encouragement is very much appreciated!!!

Edit: I was doing some weird rounding before, but I've decided to round up instead of down. I had exactly 12.8 lbs to lose when I started, so I'm saying 13. So far I have lost 2.8 but the ticker only goes by whole pounds.

Had a cup of coffee this morning since my 4 year old woke me up in the middle of the night. Yesterday I did 45 minutes on the treadmill - walked 10, ran 10, walked 10, ran 10.

I've had a good week so far - Monday and Tuesday went well diet-wise. I did the gym on Monday and did a 4-mile Walk Away The Pounds DVD (60 minutes) on Tuesday. Wednesdays is a no-gym day for me. I thought I would do great again today with food...but...the pollen is so high today that I nearly scratched my face off. I felt awful and didn't want to mess with dinner before church (which is why there is no gym on Wednesdays), so DH decided to be helpful and brought home McDonald's. I eat McDonald's maybe once every two months, but when I do it is a 10-piece nuggets and about half of a medium fries with sweet tea. I know McNuggets are frankenfood, but it is a childhood comfort food for me. Thankfully I had been feeling too awful to eat much more than hot tea all day, so even with my horrible dinner I still stayed within my calorie limit. However now I feel fatty and salty.

Today I want to give up. I'm not going to meet my goal. It doesn't matter what I do, I'm going to be fat forever. This morning is my weekly weigh-in and I gained 0.2 lbs. Puts me at an overall loss of 2.6 lbs with 10 lbs to go. I did all 4 of my work-outs this week, and even walked a mile (15 minutes) on a 5th day. I only went over my calorie goal (1600) on one day (which was last Monday). So see - it doesn't matter.

Don't give up!!! You can do it!! We can plan things all we want, but life will always throw a wrench into things. It is all in how you deal with the wrenchs!

On Thursdays I like to weigh in the morning just to check on how I am doing for the week, although I don't "count" it - I only count Monday weigh-ins. This morning I am +1.2 from my weigh-in on Monday. So that puts me at only -1.4 overall. Very very very upset. I already did 2 work outs this week, Wednesday is my night off, and I will do 2 more tonight and Friday. I've been staying within my 1600 calorie limit and drinking all my water. And yet I gain weight.

Well my weigh-in this morning went ok. I'm actually back to where I was on December 5, minus another 0.2. -3.2 overall, 9.6 to go. Which is really surprising because I did awful this week. When I last posted on Thursday I had been sticking to my plan. But then I didn't log my food on Thursday, and I missed my work-out. Friday I logged my food and did a work-out, and then Saturday and Sunday I did log at all, so I missed 3 days of food journal and 1 work-out. I did walk around Magic Kingdom on Friday and then Epcot on Saturday pushing my giant double stroller, but I don't count that as a work-out.

Anyway, I'm not giving up - yet. But I'm really discouraged and I wonder if I'm just going to keep yo-yoing around and never have any real progress.

I managed to get through 2 weeks of holidays losing 0.6 lb. I guess you can call that a success?? I have 3 weeks and 9 lbs to go, so it's pretty obvious that I will NOT be making this goal. Although if I can lose 4 more I won't feel like a complete failure.

Today my goals are - log my calories and go to the gym!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter