$100 GC for $90 Sam's Club online

Clifton Tesh

DIS Veteran
Sam's club currently has $100 Disney gift cards for $90 online. You can only purchase two of them per membership but it's a heck of a deal either way.

You'll have to scroll down a little ways to find them. They're hiding near the bottom of the list.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240517-194914.png
    Screenshot_20240517-194914.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 10
Sam's club currently has $100 Disney gift cards for $90 online. You can only purchase two of them per membership but it's a heck of a deal either way.

You'll have to scroll down a little ways to find them. They're hiding near the bottom of the list.
Got some of these too! Hope they don’t go away soon

Anyone know if you can start buying more after a certain period of time? It keeps saying to come back soon when I attempt to add more to the cart.

Seen some other chains also sell their own gift cards at a discount. Wonder what they gain by doing this? Maybe they think the advertisement will gain them more customers?

Seen some other chains also sell their own gift cards at a discount. Wonder what they gain by doing this? Maybe they think the advertisement will gain them more customers?
It's guaranteed income whether you spend it or not.

Worldwide there is an estimated $33 billion in unused gift cards each year.

I'm not sure how much of that belongs to Disney but I know some of it does.

They also save money on credit and debit card processing fees.

It's guaranteed income whether you spend it or not.
In case anyone cares about the accounting minutia that goes on with GC's - It's actually much more complicated than that!

A company can not recognize a gift card sale as revenue - it does not impact their income statement until something is bought with it, then it hits the cost and revenue lines of their income statement.

Until it is spent, it is actually a debt on Disney's books - it's basically a loan from the consumer that will be paid off in product or services at some point. The one positive to Disney's books is that it bolster's it's cash on hand.

But, even if the GC is never used, a company can't just take the money paid for it to the bottom line because, in most states, they would be required to submit those unused GC monies to the state. Then they sit as "unclaimed property" until the state finally grabs the money. As usual, the government always wins...LOL

Last edited:
They also save money on credit and debit card processing fees.
I had not thought of that - it is an instant 2-4% savings for Disney, by pushing the processing fee to the various gift card sellers. That explains a good chunk of the regular discounts offered by the wholesale clubs.

In case anyone cares about the accounting minutia that goes on with GC's - It's actually much more complicated than that!

A company can not recognize a gift card sale as revenue - it does not impact their income statement until something is bought with it, then it hits the cost and revenue lines of their income statement.

Until it is spent, it is actually a debt on Disney's books - it's basically a loan from the consumer that will be paid off in product or services at some point. The one positive to Disney's books is that it bolster's it's cash on hand.

But, even if the GC is never used, a company can't just take the money paid for it to the bottom line because, in most states, they would be required to submit those unused GC monies to the state. Then they sit as "unclaimed property" until the state finally grabs the money. As usual, the government always wins...LOL
I took a class on this many years ago but have since forgotten more than what I learned but if I'm not mistaken they are allowed to have that "loan" sit inside of a special interest account until it is spent by the consumer, aren't they?

I remember there was some kind of protection on the money where it sat in a state of limbo where the company couldn't claim it until the consumer used it but I didn't know about the government being allowed to seize it as unclaimed property.

I took a class on this many years ago but have since forgotten more than what I learned but if I'm not mistaken they are allowed to have that "loan" sit inside of a special interest account until it is spent by the consumer, aren't they?

I remember there was some kind of protection on the money where it sat in a state of limbo where the company couldn't claim it until the consumer used it but I didn't know about the government being allowed to seize it as unclaimed property.
Not sure about the interest account but it sounds logical.

As for unclaimed property, it looks like less than half of the states require forfeiture:

Every year, big companies calculate “breakage,” which is the amount of gift card liability they believe won’t be redeemed based on historical averages. For some companies, like Seattle-based Starbucks, breakage is a huge profit-driver. Starbucks reported $212 million in revenue from breakage in 2022.

But in at least 19 states — including Delaware, where many big companies are incorporated — retailers must work with state unclaimed property programs to return money from unspent gift cards to consumers. Money that isn’t recovered by individual consumers is spent on public service initiatives; in the states’ view, it shouldn’t go to companies because they haven’t provided a service to earn it.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/econom...ld-gift-card-heres-what-happens-to-that-money

BTW, that must have been some exciting class! LOL

Last edited:
BTY, that must have been some exciting class! LOL
It really was. It covered non traditional payment methods from an accounting and tax perspective and the guy giving the class did a wonderful job at actually making it interesting.

It covered things like gift cards, trades and barters, prepay over time circumstances, and stuff like that.

I learned a lot about things I didn't even know existed.

Howdy!

I just wanted you to know we cover all Warehouses on the Updated Disney Gift Card Deals and More thread.

I also have a post dedicated just for buying Disney gift cards, here's the link to Post #1: Disney Gift Card Deals ONLY

The main posts are updated daily so there's no need to scroll through pages.

Hope to see you there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter