11 yr. old 7th grader needs your help

Pigsty333

I get censored all the time
Florida School Post Card Exchange Contest
My son needs your help. He is 11 yrs, and is in 7th grade. Please don't let him down and help him.

Post Card Contest Request
We have a project in his geography class called "PostCard Exchange." Pease forward help and see how many cards we get.

The objective is to familiarize students with communities around the United States and beyong through communication with friends, family and personal travel.

How the competition works: Students compete with other class periods and their teacher. Whoever has the most postcards in December and then again in May wins. There will be a reward to the winning class in December and a reward to the winning class in May.

Rules:
Florida postcards (since this is where we reside) are nice and welcome, but they will not count towards the tally.
The postcard must have the student's first and last name written in greeting.
No electronic postcards.
Postcards must be sent directly to Oyssey Middle School and postmarked outside of Florida.
REGULATIONS:

Only 1 postcard per individual, per place. In other words, 6 postcards postmarked in Yonkers, NY from Grandma A equals 1 postcard. One postcard from Grandma A and one from Grandpa A equals 2 postcards. However, if Grandma A visits another town, state or country, she is more than welcome to send another postcard that will count towards tally.
Please understand that postcardsare being used for educational purposes. It is perceivable that they will be personal to students, to a certain degree. Be advised that if they are deemed inappropriate (anything that may be obviously embarassing to the student, his or her peers, or teacher) they will not count towards tally.
An international postcard counts as 5 domestic postcards.
Students are strongly encouraged to send postcards to their class when they travel outside of Florida during this school year.
Please send postcards to:

Kevin O'Donnell
c/o Odyssey Middle School
Ms. Flake's Geography Class
9290 Lee Vista Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32829

Not sure what to say: Here is the type of information we're looking for:

Climate Information
Local Landmarks
What people do for a living
Local new stories (write something about what is currently taking place in the area)
Anything related to Geography
Thank you so much for your help and we will try to let you know how he did.

Maria

This will be ongoing throughout the year with the end beginning of May 2005 when we get out of school.

Hey Maria,

I live in Ontario, Canada.

I'll try to get a postcard in the mail.

I'm new to the boards, but always happy to help a fellow disney enthusiast!

I spoke with the teacher because I was getting questions about sending cards in envelopes.

If you postmark them in different towns (some post offices will do that for you), then yes, you can put them in an envelope and send them like that to save on stamps. Remember, they must be postmarked in separate cities, if they are from only one person. If other people send (lets suppose you, a spouse, child, friends, siblings) send also, then they can have the same postmarks as yours.

I hope this clears up some of the questions and makes it easier.

He received 13 postcards today - Boston, Minneapolis and he has to document the others. I will be going to his class and help his teacher enter it all into the database.

She was excited today to start getting some.

I was getting ready to address my Six Flags postcard I bought for him last weekend, and your zipcode is too long!! Can you repost it please :)

Postcard from Hawaii arrived Thursday. They are getting excited now to see where they are all coming from. Kevin told me that their most exciting time of the day now is when their teacher starts to read the postcards and they have moved into FIRST PLACE.

Thank you to each and every one of you who have taken the time to help him out with this assignment.

It will take me a while posting where they are coming from, since the hurricanes are putting a damper on everything, including our mail. We are supposed to get hit by Jeanne around Sunday morning, so school will probably be closed again this Monday. We have lost 10 school days so far. We used no "Bad Weather Days" last year and we have use all of our allotted ones for this year and some. Kids have to be in the schools for so many extra days - we are giving up part of Thanksgiving, Christmas and Summer vacation.

Keep those cards coming. They really need a morale booster. It goes on all the way through May, so send more than one, whenever you remember him.

I'll send one, and I've asked my cousin in Australia to send him one - 5 points for that one!

I remember doing a similar project in elementary school. I only got a couple postcards and came in at the bottom of the list. :sad2: I'm hoping your son does much better than I did!!

It is very exciting. Here is a note that Kevin posted on the other boards regarding his postcard assignment:

Boy are we excited. After missing two more days from school because of hurricane Jeanne, we went to school today to find approximately 30 postcards. Mom will go to school this week to see and document where each one came from. However, we did receive postcards from the Oakland As (baseball team) and from NY Governor George Pataki.

We are so excited and can't wait to get to class to see where the next batch is from.

Thank you to each and everyone of you who has taken the time to send one and keep them coming.

You can count on Texas. I will try to get the people in my office to send postcards also. We all live in different Texas cities.

9/30/04 UPDATE

My son's teacher contacted me and she was very excited. Kevin alone received over 70 postcards today. She is so excited. I will be going in next week to help her catalog each and every one.

So far we have received from SC, MD, NJ, MA, NY, NC, MN, WA, TX, HI, PA, CA, IL, IN, ME, DC, WI, MO, GA, Canada, New Zealand and UK, so far this week. This does not include the ones received today, which have not been documented yet.

He got one from Gov. George Pataki of NY, the Oakland As, Baltimore Orioles and two other baseball teams, but he did not see those yet.

Keep those cards coming. Don't forget, the contest goes all the way through May 2005. They will pick a winning group in December and another winner in May.

Thank you again.

Thank you, thank you to each and everyone of you. Kevin has been doing great with the postcards. He has received some from very far away places and some celebrities.

Here is the latest: NY Governor George Pataki, baseball teams Pittsburgh Pirates, Oakland As, Baltimore Orioles, Kansas City Royals, Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter), cards from Hawaii, England, New Zealand have started coming in.

He is so excited. His teacher told him that after the end of the contest in May 2005 she will give him all the cards. We plan to do a scrapbook with it and document each and everyone of them.

He is so excited to talk about each one, the pictures and where they are from. What a great way to learn about the world. It has become a pictorial tour of the world.

Remember, this is ongoing so get your friends and family to send and keep them coming through May 2005.

He is in 1st place now.

Thank you all.

Anyone in the Orlando area who wants a tip or would like to meet us in one of the parks, send me a message.

Three cards from Oregon headed his way...

What's the update? How many cards has Kevin received and from where?

Over 600 cards from all over the US and the world except Antarctica. Not too bad.

Thank you to all that send in postcards. Here is what she gave me this week. Keep in mind that many more have been received, but she did not send me those yet. I will acknowledge them as soon as she forwards them to me:

Latvia Police; Judith McNeice (Belfast, N. Ireland); Philadelphia Phillies Baseball team; United States Senator Evan Bayh (Indiana); Valerie Kohler (Virginia & DC), Dulles, VA; Crystal, Altoona, PA; Miles Jones, Kalamazoo, Michigan; Vera Jones, Kalamazoo and Battle Creek, Michigan; Missouri - looks like R. S. Morack (hard to read the signature); Jane Garris, Childersburg, Alabama; Missouri D & PF Donna Milligan (donmil723); South Jersey- Ocean City (no signature); South Jersey - Ocean City, JX3Smom; Baltimore Orioles Baseball team; Kendra Oishi, San Diego, CA; Atlantic City, NJ - John LeGerard; Nathan, Altoona, PA; Tamira, Denver, CO; Paula, South Jersey (disboard); Amanda, Harrisburg, PA; Pawtucket, RI (post office bar code covering name); Dixfield (Portland) Maine (8ears), Tim, Mary, Kyle and Bryan Gray; Central, MA (Boston), goofy4tink; Minneapolis, MN, Tamie Kyes; Cyndee Saunders, NC; Susan (kirby-disboard), North Texas PDC; North TX PDC - Stonebridge CPU, McKinney, TX (Pluto2003); Kendra Oishi, Honolulu, HI; Linda, Lehigh Valley, PA; Hyannis Harbor, MA - Cape Cod, Deb Tokarski; Grand Rapids, Michigan (disboarder - no name given); Woodstock, Ontario Canada, Julie Nanasi (timndansmom); San Juan PR, Mayleen Ayala; Houston, Texas (dis member); Oscar L. Medina, San Juan, PR; Albuquerque, NM, Eric Arthur; Gary, Indiana, Leslie Cefari (Valparaiso, IN); Amy, St. Albans, VT, postmark Burlington; Greenville, SC (Jennifer); Tracy Landress, Atlanta, GA; Tori LeClair, Atlanta (north metro) GA; Paradise Pier, San Jose, CA, Krista Banks (disboard); Denise Arthur, Albuquerque, NM; No signature Disneyland card postmarked from Indiana; Gail Van Berger, New York, NY; Jared, Ocean CIty, NJ, South Jersey, (jccl1991 - disboard); Oakland A's baseball team; NY State Governon George E. Pataki; Carrie Cohen, Norfolk, VA; Sheri, Boston, MA; Eileen Rogean, Cornwall, UK; Detroit, MI, Kimberly Ryba (sunkissed212); S. Harmer, Phoenix AZ; Marcy, Erie PA; Freddy Vargas, NY (Yonkers); Lori Schlossnagle, Cumberland MD; Evelyn Ruby, Des Moines, IA; Ann (pluto2003), Texas PDC; Slickrock Adventures, Provo, Utah; Boise, ID (Vale, Oregon); Barbara Wozniak, Dayton, OH; Martha Diederich, Kalamazoo, MI; Ronda, Falls Creek, TN; Springfield, MA, Keith & Rachel Gammeli; Tara O'Rourke, Yonkers, NY; Grandpa O'Donnell, Yonkers, NY; Mr. Mrs. Loreto Cristini, Eastchester, NY; Linda Ramsey aka lullubelle, Santa Ana, CA; Michael McNamara, Auckland, New Zealand; Showbizjobs.com; US Senator Byron Dorgan, Fargo, ND; Vicki Jee, New Orleans, LA; Paula Murray, Rome Italy; Mueller Household, Houston (Woodlands) TX; Nancy, Reno, NV; Kristy Laitinen, Upper Peninsula of MI (Greenbay); Dale & Kate Ankrom, Redding, CA.

There are more, but I will post them sometime tomorrow. It is a shame that some were not signed, the post office barcoded some names and some we could not make out.

Thank you all. He is in first place.

Maria :cool1:

Thank you to all that send in postcards. Here is what she gave me this week. Keep in mind that many more have been received, but she did not send me those yet. I will acknowledge them as soon as she forwards them to me:

Latvia Police; Judith McNeice (Belfast, N. Ireland); Philadelphia Phillies Baseball team; United States Senator Evan Bayh (Indiana); Valerie Kohler (Virginia & DC), Dulles, VA; Crystal, Altoona, PA; Miles Jones, Kalamazoo, Michigan; Vera Jones, Kalamazoo and Battle Creek, Michigan; Missouri - looks like R. S. Morack (hard to read the signature); Jane Garris, Childersburg, Alabama; Missouri D & PF Donna Milligan (donmil723); South Jersey- Ocean City (no signature); South Jersey - Ocean City, JX3Smom; Baltimore Orioles Baseball team; Kendra Oishi, San Diego, CA; Atlantic City, NJ - John LeGerard; Nathan, Altoona, PA; Tamira, Denver, CO; Paula, South Jersey (disboard); Amanda, Harrisburg, PA; Pawtucket, RI (post office bar code covering name); Dixfield (Portland) Maine (8ears), Tim, Mary, Kyle and Bryan Gray; Central, MA (Boston), goofy4tink; Minneapolis, MN, Tamie Kyes; Cyndee Saunders, NC; Susan (kirby-disboard), North Texas PDC; North TX PDC - Stonebridge CPU, McKinney, TX (Pluto2003); Kendra Oishi, Honolulu, HI; Linda, Lehigh Valley, PA; Hyannis Harbor, MA - Cape Cod, Deb Tokarski; Grand Rapids, Michigan (disboarder - no name given); Woodstock, Ontario Canada, Julie Nanasi (timndansmom); San Juan PR, Mayleen Ayala; Houston, Texas (dis member); Oscar L. Medina, San Juan, PR; Albuquerque, NM, Eric Arthur; Gary, Indiana, Leslie Cefari (Valparaiso, IN); Amy, St. Albans, VT, postmark Burlington; Greenville, SC (Jennifer); Tracy Landress, Atlanta, GA; Tori LeClair, Atlanta (north metro) GA; Paradise Pier, San Jose, CA, Krista Banks (disboard); Denise Arthur, Albuquerque, NM; No signature Disneyland card postmarked from Indiana; Gail Van Berger, New York, NY; Jared, Ocean CIty, NJ, South Jersey, (jccl1991 - disboard); Oakland A's baseball team; NY State Governon George E. Pataki; Carrie Cohen, Norfolk, VA; Sheri, Boston, MA; Eileen Rogean, Cornwall, UK; Detroit, MI, Kimberly Ryba (sunkissed212); S. Harmer, Phoenix AZ; Marcy, Erie PA; Freddy Vargas, NY (Yonkers); Lori Schlossnagle, Cumberland MD; Evelyn Ruby, Des Moines, IA; Ann (pluto2003), Texas PDC; Slickrock Adventures, Provo, Utah; Boise, ID (Vale, Oregon); Barbara Wozniak, Dayton, OH; Martha Diederich, Kalamazoo, MI; Ronda, Falls Creek, TN; Springfield, MA, Keith & Rachel Gammeli; Tara O'Rourke, Yonkers, NY; Grandpa O'Donnell, Yonkers, NY; Mr. Mrs. Loreto Cristini, Eastchester, NY; Linda Ramsey aka lullubelle, Santa Ana, CA; Michael McNamara, Auckland, New Zealand; Showbizjobs.com; US Senator Byron Dorgan, Fargo, ND; Vicki Jee, New Orleans, LA; Paula Murray, Rome Italy; Mueller Household, Houston (Woodlands) TX; Nancy, Reno, NV; Kristy Laitinen, Upper Peninsula of MI (Greenbay); Dale & Kate Ankrom, Redding, CA.

There are more, but I will post them sometime tomorrow. It is a shame that some were not signed, the post office barcoded some names and some we could not make out.

Thank you all. He is in first place.

Maria :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter